Best PS Newbie Instruction?

Post by Linda Donahu » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:20:54

I'm an oil/canvas artist who has acquired PS 6.0 (legimitately) and have
discoverd that I'm in 'way over my head . . . but determined.  What do
you all believe to be the best of the instructional programs or schools
(up to a couple of weeks)?

Thank you

Best PS Newbie Instruction?

Post by ~chero » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:56:34

Hi Linda.
This question is asked and answered here often.
You'll get a lot of different suggestions. Books, videos, tutorials, online
courses, community college classes and on and on.
For me and many others it's a hands on learning process. Dive in. Read when
you get stuck. Don't try to do a giant, complicated, project right off the
bat. Play, and play some more. Open an image, duplicate it and then play
around. Try all the filters alone then try some together. Add a layer and
play some more. Go to each heading and see what each function can do. Learn
to crop, feather, and use the transformation tools. Just try them. It's not
going to hurt anything. Show no fear!! Yes, buy a book but don't discount
the users manual that came with your CD. You won't learn everything that
this program is capable of doing in six months or in one year. Just when you
think you do, someone will say 'hey have ya tried this? and you'll have to
learn some more. You've got power, use it. End of cheer leader speech. Have
fun. ~chero~

Quote:> I'm an oil/canvas artist who has acquired PS 6.0 (legimitately) and have
> discoverd that I'm in 'way over my head . . . but determined.  What do
> you all believe to be the best of the instructional programs or schools
> (up to a couple of weeks)?

> Thank you

Best PS Newbie Instruction?

Post by Phil Kusin » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:06:47

I have found the Adobepress "Classroom in a Book" to be helpful.  It is a
series of 17 tutorials.

Quote:> I'm an oil/canvas artist who has acquired PS 6.0 (legimitately) and have
> discoverd that I'm in 'way over my head . . . but determined.  What do
> you all believe to be the best of the instructional programs or schools
> (up to a couple of weeks)?

> Thank you

Best PS Newbie Instruction?

Post by John Murth » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:34:49

Hi Linda,
I can second what was said by "~chero~".  PS is the fourth graphics program
that have made a serious attempt at becoming familiar with and his advice
rings true to me.  Patience and perseverance are the key--and don't do it if
you aren't having fun at it!
regards, john

Best PS Newbie Instruction?

Post by Ross » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:01:15

Quote:>I'm an oil/canvas artist who has acquired PS 6.0 (legimitately) and have
>discoverd that I'm in 'way over my head . . . but determined.  What do
>you all believe to be the best of the instructional programs or schools
>(up to a couple of weeks)?

What do you plan to do with PS? Are you going to create art in PS,
edit art you've painted, a combination of the two, or something
altogether different? You can use PS as a "paint" program, but you
need to understand its abstractions. An app like "Painter" (now sold
by Corel) is designed more as an interface readily adaptable for a
traditional artist. PS was originally designed as a prepress tool and
"digital darkroom" for photographers and most of the PS teaching seems
to concentrate on those areas. It's harder to find information on
creating traditional-type art, but check the net - zillions of
tutorials out there.

There are some fairly good seminars that travel around the country. A
good general PS one is put on by Ben Wilmore.

http://benwillmore.com/

There are also specialized ones on prepress, color correction, etc...
I'd just check what's available in your area and dive in. I like good
books for careful study, but also seeing knowledgeable people actually
use a program is probably the fastest, and often more inspiring way of
learning. Many of us who frequent this group have been involved in
computer graphics for well over a decade. Patience and perseverance is
the key. With PS, like art itself, the learning never really stops. :)

Ross

Best PS Newbie Instruction?

Post by Richard & Naomi Hodgkin » Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:04:40

I'm in your shoes too but about 6 months down the road.  I first took a
class at CompUSA with a really good instructor.  After reviewing their
workbook at home I felt a little better versed in the tools.  Techniques: I
have found in Ben Willmore's book "Adobe Photoshop 5.0"  although his 6.0
version should be out by now.  The next book which is outstanding for a
photography artist is John Paul Caponigro's book "Adobe Photoshop Master
Class".  I would certainly read Ben Wilmore's book 1st and have a dictionary
handy for Caponigro's book.  But he is sure good.  Do all their practice at
the end of the chapters.  The next book I will be going through is Dan
Margulis's book "Professional Photoshop".  As I read through these books I
have made an outline to follow because it is mind boggling the possibilities
and techniques that are possible in PhotoShop.  Ben Willmore and John Paul
Caponigro adjust in RGB where Dan Margulis is a CMYK person.  Big difference
in techniques but both should be learned.  If you will be printing you will
have to know the CMYK methods because that is what printers require.  Web
design and any images staying on a computer should be RGB.

But if you are an artist and intend on continuing to use paints then you
should really consider the program called "Painter". A good book to make
this decision with is "Photoshop, Painter, & Illustrator Side-By-Side" by
Wendy Crumpler.  After browsing through that you will understand what
program you should use and why.  Painter is a wonderful program too.  It
would be good to have both programs and use them back and forth to different
needs.  Be sure to look into a Wacom tablet for either program.  It is a big
drawing board and you don't have to use a mouse.  You can set all kinds of
paintbrushes, pens, etc and by the pressure you put on the pen will
determine what is painted or drawn.  I have both attached to mine and just
can't wait to start really practicing heavy.

My next big investment is a good monitor.  I'm seriously thinking about the
Sony 24" GDM-W900 and would appreciate any input on that before I chunk down
the money.

Good Luck!
Naomi