Ques rephrased: Changing folder Options/File Type views?

Ques rephrased: Changing folder Options/File Type views?

Post by frank » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:12:30

Using an external viewer, my PS files wont show up because my hard drive
settings inC:>View>Folder Options>File Types>Registered File Types>the PSD
files are set to ONLY OPEN WITH PHOTOSHOP. I want to change this so they're
accessible with other viewers and apps - what is the default in WIN ?
Quickview?

--

Ques rephrased: Changing folder Options/File Type views?

Post by edjh » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 06:55:24

Since psd files (Photoshop Document) are specifically layered Photoshop
files, the problem is that not too other many apps can open them.
Photoshop can, and Image Ready, Irfanview does after a fashion and
maybe a few others. I don't believe there is a "default" viewer.

What is it you want to do? Maybe you want to flatten the files and save
them as tiffs, which can be opened/browsed by many more apps?

Quote:> --

--
Check out:
http://www.geocities.com/skullbones.geo/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Ques rephrased: Changing folder Options/File Type views?

Post by frank » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:42:32

what is the default setting? Now I have it set to open with PS
which makes sense, right. But some apps  like catalog or album types can't
open it because of this. I can't remember what it was set to before I set it
to PS.
thanks
Quote:> Since psd files (Photoshop Document) are specifically layered Photoshop
> files, the problem is that not too other many apps can open them.
> Photoshop can, and Image Ready, Irfanview does after a fashion and
> maybe a few others. I don't believe there is a "default" viewer.

> What is it you want to do? Maybe you want to flatten the files and save
> them as tiffs, which can be opened/browsed by many more apps?
> > --

> --
> Check out:
> http://www.geocities.com/skullbones.geo/

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Ques rephrased: Changing folder Options/File Type views?

Post by edjh » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 02:27:49

There wouldn't be a default setting, unless it is Photoshop. If a program
can open psd files then it should be able to open them from inside the
program when you go to File>Open regardless of what you have set to
always open the file. If the app can't open it that way, then it just
can't open that kind of file. Like I said, not many programs can open psd
files.

At least that's my understanding of it. Try dragging the file over a
shortcut icon of the app in question. See what kind of message you get.