Prints on Wood

Post by Dave » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:36:24

At a show, a Garden and Home show, which I visited yesterday,
I saw Fine Art Prints being printed on wood. Or at least, that is
the impression. It certainly is not paintings, but photos with the
edges roughed up, so to create the impression of paintings.
It may be artificial wood, but the question still remains.
Any one with an idea how this could be done?

Prints on Wood

Post by Johan W. Elzeng » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:41:21

> At a show, a Garden and Home show, which I visited yesterday,
> I saw Fine Art Prints being printed on wood. Or at least, that is
> the impression. It certainly is not paintings, but photos with the
> edges roughed up, so to create the impression of paintings.
> It may be artificial wood, but the question still remains.
> Any one with an idea how this could be done?

Printing is usually done on specially prepared materials. A coating on
the material is used to keep the ink. That means that the underlying
material can be anything, including wood.

--
Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer,  www.johanfoto.com

Prints on Wood

Post by Dave » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:42:01

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 02:41:21 -0500, Johan W. Elzenga

>> At a show, a Garden and Home show, which I visited yesterday,
>> I saw Fine Art Prints being printed on wood. Or at least, that is
>> the impression. It certainly is not paintings, but photos with the
>> edges roughed up, so to create the impression of paintings.
>> It may be artificial wood, but the question still remains.
>> Any one with an idea how this could be done?

>Printing is usually done on specially prepared materials. A coating on
>the material is used to keep the ink. That means that the underlying
>material can be anything, including wood.

Thanks Johan, and sorry for this late reply
but I went to my office minutes after posting this message.
I am still curious how it can be printed on something like wood.
The only printers I know of, can print on nothing else than paper.
I have formerly seen somewhere an ad for making prints on ceramic
tiles. Prints are done on Venetian blinds. Now on wood.
What kind of equipment or printers are used there for?

Prints on Wood

Post by Johan W. Elzeng » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:37:15

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 02:41:21 -0500, Johan W. Elzenga

>>> At a show, a Garden and Home show, which I visited yesterday,
>>> I saw Fine Art Prints being printed on wood. Or at least, that is
>>> the impression. It certainly is not paintings, but photos with the
>>> edges roughed up, so to create the impression of paintings.
>>> It may be artificial wood, but the question still remains.
>>> Any one with an idea how this could be done?

>> Printing is usually done on specially prepared materials. A coating
> > on
>> the material is used to keep the ink. That means that the underlying
>> material can be anything, including wood.

> Thanks Johan, and sorry for this late reply
> but I went to my office minutes after posting this message.
> I am still curious how it can be printed on something like wood.
> The only printers I know of, can print on nothing else than paper.
> I have formerly seen somewhere an ad for making prints on ceramic
> tiles. Prints are done on Venetian blinds. Now on wood.
> What kind of equipment or printers are used there for?

Obvously are special kind of printers. My large format printer can print
on canvas and carton as well. Another possibiliy is to use wax transfer.
 http://www.instructables.com/id/Printing-colour-images-on-to-wood%3A-...

--

Post by Dave » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 03:07:07

>> > At a show, a Garden and Home show, which I visited yesterday,
>> > I saw Fine Art Prints being printed on wood. Or at least, that is
>> > the impression. It certainly is not paintings, but photos with the
>> > edges roughed up, so to create the impression of paintings.
>> > It may be artificial wood, but the question still remains.
>> > Any one with an idea how this could be done?

>> Printing is usually done on specially prepared materials. A coating on
>> the material is used to keep the ink. That means that the underlying
>> material can be anything, including wood.

>    And you meant to say "T-Shirt Transfer" or something like that?  If you
>want to print directly on wood then you may need a special printer (more
>like PRESS then print).

Thanks Joe. I should have added 'the printers I know can print on
paper, canvas and T-Shirts.' Like you said, more like 'press than
print'.

Prints on Wood

Post by Dave » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 03:15:54

Quote:

>Obvously are special kind of printers. My large format printer can print
>on canvas and carton as well. Another possibiliy is to use wax transfer.
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Printing-colour-images-on-to-wood%3A-...

Thanks again, Johan. And thank you for this interesting link.
I am certainly going to experiment herewith:-)

1. wtd: procedural texture to simulate wood grain

Hi,

I'm looking for a procedural texture map compatible with macromedia
extreme 3d that simulates wood grain.

If you know where one is I would be grateful if you let me know.

TIA

Mr Flibble

2. Help....

3. wood type

4. RGB to HVS, and back

5. *NEW* 4 PSP Tutorials WOOD - ROCK - 3D FILTER - OUTLINE

6. DuSK 3D v0.2 Demo Test

7. RENDERED Stone and Wood Picture Frames

8. wood grain problem in POV-Ray

9. wood.inc fails on "Clear"

10. Mini tutorial on POV-Ray wood textures

11. wood textures and pov ray 3.1

12. Modeling Wood Blinds