Graphics Problem

Post by Julie A. Boldu » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am hoping someone can help me.  I have been trying to receive gif files
as an attachement from a person using a Mac.  I have a PC.  I have been
able to send a gif 89a and they are able to open it and view it.  But when
they try to send one to me, and I try to open it using either Quick View
plus, Word Perfect Suite 7 or Paint Shop Pro 4.0, all I get is a message
that is format unknown or garbage.  What could be wrong?  Could it be that
the gifs they send me are 87a?
Julie

Graphics Problem

Post by doug roge » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been trying to receive gif files
> as an attachement from a person using a Mac.  I have a PC.

Problem is probably compression

http://www.lon.hookup.net/home/drogers/
What was the question? I was looking at the big sky!

Graphics Problem

Post by Mercur » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hello...

I have created a 3d text graphic for someone, and it turned
out quite well. It depicts a bluemoon, with the 3d text on the
bluemoon, but the bluemoon is on the left. On my computer, as
well as another friends, this graphic look fine, and does its
job. However, on my customer's computer, he says that there
is a strange blue strip going across from the top center of
the bluemoon stretching across the text, with the width
being the same as the text itself. I don't see a blue bar,
neither does my friend; but, my customer does therefore it
is a problem. If you could examine the graphic to see if
a strange blue bar appears on your screem, I would appreciate it...

1. On my computer it looks fine with all browsers, colours, and
resolutions. But, on his, it does not....blue bar appears everytime.

Also, he says that the stars that surround the lettering stand
out because they are faded or blurred. Again, it is blurred
a slight bit, but it is due to graphic compression, and on my
screen it isnt bothersome. On his it is "easily noticable".
The other stars outside the graphic are fine, but within the
graphic they are slightly blurred.

Any insight is appreciated.

http://www.bluemoontech.com

To the gentleman that tried to help me before:
The Url is correct, the site may have been down
when you tried to access it...sorry about that!

Sean

Graphics Problem

Post by Groo » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Hello...
>Any insight is appreciated.

>http://www.bluemoontech.com

>To the gentleman that tried to help me before:
>The Url is correct, the site may have been down
>when you tried to access it...sorry about that!

>Sean

I do not see  a line and the stars look fine.

Viewed on a mac, 24bit color, with netscape 4.0.3

Groovy

Graphics Problem

Post by Groo » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I am hoping someone can help me.  I have been trying to receive gif files
>as an attachement from a person using a Mac.  I have a PC.  I have been
>able to send a gif 89a and they are able to open it and view it.  But when
>they try to send one to me, and I try to open it using either Quick View
>plus, Word Perfect Suite 7 or Paint Shop Pro 4.0, all I get is a message
>that is format unknown or garbage.  What could be wrong?  Could it be that
>the gifs they send me are 87a?
>Julie

The other folks here made good suggestions and I would try them first.

If you still have problems then it's some kind of email thing.
Macs can read PC stuff no problem because they HAVE TO for obvious
reasons.  The reverse is not always true.  : )

First thing is DO NOT include mac information (ie file type/creator etc..)
Most mac e-mail apps you can turn the send mac info off. Eudora which
I use it is in the setting prefs.

If that does not help then

Odds are either you should send the file uuncoded instead of binhex
or make sure the PC user can decode binhex correctly.

If that still does not work then ftp the thing RAW to the PC user.

later,

Groovy

Graphics Problem

Post by Tom Burn » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hello...

> I have created a 3d text graphic for someone, and it turned
> out quite well. It depicts a bluemoon, with the 3d text on the
> bluemoon, but the bluemoon is on the left. On my computer, as
> well as another friends, this graphic look fine, and does its
> job. However, on my customer's computer, he says that there
> is a strange blue strip going across from the top center of
> the bluemoon stretching across the text, with the width
> being the same as the text itself. I don't see a blue bar,
> neither does my friend; but, my customer does therefore it
> is a problem. If you could examine the graphic to see if
> a strange blue bar appears on your screem, I would appreciate it...

> 1. On my computer it looks fine with all browsers, colours, and
> resolutions. But, on his, it does not....blue bar appears everytime.

> Also, he says that the stars that surround the lettering stand
> out because they are faded or blurred. Again, it is blurred
> a slight bit, but it is due to graphic compression, and on my
> screen it isnt bothersome. On his it is "easily noticable".
> The other stars outside the graphic are fine, but within the
> graphic they are slightly blurred.

> Any insight is appreciated.

> http://www.bluemoontech.com

> To the gentleman that tried to help me before:
> The Url is correct, the site may have been down
> when you tried to access it...sorry about that!

> Sean

it looks ok to me (no blue band) -- but this is very subjective! when i
view it at 256 colours as opposed to 'true colour', the word 'blue' is
illegible.

also, around the letters, hard to describe, but various
distorted roughly circular shapes -- some almost as big as the hole in
the 'o' in the word 'tech...' -- not sure if those are supposed to be
there, but they **are** distracting.

this is more of a customer relations issue . . . suggest you either
visit customer in person to determine **exactly** what the issue is, or
if this is not feasible, what about sending along a (good quality) hard
copy print of the screen in question to get the customer to agree that
the work is OK or not . . . this would eliminate a lot of variables,
like various monitors, browsers, etc etc, and confirm for you that the
basic work is OK or not . . .

hope this helps . . .
tom

Graphics Problem

Post by La » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>> 1. On my computer it looks fine with all browsers, colours, and
>> resolutions. But, on his, it does not....blue bar appears everytime.
>this is more of a customer relations issue . . . suggest you either
>visit customer in person to determine **exactly** what the issue is, or
>if this is not feasible, what about sending along a (good quality) hard
>copy print of the screen in question to get the customer to agree that
>the work is OK or not . . . this would eliminate a lot of variables,
>like various monitors, browsers, etc etc, and confirm for you that the
>basic work is OK or not . . .

This is a very good piece of advice.  I hate to say it, but don't trust your
customer to have given you the correct setup on his machine.  I did a web page
once for a local shop, but they told me they had the latest Netscape at 256
colours.  It turned out they had Netscape 1.1 at 16 colours.  The page I did
looked terrible to them, but they were nice enough to realize that they must
not be as well set up as they originally thought.  When I viewed it on their
system I was able to tell them the differences (for example, none of the
transparent gifs showed as transparent and were surrounded by ugly grey
rectangles, and there was no wallpaper!)  These were nice people and good
customers, but they simply didn't know their computer very well.  I also once
did a job and the customers monitor had a switch on the back which inverted
the screen (it was for a Dos thing), that made my work hideous.  A hardcopy is
good, a personal visit is better :)

Later!

Lar

Graphics Problem

Post by Jane Silverma » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Nice, I see no problems, but am using 16 high color...will change my
setting to 256 and lower and see what happens.

--
#
Jane

 Toubleshooters, Inc..
'95 help team.......No Expert, just a User.

http://tsinc.simplenet.com

http://home.att.net/~janesc1/
#

Graphics Problem

Post by Jane Silverma » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Nope, no matter what I tried, I cannot see what your customer says he
sees.
Maybe he should check his video card and see if he has a problem.
The graphics on the page are best at 800x600 Hi color...not great at
lower resolutions but that is what he should be viewing them as....as
this is pretty standard on the WWW.
Have you view it on his computer? That maybe the only way to tell what
is going on.
good luck!

#
Jane

 Toubleshooters, Inc..
'95 help team.......No Expert, just a User.

http://tsinc.simplenet.com

http://home.att.net/~janesc1/
#

Graphics Problem

Post by Mercur » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Nope, no matter what I tried, I cannot see what your customer says he
>sees.
>Maybe he should check his video card and see if he has a problem.
>The graphics on the page are best at 800x600 Hi color...not great at
>lower resolutions but that is what he should be viewing them as....as
>this is pretty standard on the WWW.
>Have you view it on his computer? That maybe the only way to tell what
>is going on.
>good luck!

Thank you..I will be visiting his place to see what the problem is.
I appreciate your time in checking the problem for me!

Sean

Graphics Problem

Post by Mercur » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>I wonder if It is the Real Audio player that is the problem with your
>customer??
>I still see no blue line, but in the what I think is the 5th frame of
>the real audio there is a yellow blank screen.
>Looks like a movie that I would like :)

Heh!!! that was the Starship troopers trailer, converted to a streaming
real video 28.8 format...you werent supposed to have seem that! It was
experiemtation! But, perhaps that is what cause the malady...hmmm i
didnt think of that....

Sean

Graphics Problem

--
#

Post by Jane Krate Dud » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> >Hello...

> >Any insight is appreciated.

> >http://www.bluemoontech.com

> >To the gentleman that tried to help me before:
> >The Url is correct, the site may have been down
> >when you tried to access it...sorry about that!

> >Sean

I do not see a line, the site loads fairly quickly (10 secs). Viewed on
a Pentium PC, Hitachi SuperScan Elite 17" monitor.

Jane

Graphics Problem

Post by Jane Silverma » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 It was NEAT and I enjoyed it  <LOL> Played it over a few times just to be sure
that I was not blinking :)         Hope you find the problem. Would love to
know if you did.

http://home.att.net/~janesc1/

> says...

> >I wonder if It is the Real Audio player that is the problem with your
> >customer??
> >I still see no blue line, but in the what I think is the 5th frame of
> >the real audio there is a yellow blank screen.
> >Looks like a movie that I would like :)

> Heh!!! that was the Starship troopers trailer, converted to a streaming
> real video 28.8 format...you werent supposed to have seem that! It was
> experiemtation! But, perhaps that is what cause the malady...hmmm i
> didnt think of that....

> Sean

Graphics Problem

Post by Alexander F. Hunte » Mon, 03 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Your client is no doubt viewing this page with the
default AOL browser, which applies its own peculiar
graphics compression ("ART") that often introduces
strange graphics artifacts and can badly deteriorate
image quality.  I just took a look with the AOL
browser, and sure enough, there's the blue bar
and the other artifacts your client is describing.

To fix this on your client's end, tell him to choose
the "Prefs" button at the top of the browser window,
then select "Uncompressed Graphics" and reload
the page.  Presto, no more strange artifacts!
(Shame on AOL for corrupting creative artwork
in this manner...)

Regards,
-Alex Hunter
AFH Systems Group
http://www.afh.com/

Quote:> I have created a 3d text graphic for someone, and it turned
> out quite well. It depicts a bluemoon, with the 3d text on the
> bluemoon, but the bluemoon is on the left. On my computer, as
> well as another friends, this graphic look fine, and does its
> job. However, on my customer's computer, he says that there
> is a strange blue strip going across from the top center of
> the bluemoon stretching across the text, with the width
> being the same as the text itself. I don't see a blue bar,
> neither does my friend; but, my customer does therefore it
> is a problem. If you could examine the graphic to see if
> a strange blue bar appears on your screem, I would appreciate it...

> 1. On my computer it looks fine with all browsers, colours, and
> resolutions. But, on his, it does not....blue bar appears everytime.

> Also, he says that the stars that surround the lettering stand
> out because they are faded or blurred. Again, it is blurred
> a slight bit, but it is due to graphic compression, and on my
> screen it isnt bothersome. On his it is "easily noticable".
> The other stars outside the graphic are fine, but within the
> graphic they are slightly blurred.

> Any insight is appreciated.

> http://www.bluemoontech.com

1. No graphic problem but also a big problem

If you really need it fast go to the correct newsgroup and post there.
borland.public.delphi.winapi would be the correct group for this question and
winapi experts hang out there.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Mild mannered supermen are held in kryptonite, and the wise and foolish

2. What about HP-UX?

3. Atom Graphics will solve your graphics problems

4. A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

5. Graphic problem with voodoo?!?

6. Any Opinions for systems to output animations?

7. Graphics Problem

8. Research Project - Stereoscopic Displays

9. Help on graphics problem

10. Perplexing BW Graphic problem

11. Mac Freehand -> MS Word Embedded Graphics Problem

12. Interlaced/WWW Graphics Problems

13. graphics problem in turbo c++