Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by MWS » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:35:05

CompUSA has a deal on XP Pro so it looks like I'll probably take the plunge
and upgrade from the crash- & lockup-prone WinME. Any problems or
suggestions? Any issues I should be aware of when doing the upgrade?

TIA

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by Laur » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:47:33

Quote:>CompUSA has a deal on XP Pro so it looks like I'll probably take the plunge
>and upgrade from the crash- & lockup-prone WinME. Any problems or
>suggestions? Any issues I should be aware of when doing the upgrade?

Don't upgrade. Install the full version from scratch.
Compare CompUSA prices to Viosoftware.
http://www.viosoftware.com
Vio has the full version of XP Pro for $133.
Vio is a 100% legitimate company licensed by Microsoft to sell OEM software.
I've ordered several things from them, including XP. It comes with all the
stickers, serials, keys, etc. Just doesn't have the box or manual. Customer
service is excellent. Shipping is free.
Buy a new hard drive and start with a clean slate. Pop the old hard drive into
a portable drive holder and access as needed.
Can usually find a good selection of portable hard drive cases at good prices
at CompGeeks:
http://www.compgeeks.com

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by Andrew Morto » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:15:27

Quote:> Don't upgrade. Install the full version from scratch.

And enable the firewall as soon as possible, certainly before connecting
to the Internet.

Andrew

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by Harry Lime » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:59:02

I believe that as with Photoshop - the upgrade is exactly the same as the
full programme only cheaper!!
The major benefit of the clean install is that you are given the opportunity
to convert your hard drive to NT partitioning as opposed to the now outdated
FAT system (not sure what ME runs on - I suspect FAT).
The NT system is considered preferable to FAT.
Plus it is generally better to do a clean install with an operating system
(clears all the dross out of the registry etc)
Clearly though you are going to have a problem trying to save all your
settings and documents to CD, as it seems there is always something
essential you forget to save!
With Hard drives now relatively cheap (20 odd for a 20 gig) it might be
worthwhile installing a second hard drive and setting up a dual boot with XP
on the new drive? I did that myself and it was relatively painless - and
having done so I then reformatted the original drive.

Harry

Quote:> CompUSA has a deal on XP Pro so it looks like I'll probably take the
plunge
> and upgrade from the crash- & lockup-prone WinME. Any problems or
> suggestions? Any issues I should be aware of when doing the upgrade?

> TIA

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by 3B » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:50:26

Quote:>> Don't upgrade. Install the full version from scratch.

> And enable the firewall as soon as possible, certainly before connecting
> to the Internet.

> Andrew

I wouldn't use the built-in since I have (and am happy with) ZA. Any issues
I need to be aware of?

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by 3B » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:49:19

>>CompUSA has a deal on XP Pro so it looks like I'll probably take the
>>plunge and upgrade from the crash- & lockup-prone WinME. Any problems
>>or suggestions? Any issues I should be aware of when doing the
>>upgrade?

> Don't upgrade. Install the full version from scratch.
> Compare CompUSA prices to Viosoftware.
> http://www.viosoftware.com
> Vio has the full version of XP Pro for $133.
> Vio is a 100% legitimate company licensed by Microsoft to sell OEM
> software. I've ordered several things from them, including XP. It
> comes with all the stickers, serials, keys, etc. Just doesn't have the
> box or manual. Customer service is excellent. Shipping is free.
> Buy a new hard drive and start with a clean slate. Pop the old hard
> drive into a portable drive holder and access as needed.
> Can usually find a good selection of portable hard drive cases at good
> prices at CompGeeks:
> http://www.compgeeks.com

Why the clean install over the upgrade? I did some research and found some
people claiming issues with FAT32 vs. NTFS. Is this why I should go for a
clean install? Are there other issues?

I'll check out the retailer.

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by 3B » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:58:36

Quote:> I believe that as with Photoshop - the upgrade is exactly the same as
> the full programme only cheaper!!
> The major benefit of the clean install is that you are given the
> opportunity to convert your hard drive to NT partitioning as opposed
> to the now outdated FAT system (not sure what ME runs on - I suspect
> FAT). The NT system is considered preferable to FAT.
> Plus it is generally better to do a clean install with an operating
> system (clears all the dross out of the registry etc)
> Clearly though you are going to have a problem trying to save all your
> settings and documents to CD, as it seems there is always something
> essential you forget to save!
> With Hard drives now relatively cheap (20 odd for a 20 gig) it might
> be worthwhile installing a second hard drive and setting up a dual
> boot with XP on the new drive? I did that myself and it was relatively
> painless - and having done so I then reformatted the original drive.

> Harry

ME is FAT 32. I did some surfing and discovered people claiming some issues
when upgrading to NTFS from FAT. That in itself is enough to make me think
twice about the upgrade. Your comments regarding the registry make good
sense as well.

I'll continue to look into it a bit more, but I'll probably follow your
(and Laura K's) advice and go for the clean install and the new hdd.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by le » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:10:09

>> I believe that as with Photoshop - the upgrade is exactly the same as
>> the full programme only cheaper!!
>> The major benefit of the clean install is that you are given the
>> opportunity to convert your hard drive to NT partitioning as opposed
>> to the now outdated FAT system (not sure what ME runs on - I suspect
>> FAT). The NT system is considered preferable to FAT.
>> Plus it is generally better to do a clean install with an operating
>> system (clears all the dross out of the registry etc)
>> Clearly though you are going to have a problem trying to save all your
>> settings and documents to CD, as it seems there is always something
>> essential you forget to save!
>> With Hard drives now relatively cheap (20 odd for a 20 gig) it might
>> be worthwhile installing a second hard drive and setting up a dual
>> boot with XP on the new drive? I did that myself and it was relatively
>> painless - and having done so I then reformatted the original drive.

>> Harry

> ME is FAT 32. I did some surfing and discovered people claiming some issues
> when upgrading to NTFS from FAT. That in itself is enough to make me think
> twice about the upgrade. Your comments regarding the registry make good
> sense as well.

> I'll continue to look into it a bit more, but I'll probably follow your
> (and Laura K's) advice and go for the clean install and the new hdd.

> Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Take a look at "www.aumha.com" which is a private "windows support"
website.  There is an item that says the FAT32 may not be formatted
correctly, partition table-wise; a link to an app to correct the
FAT32 end/beginning cylinder (or something like that) BEFORE changing
to NTFS.  Probably also applies to formatted partitions by the DOS
diskettes for intalling windows.

I've found it doesn't hurt to run the app as an insurance; some people
say don't "fix" if it isn't broke but, for me, when it breaks, it is
too late, especially I think that is one of the reasons why the drive
letters get messed-up for some.

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by Hecat » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:56:15

>Why the clean install over the upgrade? I did some research and found some
>people claiming issues with FAT32 vs. NTFS. Is this why I should go for a
>clean install? Are there other issues?

There are so many issues that it would take a very long time to list
them all.  In fact I even saw an MS guy advise that you shouldn't
upgrade from anything other than NT and should always do a completely
clean install from the WIn9x series.  Amongst the issues where
problems will occur are the registry, the filing system and the
drivers. In other words, everything you need to run the computer
properly. :)

 --

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by Andrew Morto » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:46:18

AFAIK, ZoneAlarm will be better than the built-in firewall but I have no
experience of using ZA on XP SP2.

Andrew

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by beave » Sat, 27 Nov 2004 07:10:00

it's all true, don't do it. Upgrading from ME to Xp will give you grey hairs
and an unhappy life!

Also avoid the previously mentioned table conversion (fat to ntfs). Once
you've backed up all your stuff use a w98 boot disk to delete the
partition(s) and load XP onto a 'raw' disk. It works far better that way.

Installing XP Pro Over PS

Post by BxN » Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:31:44

Noo.....

Buy the upgrade, i had ME which is a load of toss and upon installing aslong
as its a legal version of ME and you have the ME disk it asked me for it
because it couldnt find ME on my HDD (doesnt matter if its a recovery) it
lets you select install from fresh and format in NTFS or reformat in
FAT32...Just make sure you reformat because you don't need the junk from ME
causing you problems

Believe me i've done this and it works. Make sure you backup everything and
make a startup floppy disk incase you need to load ME again

Hope that helps buddy

1. has anyone been able to instal 3ds max 4.0 into win xp pro

i upgraded my computer to windows xp pro from win 98 so I had to reinstall
max 4.0, but I cannot do it.

it gives me an "error 1606: the network path ::etc. etc."

and halts the install.

i am logged in as the administrator.

has anyone been able to get around this problem?

please post.

thanks

2. PerformanceGraph

3. SmartSaver Pro and Win-XP, Pro?.............TIA

4. How to learn to ray trace...

5. Can't install Q329623 - needed to install Epson 3200 Pro Scanner

6. Looking for Quaternion exponent

7. Problem with PS 5.0 now that PS 6.0 is also installed

8. SGI pointer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

9. Need Help Installing a PS Printer Driver to a non-PS printer

10. Installing PSP V5.03 on Windows XP

11. Installing Elements in XP