how do I turn on floating selections?

Post by Dragon Web Design » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just upgraded to photoshop 4.0 (student - hence no manuals) and have a
problem with floating selection ... in 3.05 whenever I selected an object
or used the type tool it became floating and I could move it around the
screen.  For some reason it doesn't do this in my 4.0 ... have I done
something wrong?  or is it like this by default...

How can I change it as it's making it very hard to get some work done!

Thanks very much.
Bree.
Dragon Web Designs.

Post by M. Sava » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've just upgraded to photoshop 4.0 (student - hence no manuals) and have a
> problem with floating selection ... in 3.05 whenever I selected an object
> or used the type tool it became floating and I could move it around the
> screen.  For some reason it doesn't do this in my 4.0 ... have I done
> something wrong?  or is it like this by default...

> How can I change it as it's making it very hard to get some work done!

> Thanks very much.
> Bree.
> Dragon Web Designs.

ps4 allows you to move the slection but not the object, usefull if you
want to may a copy of the background to overlay on another object. i
believe you have to hold down the shift key to move it, or one of the
extra keys. or use the move tool... either way, they made it a little
more confusing.

---Mike Savad

--
Mike's Stained Glass
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1141

how do I turn on floating selections?

Post by tmc » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello.

   On a PC, hold down the CTRL key (not sure what key this would be ob the
MAC).  This will enable you to move the object and not just the selection.

Happy Photoshopping,

Author of:
"Paint Shop Pro Web Techniques" (c) 1997.  Published by NRP May '97

Free Web Graphic Tutorials--Learn to make your own professional-quality
Web Graphics with Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro and Corel DRAW!.
Visit the URL below and select the TUTORIAL button.

Graphics Tutorials:  http://www.grafx-design.com

Quote:> Hi,

> I've just upgraded to photoshop 4.0 (student - hence no manuals) and have
> problem with floating selection ... in 3.05 whenever I selected an object
> or used the type tool it became floating and I could move it around the
> screen.  For some reason it doesn't do this in my 4.0 ... have I done
> something wrong?  or is it like this by default...

> How can I change it as it's making it very hard to get some work done!

> Thanks very much.
> Bree.
> Dragon Web Designs.

how do I turn on floating selections?

Post by Clifford R. Carrol » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

In PS4.0.1 each time you add to an image such as with the Text tool the
information is put on a separate layer. Go to Window->Show layers to view
the various layers. Click on the layer and you can manipulate as necessary.
A selection may be moved by clicking on the layer where the selection is
made and using the Move tool as before.
--
Clifford R. Carroll, M.Photog.Cr.

http://www.execpc.com/carrollstudios