newbie question-file resolution vs. printer resolution

newbie question-file resolution vs. printer resolution

Post by Michell » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a basic question about the relationship between the printer
resolution and the file resolution.
For example-I am printing a photo from Photoshop to a printer that can print
1200 x 1200 dpi.  I have read that the standard for print is 300 dpi.  When
printing from PS it seems the highest res. I can set it at is 600 dpi (in
the print...menu).  Can someone please explain to me how one gets the
maximum photo quality from a printer that can do 1200 x 1200?
I hope my question makes sense, and that someone can explain this to me.
Thank you,
Michelle

1. Printer Resolution Versus Image File Resolution

Hi All,

I have a question regarding printer resolution versus original JPG file
resolution. I have skimmed several times through Deke McClelland's Photoshop
Bible for 5.0 and have not found a clear cut satisfying answer. I hope some of
you  knowledgeable readers can set me straight.

I am confused about this resolution thing. Please correct me if I am wrong; I
have always assumed that I can't get more true resolution from an image file
once it is out of the camera.

Do I have to convert the resolution of my JPG file to 266 pixels per inch or
just print it as it exists and let my printer software do the conversion (will
it do the conversion)?

Converting a 4.5Mbyte file to a resolution of  266 pixels per inch causes me to
use up approximately 4 times the amount of disk storage. Is this step really
necessary?

Just for the record, I use a DC260 Kodak Digital Camera to produces JPG images
1536 pixels wide by 1024 pixels high at 72 pixels per inch resolution (per
Photoshop 5.5  menu item Image->Image Size).  I like to make 8"x10" prints from
my JPG images using EPSON Photo Paper S041141. My software settings on my EPSON
Stylus printer are set to: (1) Media Type is set to Photo paper, (2) Ink is set
to color, (3) Mode is set to automatic, the quality/speed slider is set to
quality (I believe the quality slide setting is equivalent to 360dpi)

All responses to my questions are much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Bruce L.

2. terrain height

3. Scanning resolution-->printer resolution

4. MAX 3 - helpfile

5. Best Scanning vs Printer resolution

6. LW Pricing (approx.) for Alpha and SGI

7. Screen/printer resolution of .EPS files

8. newbie question #2/resolution

9. Newbie resolution question

10. newbie question regarding resolution, dpi and print sizing

11. Resolution question - for a total Newbie