Layers vs. channels?

Post by Jukk » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am a newcomer to PhotoShop and am impressed (as well as somewhat daunted)
by the program. The thing which confuses me is the difference between
channels and layers. Are they interchangeable, e.g.adjustment layer vs.
channel. What are the benefits of using one over another.
Thanks in advance.
Jukka

Layers vs. channels?

Post by Charles W Freelan » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Layers are like transparent pieces of film which you can draw on.
Channels are more complicated: If you work in RGB mode, you have on
channel for each color (One contains only red data, one green and one
only blue), plus a composit channel which combines all the primary
channels to create a color image.

You can add other channels, usually refered to as Alpha Channels. These
do not provide any color info to the image, rather these allow you to
save selections for later use. They also allow you to convert a
selection to a graphic format (like using the Quickmask mode) which can
then be manipulated using all the other tools (Filters, brushes, lassos,
etc.)

Channels are one of the single most powerful things in photoshop, and
they aren't that hard to learn, so spend some time experimenting and
you'll get the hand of it.

If you need more info drop me a line.

Charles

Layers vs. channels?

Post by Han Hsing Chuo » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I am a newcomer to PhotoShop and am impressed (as well as somewhat daunted)
>by the program. The thing which confuses me is the difference between
>channels and layers. Are they interchangeable, e.g.adjustment layer vs.
>channel. What are the benefits of using one over another.
>Thanks in advance.
>Jukka

In many cases the use of channels and layers are interchangeable
(in the case of creating drop shadows for instance).  however,
as a professional artist I have found channels to be of more
use in subject isolation and creating small objects such
as web site buttons.  I have used layers primarily for
creating collages and for putting creative ideas together.

Visit a site which I did almost exclusively with
Photoshop4.0  It is a fun site and something I've
done in my free time.

http://www.ndsn.com/starcraft

Jim

1. layers vs. channels?

I have been experimenting with some of the tips supplied by Cooltype for
Photoshop and have noticed that sometimes layers are used for different type of
text effects and other times channels are used. What would be better to use on
which items/filters and why? I know layers are for "layering" items upon each
other, but why would channels be sometimes used for this? I have tried  to
understand what the difference in usages would be, and when to apply it, but
still can't figure it out. Any insight/help that anyone can give me on this
would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
-Leslie

2. 3DS Max tutorial on jpg

3. Layer mask VS Channel mask

4. RichEdit

5. PS7: Layer Transparency vs Alpha Channel(s)?

6. Volumetric display demo at conference

7. Proofing spot channels vs layers

8. Help: will 5.5 work with win 2000?

9. Channels vs. Layers

10. Channels vs Layers

11. alpha channels vs layers

12. layers layers layers PS 4 vs merge

13. Using layer or channel for opacity between two layers question