resizing without resampling? Help please

resizing without resampling? Help please

Post by Roy » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 04:47:19

Hi......I am new to using photoshop LE.   Could anyone tell me if it is
possible to resize an image without resampling?

If I untick the re-sampling box the image does not get resized at all.  I
can
resize by keeping the resample box ticked and selecting percentage from the
options.  But once again if I select say inches instead of percentage then
the image does not get resized.
Baffled newbie...........          Roy.

Does anyone know of tutorial web sites that teach the fundamentals of
photoshop.  Understanding how to use layers and masking.
Regards.        Roy.

resizing without resampling? Help please

Post by John Houghto » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:47:35

Quote:> Hi......I am new to using photoshop LE.   Could anyone tell me if it is
> possible to resize an image without resampling?

> If I untick the re-sampling box the image does not get resized at all

Ensure that the "Constrain Proportions" box is checked and the Resample
Image box is not checked.. Select the units from the pull down menu and
alter the height OR width to the desired size.  You will find that the
resolution changes. The physical size now displayed is the size that the
image will be printed.  The number of pixels has not changed and this is
what determines the size of the picture as displayed on the screen by a web
browser.  Here, it is the resolution setting of the monitor that determines
the image size.
John

resizing without resampling? Help please

Post by Roy » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 20:14:49

Thanks John...........But how do I save the (not sampled) image for future
printing? I have tried but it won't save as a file that I can use again!
I have been able to do this with an old version of paintshop pro but can't
figure out how to make photoshop do this?
Regards.      Roy.

> > Hi......I am new to using photoshop LE.   Could anyone tell me if it is
> > possible to resize an image without resampling?

> > If I untick the re-sampling box the image does not get resized at all

> Ensure that the "Constrain Proportions" box is checked and the Resample
> Image box is not checked.. Select the units from the pull down menu and
> alter the height OR width to the desired size.  You will find that the
> resolution changes. The physical size now displayed is the size that the
> image will be printed.  The number of pixels has not changed and this is
> what determines the size of the picture as displayed on the screen by a
web
> browser.  Here, it is the resolution setting of the monitor that
determines
> the image size.
> John

resizing without resampling? Help please

Post by John Houghto » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 23:26:28

Quote:> Thanks John...........But how do I save the (not sampled) image for future
> printing? I have tried but it won't save as a file that I can use again!
> I have been able to do this with an old version of paintshop pro but can't
> figure out how to make photoshop do this?
> Regards.      Roy.

You don't say what type of file you started with or what you might have done
with it since opening it.  However, if Save won't work or Save As, you
should be able to use Save a Copy, which will allow you a free choice of the
file type to use for the save.
John

resizing without resampling? Help please

Post by John Houghto » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:39:52

Quote:> Hi John...Tried out you suggestions and it's still no go just does not
work!
> Have also just done a no sampling  (resize) save with paint shop pro and
> there was no problem the image appeared in a viewer at the selected
smaller
> size without any re-sampling.

What do you mean by "does not work"?  Did you succeed in saving the image as
a new file?  If not, what exactly went wrong?  If you did save the image in
a new file, when you reopen it in PS does it still have the same (altered)
size?
If you open the file created by Paint Shop Pro using PhotoShop and examine
the image size, how does this differ from the size of the one created in
PhotoShop.  There is no reason at all why PS should not be able to resize to
your requirements.  I think maybe it is more a question of what your
"viewer" requires.
John

resizing without resampling? Help please

Post by Roy » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 05:29:59

Hi John...........I have discovered where my misunderstanding is coming
from!   I have been reading the scan tips web site and there was a reference
made about paintshop pro (version 4 .1) two resampling options.  Which are
......Resampling

.......Resizing

I wrongly assumed that the resize option was not re-sampling but apparently
it is!  Thus producing a visible change in the image size.
I apologise for the confusion and thank you very much for your patience and
efforts to help.  All the best.       Roy.

> > Hi John...Tried out you suggestions and it's still no go just does not
> work!
> > Have also just done a no sampling  (resize) save with paint shop pro and
> > there was no problem the image appeared in a viewer at the selected
> smaller
> > size without any re-sampling.

> What do you mean by "does not work"?  Did you succeed in saving the image
as
> a new file?  If not, what exactly went wrong?  If you did save the image
in
> a new file, when you reopen it in PS does it still have the same (altered)
> size?
> If you open the file created by Paint Shop Pro using PhotoShop and examine
> the image size, how does this differ from the size of the one created in
> PhotoShop.  There is no reason at all why PS should not be able to resize
> your requirements.  I think maybe it is more a question of what your
> "viewer" requires.
> John

1. Resizing without resampling

Looking at Google, I suspect this has already been answered (in the negative),
for example in a thread "Resizing in PSP 7" last February, and others. But
perhaps someone has a solution.

I have an image ready to print. I simply want to tell PSP 7 one of its
dimensions on the paper, eg. 23 centimetres, and have it printed at that size
without any resampling. (Setting "Scale" in "Page Setup" is inadequate). This is
the equivalent to unchecking "Resample Image" in Photoshop.

Can it be done? Will it be available?

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

2. Copying a GDI bitmap into a Direct3D texture

3. how do i resize without resampling?

4. <None>

5. Can't resize images made from selections without resizing all layers

6. stereograms

7. Enhancement request to PSP - setting print size without resampling or calculation

8. Could anyone tell me where I could find a model of BABYLONE 5 Main ship? Thanks in advance.

9. PSP7 - changing image dpi without resampling?

10. Changing pixel dimensions without resampling

11. Resampling vs Resizing

12. Image Resizing/Resampling

13. Help needed! Message without file attached please read