MAC <-> PC problem !

Post by Patrick H » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,

        I occasionlly need to send some Pagemaker 6.0 file from my Mac
to the PC and from PC to Mac, when I transfer them by copying onto
disk, everything fine, but when I try to transfer them via my modem,
there are some problems.

        When I transfer from my Mac to the PC, the file size increase,
therefore not possible to open it.

        When I transfer from my PC to the Mac, the file size stay the
same, but in the 'kind' field, it is only a document type, not
Pagemaker type, so double click on it won't open, I also try to drag
the file onto the pagemaker icon, but it doesn't work. I need to copy
them from my Mac onto a disk and then copy it back to the Mac again
before I could read it, but this approach limits my file size to that
of the disk.

        I'm using a PowerMac 7200/90 with System 7.5.3 and a Pentium
90 with Window 95.

        Any help or suggestion are welcome !!

MAC <-> PC problem !

Post by Tom Huizen » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> [...]
>         When I transfer from my PC to the Mac, the file size stay the
> same, but in the 'kind' field, it is only a document type, not
> Pagemaker type, so double click on it won't open, I also try to drag
> the file onto the pagemaker icon, but it doesn't work. I need to copy
> them from my Mac onto a disk and then copy it back to the Mac again
> before I could read it, but this approach limits my file size to that
> of the disk.

This problem can be solved by:
1. Open the file by using "Open..." from the file menu in PM.       or:
2. Changing the type/crea codes with a util like FileBuddy.
   After this, even dubble clicking the icon will open the file.
   FileBuddy is shareware and can be found on the Info-Mac sites.
   First you have to find out the type/creator codes by looking
   with FB at a regular mac PM file.                                or:
3. Use a regular filename extension (like "FILENAME.PM6" or
   whatever is usual in the wintel world).          ^^^
   Put the filename extension in "Dos File Exchange" Control Panel
   with all other stuff it needs to know.
   Geez, this is just the stuff this Control Panel is intended for.

Regards,
Tom

--

  "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention"
               -- Michael Rothschild, 1993