Acrobat images

Post by Stan The M » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

This is a bit off-topic but I'm stumbling around with my brand new Acrobat
Exchange/Distiller 3.0 + Photoshop 4.0 + Quark 3.32r5 trying, without much
success to plumb the mysteries of the universe, so if anyone here can shed
any light on a couple of issues I would be very grateful.

What I'm trying to do should be simple enough -- create pdf files of
advertising artwork created in Quark using, mostly, Photoshop cmyk eps
images. My client wants to put the pdf versions on cross-platform CD-ROM
for distribution to his network of dealers. However, I haven't been able to
discover any level of compression which displays the artwork pdf without
seriously pixellating the eps photos at 100 per cent view - or any view,
come to that. And not unnaturally, my client doesn't want his beloved
products to display in this stairstepped state.

I've read Adobe's docs until I went dizzy and I'm getting conflicting
messages so maybe someone can put me straight. These are my assumptions:

1.  From any page layout program, always export to a postscript file and
then convert to pdf with Distiller -- ie don't use the Acrobat PDF Writer
shortcut.

2.  For CD-ROM distribution, don't use images in tiff or eps format. (But,
presumably, I _can_ use either of these in my Quark file if I set Acrobat
to any level of jpeg compression.... and there would only be a problem if I
created the pdf file without any image compression...??). Naturally, my
preference would be to create my pdf file from the original Quark file
without having to create a new Quark file with images in a different
format... However, the best on-screen display of the pdf file is when I
recreate my Quark file with pict images and set Acrobat not to compress the
images. But these pdf files are mighty big. There must be a happy
compromise somewhere...

3.  I have unchecked all the 'smoothing' options in my printer setup
options, as instructed. I have also selected the Acronbat PPD -- however, I
am using my standard HP LaserJet 8.2.1 driver instead of Adobe's supplied
8.3.1 PSPrinter driver, and I don't seem to be encountering any other
problems...

4.  I am selecting Postscript Level 2 only, Acrobat 3 compatibility and
have experimented with ASCII and binary options.

If anyone can recommend a setup which gives me smooth pdf images from my
original Quark files, I would be v. grateful. I'm not overly concerned
about the size of the pdf file except that I would like _some_ level of
compression.

Thanx

Stan
--
Stan The Man
+++* under this Macintosh+++

Acrobat images

Post by Bobby Henderso » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> This is a bit off-topic but I'm stumbling around with my brand new Acrobat
> Exchange/Distiller 3.0 + Photoshop 4.0 + Quark 3.32r5 trying, without much
> success to plumb the mysteries of the universe, so if anyone here can shed
> any light on a couple of issues I would be very grateful.

I'm running Acrobat 3.0 on my PC thanks to the PageMaker 6.5 upgrade.
From what I understand, you're using your HP printer driver as the PPD
for Acrobat?  I installed the Adobe Postscript PPD driver in my system.
It appears as an available printer in my print menu and I simply print
the document to file.  Acrobat Distiller converts the .PRN files into
PDF format.  I usually get very good results with this, but I do have
some complaints.

Sometimes when I print to Acrobat from Corel, sometimes the vector art
seems to have a little too much Magenta compared to the original CDR
file.

Freehand 7 has its own PDF export filter, but I never use it since it
always ignores the fonts in the document and defaults to the Acrobat
serif and san serif multiple master fonts.  Once in a while I have the
same problem with PageMaker 6.5.  Everything seems to work better when
printing to Acrobat.

For displaying bitmaps, such as from Photoshop, I think you really have
to play with the preferences file.  But for me it seems to work pretty
good.

1. Optimising Acrobat images

[...]

+++Naked under this Macintosh+++

2. D3D Discussiongroups

3. Pagemaker + Acrobat + Images?

4. G4 and video editing..

5. Selecting Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader? (OS 9)

6. Give me Feedback pleeeeeeease

7. ACROBAT 4 (MAC) vs. ACROBAT 3 PE

8. external model

9. Free help with Acrobat (Adobe Acrobat)

10. ACROBAT 4 (MAC) vs. ACROBAT 3 PE

11. about adobe acrobat

12. Acrobat and WWW link Parameters