Channel as mask

Post by ronvi.. » Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:13:34

I want to use a layer (created from an inverted blue channel) as a mask
for another layer.  How do I get the information from a layer (or
channel) into a mask?  If I try to paste it PS just give me a new
layer.
Is it possible to paint with an image rather than a color?

Thanks,
Ron

Channel as mask

Post by Hebee Jeebe » Sat, 23 Sep 2006 16:22:08

Copy the layer that you want to use as the mask to the clipboard, go to the
channels palette and create a new empty alpha channel then paste in to that
alpha channel. Then go back to your RGB image in the channels palette (if it
switched to the alpha channel then go to Selections > Load Selection and
choose the alpha channel you just created. Presto mask!

Quote:>I want to use a layer (created from an inverted blue channel) as a mask
> for another layer.  How do I get the information from a layer (or
> channel) into a mask?  If I try to paste it PS just give me a new
> layer.
> Is it possible to paint with an image rather than a color?

> Thanks,
> Ron

Channel as mask

Post by taci » Sat, 23 Sep 2006 23:33:13

Quote:> Copy the layer that you want to use as the mask to the clipboard, go to the
> channels palette and create a new empty alpha channel then paste in to that
> alpha channel. Then go back to your RGB image in the channels palette (if it
> switched to the alpha channel then go to Selections > Load Selection and
> choose the alpha channel you just created. Presto mask!

That's cumbersome and has several extra steps. You can do it more
quickly by copying the channel to the clipboard, creating a new mask for
the layer (Add Mask->Reveal All), then pasting the channel into the new
layer mask.

--
Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Channel as mask

Post by edjh » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 00:15:51

> Copy the layer that you want to use as the mask to the clipboard, go to the
> channels palette and create a new empty alpha channel then paste in to that
> alpha channel. Then go back to your RGB image in the channels palette (if it
> switched to the alpha channel then go to Selections > Load Selection and
> choose the alpha channel you just created. Presto mask!

OR

Copy it (Layer or Channel)to the Clipboard, create an empty mask on the
correct layer, Alt-click on the empty mask you created to display it,
and Ctrl-V to Paste it in the mask.

--
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html

Channel as mask

Post by ronvi.. » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 04:47:26

> Copy the layer that you want to use as the mask to the clipboard, go to the
> channels palette and create a new empty alpha channel then paste in to that
> alpha channel. Then go back to your RGB image in the channels palette (if it
> switched to the alpha channel then go to Selections > Load Selection and
> choose the alpha channel you just created. Presto mask!

Nice.  Thank you.

1. channels and masks

hi

i am not experienced in photoshop 6.
i have a wall texture as png-file andi want to add transparency, so the
stones are more transparent and the fugues less transparent. i clicked on
"add new mask" in the channel view. no i have a 8 bit mask connnected with
the original image. thats good. now i want to have the content of the
original image as content in the mask, grayscale of course. how can i
archieve this?? can anybody help me? it s a bit urgent..
thanks

chris

2. Question: 3D studio with OpenGL

3. Layer mask VS Channel mask

4. PS6 installation problems

5. layering, layer masking, masks en channels

6. Image

7. Alpha channels (for Masking) in MAX2.5 and UVW mapping of bitmaps.

8. HELP OpenGL and Microsoft Flight Simulator 98

9. Transferring a mask (alpha channel) from one image to another

10. Alpha Channel Mask -translucent

12. Masks and Channels

13. How to Save Post-Channel/Mask as JPEG?