Masks vs. adjustment layers

Post by SHoff19 » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 05:20:11

Whats the difference between using the layer mask and an adjustment layer? I'm
using Photoshop Elements.

Masks vs. adjustment layers

Post by Taci » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 05:59:27

Quote:>Whats the difference between using the layer mask and an adjustment layer?

About the same as the difference between using an arc welder and a car.

A layer mask screens out part of a layer. You use a layer mask to make a part
of a layer transparent.

Let's say you have a picture of a chair in a room. You want to put the chair in
a layer over another picture. So you move the picture of the chair over the
other picture, then select just the chair, then save the selection as a layer
mask so that you don't see the room--only the chair.

You can put a layer mask on an adjustment layer, if you want.

An adjustment layer is a command. For example, you can make a Curves adjustment
layer. This creates a Curves command (just like using Image->Adjust->Curves)
that affects everything beneath the adjustment layer.

--
Literary forums; Onyx, a game of * exploration; Xero, the industrial
magazine of art, fiction and photography; fine-art photo gallery--all at

Masks vs. adjustment layers

Post by Trevor Morri » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:12:47

I have a tutorial that actually teaches you "all" about Blending Modes and
Masks here:

http://user.fundy.net/morris/redirect.html?photoshop15.shtml

Hope that is what you are looking for...

--
Cheers,

http://user.fundy.net/morris/

Quote:> Whats the difference between using the layer mask and an adjustment layer?
I'm
> using Photoshop Elements.

Masks vs. adjustment layers

Post by John Houghto » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:41:40

But does Photoshop Elements have masks?  I understood it was one the things
missing.
John

Quote:> I have a tutorial that actually teaches you "all" about Blending Modes and
> Masks here:

> http://user.fundy.net/morris/redirect.html?photoshop15.shtml

Masks vs. adjustment layers

Post by Trevor Morri » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:15:11

Oh shit! Sorry. Guess I did not read the email carefully enough. Thanks
John!

Nope, Elements does not have masks.

--
Cheers,