Batch reduction of large files?

Post by Fred » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:08:18

Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of photos
taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K size for
posting on website.

Hopefully this can be done using a stand-along application.  All I know how
to do now is open each one, reduce it and resave it which is not possible
with this many photos.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Batch reduction of large files?

Post by jjs » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:26:58

Quote:> Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of
> photos
> taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K size for
> posting on website.

> Hopefully this can be done using a stand-along application.  All I know
> how
> to do now is open each one, reduce it and resave it which is not possible
> with this many photos.

You have photoshop, the best product of its kind, and you think it might not
do that? There are several ways. Press F1 and look into Automation and Web
Gallery. The later will cut the images to size and create the web page for
you. (Filt - automate - web gallery).

Batch reduction of large files?

Post by Fred » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:47:25

Thanks, but I don't have photoshop.

> > Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of
> > photos
> > taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K size for
> > posting on website.

> > Hopefully this can be done using a stand-along application.  All I know
> > how
> > to do now is open each one, reduce it and resave it which is not
possible
> > with this many photos.

> You have photoshop, the best product of its kind, and you think it might
not
> do that? There are several ways. Press F1 and look into Automation and Web
> Gallery. The later will cut the images to size and create the web page for
> you. (Filt - automate - web gallery).

Batch reduction of large files?

Post by Mike William » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:08:14

Quote:>Thanks, but I don't have photoshop.

You can also do it in a fairly similar manner in Paint Shop Pro.

If you haven't got that (and why are you asking the question on
newsgroups associated with software you don't have?) you could download
the trial version.

If you don't want to do that, then it is possible to do it with
Irfanview, which is Freeware. You need to use File:Batch_Conversion,
switch on "Use Advanced Options" and perform "Set Advanced Options" to
specify the scaling.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post by Fred » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:10:22

> You can also do it in a fairly similar manner in Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks. How? I've got PSP.

Post by 1000 » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:30:50

>> You can also do it in a fairly similar manner in Paint Shop Pro.

> Thanks. How? I've got PSP.

First you buy a clue.

Post by Uni » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:35:06

> Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of photos
> taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K size for
> posting on website.

> Hopefully this can be done using a stand-along application.  All I know how
> to do now is open each one, reduce it and resave it which is not possible
> with this many photos.

> Thanks in advance!

> Fred

http://irfanview.com and check the Advanced Batch options.

Actually, Irfanview's Sharpening does a better job than Paint Shop Pro's
Unsharp Mask.

Uni

Post by Scead » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:21:56

>> Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of
>> photos taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K
>> size for posting on website.

>> Hopefully this can be done using a stand-along application.  All I know
>> how to do now is open each one, reduce it and resave it which is not
>> possible with this many photos.

>> Thanks in advance!

>> Fred

> http://irfanview.com and check the Advanced Batch options.

Good advice.

Quote:> Actually, Irfanview's Sharpening does a better job than Paint Shop Pro's
> Unsharp Mask.

Not really. Unsharp Mask with an edge mask is much better, and Unsharp Mask
on its own can be fine tuned. Irfanview lets you punch in one integer from
1-99.

Sceadu

Post by Scead » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:25:54

>>> You can also do it in a fairly similar manner in Paint Shop Pro.

>> Thanks. How? I've got PSP.

> First you buy a clue.

Funny how your "suggestions" always involve payment.

Sceadu

Post by Uni » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:59:37

>>> Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of
>>> photos taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K
>>> size for posting on website.

>>> Hopefully this can be done using a stand-along application.  All I know
>>> how to do now is open each one, reduce it and resave it which is not
>>> possible with this many photos.

>>> Thanks in advance!

>>> Fred

>> http://irfanview.com and check the Advanced Batch options.

> Good advice.

>> Actually, Irfanview's Sharpening does a better job than Paint Shop Pro's
>> Unsharp Mask.

> Not really. Unsharp Mask with an edge mask is much better, and Unsharp Mask
> on its own can be fine tuned. Irfanview lets you punch in one integer from
> 1-99.

Just because you have a group of variables that can be changed, doesn't
mean the final result will look better.

Uni

Quote:

--
Got Milk? No, But Got super news!
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/supernews.html

Batch reduction of large files?

Post by NIK » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:05:43

If you have PSP why did you post a question in a adobe newsgroup.
Why did you not post it in a PSP or a corel newsgroup?

NIK

Post by Uni » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:08:30

> If you have PSP why did you post a question in a adobe newsgroup.
> Why did you not post it in a PSP or a corel newsgroup?

Probably wanted to hear what the professionals had to say about it.

:-)

Uni

> NIK

>>>You can also do it in a fairly similar manner in Paint Shop Pro.

>>Thanks. How? I've got PSP.

Batch reduction of large files?

Post by Fred » Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:15:57

Many thanks, Kris and everyone for the great and quick help!!!

Happy New Year!

Fred

Post by Pete » Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:45:02

> Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of photos
> taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K size for
> posting on website.

JpegSizer will do this and a lot more during the batch process, such as
re-sharpening after resizing, and adding captions (watermarks).

It will also let you generate resized thumbnails AND full-screen images in
the same batch run.

Free trial downloads at http://jpegsizer.tangotools.com?s=ng

HTH

Peter

Need to resize images for email attachments or web pages?
   Try Jpeg Sizer at: http://www.tangotools.com?s=ng

Batch reduction of large files?

Post by Colonel Bli » Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:53:26

Hello, Fred!
You wrote  on Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:08:18 GMT:

 F> Anyone know how to reduce a batch of JPG files?  I have a CD full of
 F> photos taken at a club event.  Each is 2-4MB and I only need 70-200K
 F> size for posting on website.

 F> Hopefully this can be done using a stand-along application.  All I know
 F> how to do now is open each one, reduce it and resave it which is not
 F> possible with this many photos.

 F> Thanks in advance!

 F> Fred

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.

1. Large POV Files (How Large is Large ?)

Large POV Files (How Large is Large ?)

I'm running out of memory when running POV against files between 1.2MB
and 3MB.

Is there a relationship between *.POV file size and the amount of memory
required ? I would guess that the internal memory structures used by POV
would be much more compact than the size of the file in bytes.

I'm not good with DOS so treat me with kid gloves when you tell me how to
maximize memory.

I've got a Packard Bell 8MB Ram virtual memory on, Windows 95. I use Blob
editor to create amorphous shapes. The blob files get out of hand.
Zillions of triangles.

Is smooth traingles vs regular triangles a memory consideration ? \

2. character sets - charset and codepages

3. Batch PCX colour reduction

4. lightwave ad in new game developer mag

5. 24bit to 16bit image batch conversion/reduction

6. JPEG image compression FAQ, part 1/2

7. PSP X2 Crashing On File Open Or File Batch Process

8. Howto: Create a multi-line and justified text box control *From Scratch*

9. changing a larger file to a smaller file.

10. Graphics File Size Reduction

11. Tips for extreme file size reduction?

12. Graphics File Size Reduction