transforming perspective

Post by Leon » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:06:46

I recently started to use Photoshop 7.0 Trial and stuck on
transforming perspectives.
I select the entire image (Ctrl+A),
right click on selected area and choose "Transform Selection",
then right click again and select Perspective,
then move reference point into middle of the bottom of the image,
drag right upper corner a bit to the right (I try to correct
perspective of high building),
then click "Commit transform" button on top of the window

But nothing is happening. Picture is still intact. What did I miss
doing mentioned upper steps?

Regards
Leonid

transforming perspective

Post by Taci » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:26:34

Quote:>But nothing is happening. Picture is still intact. What did I miss
>doing mentioned upper steps?

Are you on the proper layer? You must be on the layer you wish to transform.

Most likely, you have created a layer but you doidn't know about it. Open the
Layers palette; that will show you which layer you are transforming.

--
"My .com burned through $30 million in venture capital, and all I got was this
lousy T-shirt."

transforming perspective

Post by Leon » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 05:07:49

> >But nothing is happening. Picture is still intact. What did I miss
> >doing mentioned upper steps?

> Are you on the proper layer? You must be on the layer you wish to transform.

> Most likely, you have created a layer but you doidn't know about it. Open the
> Layers palette; that will show you which layer you are transforming.

Now I use layer 1. But still result is the same.

regards
Leonid

transforming perspective

Post by TWrigh » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 06:23:52

sometimes when transforming, if the transformation is too drastic then PS
won't do it. Try a less drastic change and see if that works.

Tobias Wright
Chief Creative Director
www.bellzon.com

Quote:> > >But nothing is happening. Picture is still intact. What did I miss
> > >doing mentioned upper steps?

> > Are you on the proper layer? You must be on the layer you wish to
transform.

> > Most likely, you have created a layer but you doidn't know about it.
Open the
> > Layers palette; that will show you which layer you are transforming.

> Now I use layer 1. But still result is the same.

> regards
> Leonid

transforming perspective

Post by Vizros Plug-i » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:36:20

Have a look at http://www.vizros.com/vphelp/vrpicture.html

Tony

> I recently started to use Photoshop 7.0 Trial and stuck on
> transforming perspectives.
> I select the entire image (Ctrl+A),
> right click on selected area and choose "Transform Selection",
> then right click again and select Perspective,
> then move reference point into middle of the bottom of the image,
> drag right upper corner a bit to the right (I try to correct
> perspective of high building),
> then click "Commit transform" button on top of the window

> But nothing is happening. Picture is still intact. What did I miss
> doing mentioned upper steps?

> Regards
> Leonid

transforming perspective

Post by Leon » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:02:21

Thank you very much to all of you for the help.
The changes were really drastic. I reduce them and it does work now.

I have another question regarding usefulness of such a transformation.
As I saw on many postcards, photographers and publishes are not really
bother too much about transformation of perspective. Even not very
high buildings look within perspective and bottom of them is visibly
wider. From my experience it is quite difficult to make transformation
in such a way that it will be invisible. I tried to transform image
with bell tower of cathedral. The angle between vertical line and bell
tower was about 10-15 degrees. After the transformation the top part
became a bit curved.
Could anybody provide examples of such transformation with links to
images and techniques used? Otherwise, it seems that shooting high
subjects better to stay as far as possible from them and have a zoomed
lens.

Regards
Leonid

> sometimes when transforming, if the transformation is too drastic then PS
> won't do it. Try a less drastic change and see if that works.

> Tobias Wright
> Chief Creative Director
> www.bellzon.com

> > > Are you on the proper layer? You must be on the layer you wish to
>  transform.

> > > Most likely, you have created a layer but you doidn't know about it.
>  Open the
> > > Layers palette; that will show you which layer you are transforming.

> > Now I use layer 1. But still result is the same.

> > regards
> > Leonid

transforming perspective

Post by Gernot Hoffma » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 04:34:17

> Thank you very much to all of you for the help.
> The changes were really drastic. I reduce them and it does work now.

> I have another question regarding usefulness of such a transformation.
> As I saw on many postcards, photographers and publishes are not really
> bother too much about transformation of perspective. Even not very
> high buildings look within perspective and bottom of them is visibly
> wider. From my experience it is quite difficult to make transformation
> in such a way that it will be invisible. I tried to transform image
> with bell tower of cathedral. The angle between vertical line and bell
> tower was about 10-15 degrees. After the transformation the top part
> became a bit curved.
> Could anybody provide examples of such transformation with links to
> images and techniques used? Otherwise, it seems that shooting high
> subjects better to stay as far as possible from them and have a zoomed
> lens.

> Regards
> Leonid

Leonid,

the problems are solved since a long time, but Adobe is
obviously not interested in a straightforward solution,
how to rectify photos.
http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/sans04012001.pdf
The images on page two show the strategy
(I am using this method for all technical images).
The rest can be ignored in the moment.

The perspective rectification is a clean and clear mathe-
matical method. If straight lines appear as bows, then
its a result of lens distortions.

Best regards  --Gernot

transforming perspective

Post by John Houghto » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 02:37:52

Quote:> Could anybody provide examples of such transformation with links to
> images and techniques used? Otherwise, it seems that shooting high
> subjects better to stay as far as possible from them and have a zoomed
> lens.

Yes, stay as far away from them as possible.  To correct perspectives, I
generally use Panorama Tools, which offers a geometrically correct
re-projection of the image.  Barrel distortion is also corrected and Image
quality is excellent.  My example is of a shot with a camera elevation of 12
degrees when it was not possible to move further back.

http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/j.houghton/stmaryrec.jpg
Panorama Tools: http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/

John.

1. transform: perspective

Hi,

I have some problems with the the transformation tool (perspective): I tried
the "3D Box" tutorial at http://robouk.gdesign.nl/tuts/ps.html ; I have
problems with step 2: I have the side and the front of a box and want
to do a perspective transformation. If I select the tool and click at my
image I get a grid which covers the whole image. But how should I transform
the side of the box? It doesn't work if I fit the grid to, e.g.,
the side of the box. It seems that the grid in Photoshop surrounds the
edges of the image (for example the side of the box), in gimp it covers the
whole image.

Hope you can help me,
thanks,
Stefan

--
Stefan Lintner
Vienna, Austria, Europe

2. Particle emitter question

3. Imagine and Perspective Transforms (A Problem)

4. version 5 tutorials wanted

5. Newbie: Help with perspective transform formula, it's a lot to ask

6. 3Dfx On An OpenGL card

7. C++ affine and perspective transform code

8. Povray 2 --> Povray 3

9. backface culling after perspective transform?

10. Affine transform matrices, a new perspective???

11. perspective transform

12. nonlinear z after perspective transform?

13. Perspectives on Perspective