How about a "contour fill"?

Post by Razzba » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

A contour fill is something I used quite a bit with other software
on another system, and I miss it with PS. What it does is fill a
shape with a gradient that goes from the edge inward. If you use
it on a circle, it will give a 3-d effect...

Anybody know how to do this with Photoshop?

TIA, cheers, etc.
Razzbar.

How about a "contour fill"?

Post by Razzba » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > A contour fill is something I used quite a bit with other software
> > on another system, and I miss it with PS. What it does is fill a
> > shape with a gradient that goes from the edge inward. If you use
> > it on a circle, it will give a 3-d effect...

> > Anybody know how to do this with Photoshop?

> Sure, use the radial gradient.  Then when you place the cursor somewhere
> on the sphere and drag toward the edge, it gives you that 3D effect.  I
> know this is not a binaries group, so I've kept this very small, but
> here is an example.

Yeah, but that only works with a circle! What if you want to do an
irregular shape such as say, a snowman? (I'm not asking how to make
a snowman, mind you...)

I've used a contour fill with another painting program, just thought
there might be some plugin for Photoshop that somebody would know
about. But I guess if you've never used a contour fill, you wouldn't
appreciate how useful they can be. They make irregular shaped buttons
a breeze. A radial fill just won't do it.

-Razzbar, "still looking".

How about a "contour fill"?

Post by Randy Hest » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

-
->I've used a contour fill with another painting program, just thought
->there might be some plugin for Photoshop that somebody would know
->about. But I guess if you've never used a contour fill, you wouldn't
->appreciate how useful they can be. They make irregular shaped
buttons
->a breeze. A radial fill just won't do it.
->
->-Razzbar, "still looking".

Kai's Power Tools has exactly what you are describing.  The Gradient
designer allows you to construct a gradient that follows the outline
of your selection. You can download a trial version from the MetaTools
web site.

Regards,
Randy Hester

1. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

Does anyone have a problem using PhotoShop 3.  I have alien skin filters
and Kai's Power Tools and yet if I use the spheroid designer in Kai's Power
Tools and then try to add a drop shadow to it using alien skin, PhotoShop
crashes.  Has anyone got a solution to this problem.  It's really bugging
me (pun not intentional).

Yours Pete

2. OT: PORTER and VFAQ'S

3. e-mail replies to "contouring irregularly....."

4. Take a look and give me some feedback please

5. help in colors of "set contour"

6. Selection with paths in PS5.0 ?

7. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

8. Off Broadway Internet Special Prices

9. "fill" algorithm

10. Problem with "flood fill" in PSP6

11. Where is "fill with neutral color"?