Transferring a mask (alpha channel) from one image to another

Transferring a mask (alpha channel) from one image to another

Post by Norm Dresne » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 03:40:36

I had two Photoshop files which were both derived from the same original
image.  I had created a mask (alpha channel) in one that I wanted to use in
the other.  Since I couldn't find any "official procedure" for doing this,
here's what I did:
    1. View Quick Mask in source file
    2.  Select All and Copy.
    3.  Paste new layer into destination file.
    4.  Since the new layer is just a black and white image, I used Select
Color to create a selection based on the white part
    5.  Save Selection of mask in destination image
    6.  Delete pasted layer, leaving just the original destination file with
the new selection.

Is there any easier way to do this???

    TIA
    `    Norm

Transferring a mask (alpha channel) from one image to another

Post by ronvi.. » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 04:20:11

Quote:> Is there any easier way to do this???

>     TIA
>     `    Norm

One possibility, but I'm not sure its any easier, would be:
with both images open
select the layer with the mask
go to channels palette and shift-drag the channel to the other image
load channel as selection and apply mask

Transferring a mask (alpha channel) from one image to another

Post by taci » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:30:44

In article

Quote:>     1. View Quick Mask in source file
>     2.  Select All and Copy.
>     3.  Paste new layer into destination file.
>     4.  Since the new layer is just a black and white image, I used Select
> Color to create a selection based on the white part
>     5.  Save Selection of mask in destination image
>     6.  Delete pasted layer, leaving just the original destination file with
> the new selection.

> Is there any easier way to do this???

God yes.

Open your Channels palette. Click on the alpha channel in the channels
palette, hold down the mouse button, drag it to the second image. That's
it!

You can also click on it in the Channels palette, Select All, Copy, go
to the new image, create a new cannel, Paste. Click-and-drag is easier.

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

1. alpha channels, alpha channels

Its not too often I'm intimidated by semantics, but this is one of those cases.
It sounds like a term Scotty would have used to explain why the teleporter
wasn't working that day, but its too important not to grasp, I've had enough.
Everything I've read describes what they do and I have definite ideas about
how I want to use them, but the only way I'll penetrate the kernel of
understanding is through a step-by-step tutorial.  All the learning material
seems to stop short right at that point.  I'd love to be able to create
seamless texturemaps and transparent masks but so far its been like,
"okay, so I've saved this black and white layer thing."  Could anyone
out there spin me around and point me in a direction?  As applied mainly
to Photoshop and 3DStudio at this point.

2. view dwg in html browser

3. Alpha Channel Mask -translucent

4. 3D Studio Max R-2 Manuals and books

6. No smooth sufrace with Polygon

7. Layer mask VS Channel mask

8. Beautiful textures FREE

9. layering, layer masking, masks en channels

10. Spot channels vs. Alpha channels

11. Creating alpha-transparency mask from flat image?

12. opening images with alpha channels...

13. Define: Alpha channels,Channels.Grayscale,Layers