Hair Selection

Post by Vito Zarrill » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to find a way to get a good selection of whispy hair in an
image I am knocking out. I tried to udjust the levels to improve the
contrast but I am hitting dead ends. Does anyone have a sure fire method
of hair selection?

Thanks,

Hair Selection

Post by MaD_Mm » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

go into your chanels and pick the best one to seperate the hair from the
background
make a copy of that chanel
use the highpassfilter with a setting around 10 (depends on the picture
though)
then use the levels

there is a good tutorial on this in the photshop 4 bible,you might want to
flip through it if you see it at a store,or you might even buy it....hope
this helps some

Hair Selection

Post by JT » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Another way to make complex selections is to:

Goto the channels pallette

Copy the channel with the highest contrast the seperates what you want to
select

Use the dodge and burn tools on the copied channel to further refine the
channel until it is nothing but black and white

Gain extra control over dodge and burn by selecting shadows midtone or
higlights while dodgine/burning

Then use that channel as a selection

This method provides very precise control and if you have a pent tablet it
rocks.  You can make very complex selections in no time at all.

>I am trying to find a way to get a good selection of whispy hair in an
>image I am knocking out. I tried to udjust the levels to improve the
>contrast but I am hitting dead ends. Does anyone have a sure fire method
>of hair selection?

>Thanks,

1. Hair Selection

Hi,
I wonder if any one would be good enough to give me some guidance. I'm a
hobbyist who's been studying Photoshop for a couple of years now. I feel
fairly familiar with the program but I have great difficulty in making masks
for hair.  In this particular case the subject is standing
in front of a red painted background and has very fine dark hair. I've been
using Colour Range with lots of different settings. I've tried low fuzziness
with lots of sample points (which didn't select the fine detail) and I've
tried high fuzziness with lots of sample points (the fine detail was
selected but was heavily polluted with red from the background).  I've also
tried duplicating one of the colour channels and using  levels to increase
the contrast between the subject and the background, but to no avail. When I
bring the selection into a new doc and attempt to lose the red 'halo' I lose
the fine detail as well!
Should I consider buying a professional plugin such as MaskPro from
Extensis? Or is the answer to continue practicing with Colour Range?
Ant

2. ANYONE WANNA TRADE

3. best way to draw a selection around hair?

4. cheap cad-type apps

5. Hair - Perfect Selection

6. Shrink wrap one shape around another.

7. Hair distribution and hair length mapping problems.

8. New Graphic Software Just about Free! Direct to You

9. Basics-Moving from selection to selection?

10. Tool box selection - turn off selection im PSE 2.0

11. selection other than with the selection buffer

12. Save selection (NOT selection content!)