Single color gradient

Single color gradient

Post by upperclas » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 03:40:03



Hi,

I would like to create a gradient on an image. However, I'm limited by
the # of colors that I can use. So the question is...how to I create a
gradient-like effect using just one color so that the color appears
diffused into emptiness.

Thank you.

 
 
 

Single color gradient

Post by taci » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 06:54:00




> I would like to create a gradient on an image. However, I'm limited by
> the # of colors that I can use. So the question is...how to I create a
> gradient-like effect using just one color so that the color appears
> diffused into emptiness.

It's not clear what the constraints are. What do you mean when you say
that you're limited by the number of colors you can use? Do you mean
that you are creating an image for the Web and can only use a certain
number of colors, as with a GIF? If so, each shade of the same color
counts as a separate color. Or do you mean you'll be preparing images
for print? If so, will you be printing in CMYK or spot color?

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

 
 
 

Single color gradient

Post by upperclas » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:31:01


The image will be printed [not sure which type].

The design constraint is that the # of distinct colors used must be
less than N.
Where N is a small number.

I still want to have a gradient look in the image.

Thanks.




> > I would like to create a gradient on an image. However, I'm limited by
> > the # of colors that I can use. So the question is...how to I create a
> > gradient-like effect using just one color so that the color appears
> > diffused into emptiness.

> It's not clear what the constraints are. What do you mean when you say
> that you're limited by the number of colors you can use? Do you mean
> that you are creating an image for the Web and can only use a certain
> number of colors, as with a GIF? If so, each shade of the same color
> counts as a separate color. Or do you mean you'll be preparing images
> for print? If so, will you be printing in CMYK or spot color?

> --
> Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all athttp://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

 
 
 

Single color gradient

Post by taci » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:28:11




> The image will be printed [not sure which type].

> The design constraint is that the # of distinct colors used must be
> less than N.
> Where N is a small number.

> I still want to have a gradient look in the image.

You can create a gradient that goes from a single color to white, or a
single color to transparent, using the Gradient tool.

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

 
 
 

Single color gradient

Post by upperclas » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:08:17


Thank you for your answer!

I actually just found out the answer.
Using gradient w/ white will employ some other colors in between [the
lighter tones of the base color].

A solution that I am happy w/ is to convert the image into indexed
color mode [Image>Mode].

I probably didn't describe the problem very precisely.
Thanks anyway!




> > The image will be printed [not sure which type].

> > The design constraint is that the # of distinct colors used must be
> > less than N.
> > Where N is a small number.

> > I still want to have a gradient look in the image.

> You can create a gradient that goes from a single color to white, or a
> single color to transparent, using the Gradient tool.

> --
> Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all athttp://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html