pc freezes

Post by John Srutw » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 00:18:51

I am having some trouble with photo shop 7.  After sometime (sometimes
2min., sometime up to 30 min.) my pc just freezes.  I uploaded and
installed the latest video driver.  But still it happens. My Pc is
500mhz 256 ram and lots of HD space. Has anyone got any ideas?

John

pc freezes

Post by Matth » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 06:57:06

Hey John,
My name is Matthew. I have sometimes the same problem too. The only
thing I can think of is to buy a new computer. I'm running a 1.7 GHz
with 512 in RAM and if it wasn't for WINXP my computer would be dead.
I know this is not the answer you were looking for but Photoshop (and
most Adobe products) are HUGE resource users. Your memory is ok but
your processor is holding you back quite a bit. It you had an older
version of Photoshop you may be able to pull it off but since
Photoshop 7.0 is new, it was made for new computers...ones that are
faster than what you have.

If you have any other questions please email me

Matthew

pc freezes

Post by Littlebo » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 07:40:45

Hi John,

I'm running WinXP Pro on an Intel Pentium III 450, 512 Mb Ram and like you,
lot's of hd space. I've been postponing to invest in a new system for a long
time I know, however I honestly haven't experience my photoshop to respond
in any odd way what so ever.

I don't think the problem is neccessarily related to the processor unless
it's either an older AMD or Celeron.

Unless you can provide more specifics on the hardware you are using I can
give you the following advice:

- Don't run too many programs at the same time to leave processor power to
Photoshop's disposal
- Make sure you leave preferably 1Gb of free space on your C at all times
(excluding the Windows pagefile size)
- In the preferences of your photoshop assign your D drive or E drive etc.
with enough free space to be your secondary scratch disk
- In the preferences of your photoshop assign 70% of Ram to photoshop with
256 Mb's of memory (it's about 190 Mb you leave for Photoshop to use).
- The least important advice: defragment the drive where photoshop is
installed regularly when u install / remove programs often on / from this
drive.

Hope this works for you!

Littleboy

> Hey John,
> My name is Matthew. I have sometimes the same problem too. The only
> thing I can think of is to buy a new computer. I'm running a 1.7 GHz
> with 512 in RAM and if it wasn't for WINXP my computer would be dead.
> I know this is not the answer you were looking for but Photoshop (and
> most Adobe products) are HUGE resource users. Your memory is ok but
> your processor is holding you back quite a bit. It you had an older
> version of Photoshop you may be able to pull it off but since
> Photoshop 7.0 is new, it was made for new computers...ones that are
> faster than what you have.

> If you have any other questions please email me

> Matthew

pc freezes

Post by jani » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 09:59:48

Hi john.

I'm running PS7 on a pentium II 400 256 ram.  It works great.
I've been using PS for a long time.  I save every few munites.  If I make a
really iffy change,  I make a duplicate ...  uh....  alt> I then D,  close
the original after saving and work on the duplicate.  On previous versions
of PS  4 on back  there was no such as a "history"  the one "undo" was all
you had.
also,  It's a good thing to Purge every so often...  that would be alt>e>u>a
then enter
or  in the menu,  edit,  purge, select "all"  then enter.

Make sure everything is ok before you purge or save.  I also run ps7 on an
athlon 1900+xp...  If you're running anything on a VIA chipset,  You need to
get the latest Via4 in 1.  It's not something extra,.  It's something
nessicery...  Do a search on Via 4 in 1
jms

pc freezes

Post by Don Lin » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 12:23:39

Are you having this problem with any other programs or at any other
situations other than Photoshop.

Quote:> I am having some trouble with photo shop 7.  After sometime (sometimes
> 2min., sometime up to 30 min.) my pc just freezes.  I uploaded and
> installed the latest video driver.  But still it happens. My Pc is
> 500mhz 256 ram and lots of HD space. Has anyone got any ideas?

> John

pc freezes

Post by Jerry » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:46:53

 like Littleboy said too many other programs running and fighting over
ram space.Stop all the programs in your start-up folder that are really
un-necessary.2nd check your system tray and shut down everything not
needed to be running there before opennig PS.
 I'm running 500 mhz with 128 megs ram and do not have any problems at
all, although I'm sure more ram whould give me more speed opennig files
in PS
 Jerry

> I am having some trouble with photo shop 7.  After sometime (sometimes
> 2min., sometime up to 30 min.) my pc just freezes.  I uploaded and
> installed the latest video driver.  But still it happens. My Pc is
> 500mhz 256 ram and lots of HD space. Has anyone got any ideas?

> John

pc freezes

Post by bah » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:53:38

something I'd add to that, purge all the unneeded data every few minutes, if
you're not gonna be undoing anything, there's no need for it to be taking up
space, this is something that stopped my PS from freezing all the time,
still happens when I forget though :S

--

http://www.punkmuppet.com

> Hi John,

> I'm running WinXP Pro on an Intel Pentium III 450, 512 Mb Ram and like
you,
> lot's of hd space. I've been postponing to invest in a new system for a
long
> time I know, however I honestly haven't experience my photoshop to respond
> in any odd way what so ever.

> I don't think the problem is neccessarily related to the processor unless
> it's either an older AMD or Celeron.

> Unless you can provide more specifics on the hardware you are using I can
> give you the following advice:

> - Don't run too many programs at the same time to leave processor power to
> Photoshop's disposal
> - Make sure you leave preferably 1Gb of free space on your C at all times
> (excluding the Windows pagefile size)
> - In the preferences of your photoshop assign your D drive or E drive etc.
> with enough free space to be your secondary scratch disk
> - In the preferences of your photoshop assign 70% of Ram to photoshop with
> 256 Mb's of memory (it's about 190 Mb you leave for Photoshop to use).
> - The least important advice: defragment the drive where photoshop is
> installed regularly when u install / remove programs often on / from this
> drive.

> Hope this works for you!

> Littleboy

> > Hey John,
> > My name is Matthew. I have sometimes the same problem too. The only
> > thing I can think of is to buy a new computer. I'm running a 1.7 GHz
> > with 512 in RAM and if it wasn't for WINXP my computer would be dead.
> > I know this is not the answer you were looking for but Photoshop (and
> > most Adobe products) are HUGE resource users. Your memory is ok but
> > your processor is holding you back quite a bit. It you had an older
> > version of Photoshop you may be able to pull it off but since
> > Photoshop 7.0 is new, it was made for new computers...ones that are
> > faster than what you have.

> > If you have any other questions please email me

> > Matthew

1. Nurbs Surface, Break Row = Freezes PC

Hi

I am following a tutorial in the 3D Studio Max Secial FX book for Max 2.5
and on page 215 it shows how to Break a surface using the "Break Row" nurb
option.  If I do this my cursor changes to an "=" equals sign and max
freezes with the CPU running 100% for over 10 mins.

I have already broken one surface which is instant but this second time
locks me up.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks
Geoff

2. Turning off axes in Gnuplot?

3. Freezing PC when selecting a font

4. Help: Create disable bitmap

5. Mac II no sound & freezes...help

6. Determining color of Pixel/Using C++ class CRgn

7. Computer freezes when trying to play midi files

8. HELP: Fractal Design 4.0 Freeze-ups

9. Mac freezing up using Quark

10. Os 9, Zips, Freezes and idiots like me

11. PS Freezing