designing button icons

Post by Bobb » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm new at this designing stuff, so I need some help.  I want to make
my own button icon--the kind that looks like it is raised in the
center.  How do I design the edges?

Bobbie

********

http://www.mcs.net/~bobbie
********

designing button icons

Post by Lanny Chambe » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I'm new at this designing stuff, so I need some help.  I want to make
> my own button icon--the kind that looks like it is raised in the
> center.  How do I design the edges?

The most basic, but educational, way is to grab a button you admire from
another Web page (i.e., save it to disk), load it into Photoshop, magnify
it to 4:1, and study how the edges were made to fool the eye into the 3D
effect. Try to duplicate the effect with the line or pencil tools. This is
obviously more labor intensive than using a filter, but you'll learn how
it's done. Think about how the light falls on a 3D surface, then apply
highlights and shadows to your artwork. For simple rectangular buttons,
this method is very easy.

Here are some more automated alternatives:

Photoshop's Lighting Effects filter can do this, but to get the best
results you'll need to create a bump map, perhaps by embossing your button.
Your Photoshop manual has more details.

The Black Box, a filter set from Alien Skin, makes all sorts of bevel
effects a snap, and is available for both Mac and PC. This set is a
necessity for serious WWW artists, and is well worth the money.

If you have a Mac (it's important to mention your platform here), Info-Mac
has a free filter set called SuckingFish that includes a simple bevel tool
("DekoBoko"). A much-enhanced commercial version of this set has just been
released.

If you have a PC, there are now a couple of free bevel filters available--I
don't know their names, but a Web search should find them.

Visit the Hummingbird Page: <http://www.inlink.com/~creative/>

designing button icons

Post by tmc » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I'm new at this designing stuff, so I need some help.  I want to make
> my own button icon--the kind that looks like it is raised in the
> center.  How do I design the edges?

> Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

   Check out my 3D button tutorials at the URL below.  If you have any
specific questions after that, e-mail me and I'll see if I can help.

Good luck,
T. Michael Clark
President  Earth Orbit Consulting

Free Web Graphic Tutorials--Learn to make your own professional looking
Web Graphics.  Go to the URL below and select the TUTORIAL button.

Web Page Design:  http://www.accent.net/tmc/earth.htm

designing button icons

Post by Carla Bet » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Bobbie:  Download ButtonMaker, it is a lot easier than trying to make
them yourself.  This program makes square and round buttons in a
flash.

http://www.traveller.com/~puon/photoshop

check it out and good luck.

Carla Betka

>I'm new at this designing stuff, so I need some help.  I want to make
>my own button icon--the kind that looks like it is raised in the
>center.  How do I design the edges?

>Bobbie

>********

>http://www.mcs.net/~bobbie
>********

designing button icons

Post by Andrei Zdetovetch » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I'm new at this designing stuff, so I need some help.  I want to make
> my own button icon--the kind that looks like it is raised in the
> center.  How do I design the edges?

Select a rectangle and fill it with the color or texture you want. Do not
deselect. Then modify the selection border with the value you want. Let's
say 5 pixels. You will have a selection around your rectangle. Use the
airbrush and paint with black on the right side and then on the lower side
of you rectangle. Then change color tho white and paint ovet the left and
top side. This will look like a 45 degrees light from the top right
corner.
Well... I hope it helps you. There are more techniques to create buttons
but this is quicker. Please excuse my english.

See ya,
Andrei Zdetovetchi
http://ldc.sfos.ro/~zdeto

1. Button, Button, who's got the button?

I'm looking for a simple way to create modest navigation buttons for web
pages -- bevelled edges, textures, text. Can anyone recommend software
to do this? The simpler the better, and of course, a try-it-first
shareware solution would be great.

2. Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

3. Consistent set of Icons/Buttons for Application

4. Changing 'workspace' colour

5. free icons, buttons, clipart, etc.

6. Problem with XTrapin on SGI

7. WANTED: Mac Graphix Program for creating 3D buttons/Icons

8. Spikes all around

9. Looking for a toolbar button/icon designer

10. Icon on Command Button

11. CUSTOM Office Toolbar Button Icons using VBA

12. Wrong button bar icons in Corel Dream3D 6

13. Icon on a button