Transparent JPG's

Post by Dale Wiggin » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to figure out how to create a transparent background
in photoshop, saved in JPG format.  This is namely for placing graphics
over web pages with backgrounds.  I know how to use the GIF exporter for
this, but GIF's take too long to load.  Do I need a Plugin for this?
If anyone can help me, please send me an email.  Much appreciated.

Transparent JPG's

Post by James Coly » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been trying to figure out how to create a transparent background
> in photoshop, saved in JPG format.  This is namely for placing graphics
> over web pages with backgrounds.  I know how to use the GIF exporter for
> this, but GIF's take too long to load.  Do I need a Plugin for this?
> If anyone can help me, please send me an email.  Much appreciated.

Currently I do not believe that there is any accepted or standard way of
creating transparent JPEG images.  (Please correct me if I am wrong on
this one...)

However research into this area is being conducted via the "JPig"
project. You can find the project at:

http://www.algonet.se/~dip/jpig_1.htm

Hope this helps...

Later

J.

Transparent JPG's

Post by tmc » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I have been trying to figure out how to create a transparent background
> in photoshop, saved in JPG format.  This is namely for placing graphics
> over web pages with backgrounds.  I know how to use the GIF exporter for
> this, but GIF's take too long to load.  Do I need a Plugin for this?
> If anyone can help me, please send me an email.  Much appreciated.

Hi Dale,

   Unfortunately you're stuck with the GIF format if you want
transparent backgrounds.  JPG, due to its compression method, (lossy)
won't do this.

--
T. Michael Clark
President  Earth Orbit Consulting

Free Web Graphic Tutorials--Learn to make your own professional-looking
Web Graphics.  Go to the URL below and select the TUTORIAL button.

Graphics Tutorials:  http://www.accent.net/tmc/grafx.htm

Web Page Design:     http://www.accent.net/tmc/earth.htm

1. Transparent jpg's

Help!.. I want to put a picture of a red and blue plane over a white
brick wall and be able to see the wall through the plane while seeing
the plane in color.  I am stummped.  I cannot figure out how to do it.
Can someone walk me through it.
I am using Photoshop 3.0.5. The pics I am using are jpg and gif
one of each.  does that have something to do with it?  This is driving
me crazy and the help file is not much help

Thanks in advance
gary

2. Recommendations for new system wanted

3. Transparent GIF's/JPG's

4. Human Body Muscles Model

5. reading and displaying jpg's and gif's in vc++

6. HOW TO CONVERT AN IMAGE TO STROKES!!!!

7. VC++ methods for reading and displaying gif's and jpg's

8. Seeking training in DC area

9. Making a Gif 'transparent'?

10. Alert Quick Time TAKING over GIF's and JPG's

11. c++ classes to read and display jpg's and gif's

12. transparent 'guide' layer

13. Use GIF's or JPG's?