enlarge/clone a region

Post by mickCybe » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:07:34

Hi
i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
Many thanks
Michael
PS: PS or Gimp

enlarge/clone a region

Post by Andrew Morto » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 18:22:05

> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region
> to around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone
> tool but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?

What do you mean by "panel"? Is it a panel as in some part of a window on
the computer, or just some arbitrary section of a photo? If the former, you
could try using nearest neighbour interpolation when enlarging it. And what
are these "transitions" of which you speak?

The clone tool is probably not what you're after: you likely want to select
the region and transform it (<ctrl>T), you can set exact values in the
Options panel at the top.

Andrew

enlarge/clone a region

Post by Ragna » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:04:29

Quote:> Hi
> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
> around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
> but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
> Many thanks
> Michael
> PS: PS or Gimp

I do not have the latest version of PS but AFAIK you can not use the clone
tool to make an enlarged copy.
You need to copy the small region to a new layer then use Transform to make
it 20x bigger. There is no way of doing this without 'any visible effects'.
I hope I have understood your question correctly.
R.

enlarge/clone a region

Post by Kabuk » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 03:53:05

Quote:> Hi
> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
> around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
> but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
> Many thanks
> Michael
> PS: PS or Gimp

If you can post the picture it would help to give the right advice

often I have a picture that the background does not cover the layout shape-
I have used transform to stretch it out but it works best on solid or
gradient areas. Have also used it to elongate a model's legs. NOTE:  when I
make the marquee I use a big feather to soften the transition and not get a
'crack"

another way is to copy part of the "panel" and paste it, you may still need
the clone tool to blend the areas

enlarge/clone a region

Post by Mike Russel » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:00:45

>> Hi
>> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
>> around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
>> but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
>> Many thanks
>> Michael
>> PS: PS or Gimp

> I do not have the latest version of PS but AFAIK you can not use the clone
> tool to make an enlarged copy.
> You need to copy the small region to a new layer then use Transform to make
> it 20x bigger. There is no way of doing this without 'any visible effects'.
> I hope I have understood your question correctly.
> R.

CS4 will do a variety of transforms using the clone tool, including making
an enlarged copy.  This usually saves having to dupe the source image when
the cloned area is rotated, flipped, or a different size.  It's a major
upgrade feature that doesn't get mentioned very much.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com

enlarge/clone a region

Post by el Condor loc » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:22:00

Quote:> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
> around 20x the size without any visible effects?

if enlarging quite a bit (x20 sounds like 'a bit' ),   why not convert
the selection to a "smart object" ?  If you have CS or higher version
of PhotoShop, will be under the "Layer" pull downs as: 'Group into
Smart Object'.........   Then use the 'transform' hot key / or
'transform' pull down under the "Edit" heading.  Then when finished
resizing (up or down), convert the vectorized Smart Object back into a
'raster' graphic.  Just changes rasters into vectors & then back
again..............    other ways to do in PS I'm sure, but that's a
qwik way I use that won't pixelate your enlargements like blowing up a
raster image.........
   Curt H.

enlarge/clone a region

Post by Andrew Morto » Fri, 05 Mar 2010 00:50:17

>> CS4 will do a variety of transforms using the clone tool, including
>> making an enlarged copy.  This usually saves having to dupe the
>> source image when the cloned area is rotated, flipped, or a
>> different size.  It's a major upgrade feature that doesn't get
>> mentioned very much.

> I don't have CS4 to know that CS4 can enlarge using Clone Tool
> command, and I have never heard nor seen any program can do the
> impossible.

I didn't know about that either, but FWIW it's mentioned in step 7 of
"Retouch with the Clone Stamp tool" in
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e410...

But having thought about it, I think the OP should shrink the rest of the
image rather than enlarging an area, thus avoiding undesired artefacts in
the now relatively enlarged area, seeing as that's probably the area of
interest.

Andrew

enlarge/clone a region

Post by Mike Russel » Fri, 05 Mar 2010 04:44:29

>>> I do not have the latest version of PS but AFAIK you can not use the clone
>>> tool to make an enlarged copy.
>>> You need to copy the small region to a new layer then use Transform to make
>>> it 20x bigger. There is no way of doing this without 'any visible effects'.
>>> I hope I have understood your question correctly.
>>> R.

>> CS4 will do a variety of transforms using the clone tool, including making
>> an enlarged copy.  This usually saves having to dupe the source image when
>> the cloned area is rotated, flipped, or a different size.  It's a major
>> upgrade feature that doesn't get mentioned very much.

>    I don't have CS4 to know that CS4 can enlarge using Clone Tool command,
> and I have never heard nor seen any program can do the impossible.

>    *If* you are talking about the TRANSFORM command then some of us have
> already mentioned it/them (Photoshop has several options).

LOL - it's there.  Adobe offers a free 30 day trial so you can take it for
a spin.  The clone tool enhancement is not the biggest addition to CS4, but
certainly one that is extensive relative to the number of people who have
tried it out.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com

1. clone tool - clone from all layers?

Anybody know a way to set the clone tool to clone
from all layers?  Photoshop 5 has this option, but I
didn't see it in the latest stable gimp.

Eric Rosenthal

Software Engineer
Disney TV animation

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Tiff

3. Region internals, calculating area of a region?

4. tutorial

5. Help - Collapsing Regions (Was Disappearing Regions)

6. Scaling an inertia matrix ?

7. enlarging JPEG art work

8. Size of tic numbers

9. Need to enlarge and tile graphics

10. Enlarging

11. Enlarging Images without the Cube Effect

12. Enlarging