How can I change JPEG saving option?

Post by Chris C » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Simple -- create an action in Photoshop 4 that saves the file with your
desired options and compression level.

(and changing the hex isn't likely to work)

Chris

Post by Roger A. Moncrie » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Thanks to Snappy, I have a few thousands of jpeg files at size about
> 75Kb to 85Kb which I would like to resave it at about 40 plus Kb by
> Photostyler 2.0 after some brightness/contrast correction. For many
> image manipulations, Photostyler is very efficient, especially the
> the "quick command menu" which reuse most commands by one click which
> is why I still use it. However saving jpeg is a pain.

>   By default, Photostyler 's jpeg compress level is at "40" which is
> comparable to cjpeg's "75" setting according to jpegdump.exe. Photostyler's
> range is 0 to 100 where 0 compression is thehighest quality setting. At "40",
> it shows perceptible degrade in quality. I like to save jpeg at 30 or 35
> quality setting which is quite good.  Every time saving at any compression
> level setting other than "40", one must click through "Save as",scroll several
> small windows to find the same filename as it assumes no name chosen, click
> "save option", click 5 times to go from 40 to 35, click "OK" , "Save",
> then "Yes" to confirm save which is very tiresome and time consuming.

>   If save by default jpeg setting at "40", just Ctrl-S which is fast and
> efficient. Thus ,I like to change the default setting permanently to "35".
> Since, there is no ini or other files that define jpeg setting. After
> some research with Hex viewer, I believe the default setting "40" must be
> compiled to some machine code and stored in the UF2JPEG.FIO (DLL type file,
> Ulead-Input-Output-File, sized 25kb ) within which one can see word such
> as "compression size, ratio, subsampling etc...".

>   After changing byte by byte using hex editor near the phrase
> " Compression Level..", and reload Photostyler after each byte changed,
> within the JPEG dialogue box's phrase or font or buttons' size change; but
> nowhere could I change the jpeg default value "40". After about 40 bytes
> changes and 40 loadings of Photostyler, I am still stuck.

>  I would like to ask anyone who had compiled jpeg modules or really good
> hackers to suggest how I can change such seem so simple but not so
> easy task. I am very appreciate for all your helps.

> Regards

> Dan

Dan,
I don't know anything about the bin, hex, Photostyler stuff but I do
have a suggestion. Apparently you need a workaround for all this save as
and scrolling stuff. You might want to try the windows recorder that
came with windows 3.1 or some other keystroke recording/scripting
application. That way you could just open the image then run the script
and you would be finished with it.
--
Roger A. Moncrief
http://www.indrev.com

Indepth reviews of Imagine for Windows, Ray Dream Studio 4.1, Bryce 2,
World Construction Set 2, Detailer, Goo, Click & Create, CourseWorks 3.2
CBT, etc. on line now. trueSpace 3 in work. All pages now enchanced with
music by the Keyboard Wizard.

How can I change JPEG saving option?

Post by Jack » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
It is unfortunate that Dan needs to "adjust" his Snappy jpegs.  This
means uncompressing, then recompressing at a higher setting, which will
cause additional artifacts.  If no adjustment is needed, Pegasus offers
batch recompression of jpeg without the uncompression/recompression
damage.  (Don't believe it? Then grab our Netscape plugin and try it for
free: ftp://pegasusimaging.com/pub/RAPIDVUE.EXE ,700k)
jack
Jack Berlin -  http://www.pegasusimaging.com/  -  813-875-7575 x303

> [...]

> > Regards

> > Dan

> Dan,
> I don't know anything about the bin, hex, Photostyler stuff but I do
> have a suggestion. Apparently you need a workaround for all this save as
> and scrolling stuff. You might want to try the windows recorder that
> came with windows 3.1 or some other keystroke recording/scripting
> application. That way you could just open the image then run the script
> and you would be finished with it.
> --
> Roger A. Moncrief
> http://www.indrev.com
> Indepth Reviews

> Indepth reviews of Imagine for Windows, Ray Dream Studio 4.1, Bryce 2,
> World Construction Set 2, Detailer, Goo, Click & Create, CourseWorks 3.2
> CBT, etc. on line now. trueSpace 3 in work. All pages now enchanced with

1. How can I change JPEG saving option?

[...]

2. call for submissions

3. JPEG saving options

4. Texture Algorithms (How To Generate)

5. Best jpeg format saving option in PS 6.0?

6. JPEG save options in PI5

7. changing default JPEG image quality save?

8. Saving JPEG without changing resolution?

9. Ques rephrased: Changing folder Options/File Type views?

10. Matte Object Alpha Channel Options Change in 7.5b

11. Change Terminal Options