"Painting" with transparency in layers mode

"Painting" with transparency in layers mode

Post by James » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Greetings,

How would one actually "paint" with transparency in Photoshop in
layers?  This, I mean, without the eraser tool.  How would one do a
"fill" with transparency, or draw a "line" with transparency.  When
using the eraser tool, you are limited to block, airbrush, paintbrush,
and pen.

I'm particularly interested in the "fill" with transparency.  I've
always had to make an alpha-channel over an area and use a huge eraser
brush to fill it in!

Thanks for any information!

-------------------
James Au

-------------------

"Painting" with transparency in layers mode

Post by Lingu » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

With the layer you want to paint to/from over another layer, choose image
--> add layer mask. Go to the mask and select your tool. It works just
like the quick mask feature used to work. Hold down the option key and
click the background and you will paint from the layer below. Option click
your uppermost layer and you will pick up from it.
--Troy Cunningham
"Run a carbon black test on my jaw,
"And you will find
"It's all been said before."

Post by Moc » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> How would one actually "paint" with transparency in Photoshop in
> layers?  This, I mean, without the eraser tool.  How would one do a
> "fill" with transparency, or draw a "line" with transparency.  When
> using the eraser tool, you are limited to block, airbrush, paintbrush,
> and pen.

But, you want to save all the original goods right? NOT erase?

Quote:> I'm particularly interested in the "fill" with transparency.  I've
> always had to make an alpha-channel over an area and use a huge eraser
> brush to fill it in!

"Add layer mask..." in the layers pallette. Paint on that. And if you hide
the mask while paining on it (it's possible), showing only the original
goods, you will be "painting with transparency." Make selections. Draw
lines. Filter the transparency only (!) Great control here.

Steve

Steve Mockensturm..........Custom Photo Illustration and Design
Toledo, OH........................................(419)474-0484
Mock's Place......................http://www.primenet.com/~mock

1. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

Does anyone have a problem using PhotoShop 3.  I have alien skin filters
and Kai's Power Tools and yet if I use the spheroid designer in Kai's Power
Tools and then try to add a drop shadow to it using alien skin, PhotoShop
crashes.  Has anyone got a solution to this problem.  It's really bugging
me (pun not intentional).

Yours Pete

2. Please help

3. "Clipping" image layer to shape layer

4. does 6.0 work with XP?

5. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

6. How to Convert Bitmaps to Geometry

7. "glass" transparency

8. PS 5 -- order now or wait for 5.5?

9. GIF "gradient" transparency - HOWTO