Hand made bevels

Post by SG » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Photoshop 5 has bevelling in Layer>Effects. Or use a plugin such as Blade
Pro (shareware but only $25 to register).

    For about 3 months now I have been trying to make a descent bevel.  I
have trying using gradients, gaussian blur, feathering my selection, and
other various things.  Does anyone have any ideas that don't 45 steps just
to make a descent??

    Tim

Hand made bevels

Post by INFINiTi » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You could try creating a new channel with the object you want to bevel, and
blurring and t* it by duplicating the bevel, blurring it, and using the
original channel as a selection to trim it.  Then simply use lighting effects
with that channel as a texture
? INFINITY

Hand made bevels

Post by Bob La Forc » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Here's what I used to do.

1) Make the button you want to bevel.
2) Mask off one side to the width of the bevel you want and make sure
you do the corners in a 45 degree angle.
3) Adjust the masked area for lightening or darkening depending on your
lighting preferance.
4) Do the same thing to all four sides paying attention to our lighting.

(See illustration below)

|\-------------------------------------------------------/|
|           ^                                             |<----- Button
to be beveled
|           |                                             |
|   (Mask off an area like this and lighten or darken,    |
|         then move to the next side)                     |
|_________________________________________________________|

Bob

> For about 3 months now I have been trying to make a descent bevel.  I
> have trying using gradients, gaussian blur, feathering my selection,
> and other various things.  Does anyone have any ideas that don't 45
> steps just to make a descent??

> Tim

*           Bob LaForce           |                                *
*            Webmaster            |                                *
* Duke University Human Resources |    "I'm not a webmaster in     *
*     http://www.hr.duke.edu      |    real life, but I do play    *
*   Visit the Odd World of Bob    |      one on the internet"      *
*  http://nuteknet.com/blaforce   |                                *

Hand made bevels

Post by Robert Barnet » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Well this is actually very easy to do. You have two choices.

1) If you are using Photoshop 5 you can use a layer effect.

2) If you want the most control and the best looking bevels you can do it using channels.
Here are the steps.

    1. Create a mask selection in the shape and size you want your button.
    2. Save the selection (Selection>Save Selection). This creates a channel. Now clear
        the selection (Selection>None)
    3. Using the channels palette select the channel with the select your just saved.
        This will be black and white.
    4. Now with the channel active run the Gaussian Blur filter on it. Remember that
        the amount you blur it controls how strong/soft the bevel will be.
    5. Now in the channel palette click on the channel named RGB.
    6. Now load the selection (Selection>Load Selection) this loads in the channel as
        a mask selection.
    7. Now fill that selection with the color or texture you want. To fill it with a solid
color
        choose that color from the swatches palette and then do Edit>Fill. If you want to
        fill it with a texture you can open that texture and the do Select>Select All and
then
        define it as a pattern (Edit>Define Pattern) and then go to the button document
and
        do (Edit>Fill) and then select pattern in the drop down list. It is also at this
time
        that you can apply any other filters you want. For example to make a cracked
        button use the craquelure filter (Filters>Texture>Craquelure.
    8. With the selection still active run the Lighting Effects filter
        (Filters>Rendering>Lighting Effects). This when you have fun. You can adjust the
        controls to any setting you like. The only thing that you need to do is set the
        Texture Channel to the channel containing your button shape. You can use the
        Height control to control how raised the bevel is. If you want to creat a sunken
        bevel just change the position of the light.
    9. Have fun.

Please note that this will also work in Photoshop 5. There are just a few small difference
is command names, but everything is one the same menus.

Robert

Post by Darkho » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Photoshop 5 has bevelling in Layer>Effects. Or use a plugin such as Blade
> Pro (shareware but only $25 to register).

>     For about 3 months now I have been trying to make a descent bevel.  I
> have trying using gradients, gaussian blur, feathering my selection, and
> other various things.  Does anyone have any ideas that don't 45 steps just
> to make a descent??

This assumes you're using PS4 or above:

Put your object into a new channel (#4) in white. Duplicate the channel,
deselect it if you still have the marching ants, and gaussian blur the
copy in channel #5 (around 2 or 3 if it's average to small size). Then
load selection channel #4 and select-->modify--> contract 2 or 3 (or
more if it's a large object) pixels, then fill that selection with white
to make a hard-edged bevel. Return to the RGB channel and load selection
channel #4, filling it with whatever color or texture you want. Then use
filter-->render-->lighting effects to make the bevel, making sure to use
channel #5 as the source (pull-down menu at the bottom).

That isn't too many steps I hope (and I can be more precise about the
lighting effects but I'm not posting from home -- email me if you need

have all kinds of control over the end product, unlike a plugin. (I have
no idea if the text layers in PS5 have similarly comprehensive control
over beveling.)

Hope this helps,
John

1. Bevel makes v6 exit (??)

I dont know if this is just my curves but anyway...

I bevel a curve and Alias suddenly quits and tries to make a _mSave. I
cleaned up the curve, it quits, then I made another one but in a different
manner, it still quits. I could go along with an error message explaining
the problem but I dont accept the application to just exit by itself.

Is this anything anyone recognize?

I welcome the possible fact that it is my curves and not a bug.

//Johan W

2. Button Glyph sites?

3. Making straight-edged bevels?

4. Amiga JPEG codec class available

5. picture into paint "made hand"

6. 5.5 ImageReady Rollover problems

7. making a simple hand

8. OBJECT 3D MANGA

9. opengl vs hand-made interface

10. making a human-like, robotic hand..

11. wireframe for hand-made characters

12. Bevel - Bevel profile

13. Why sometime you bevel in maya, it not bevel inward but outward?`