so how do the pros do it

Post by add » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:55:11

Hello All -

I have a question for all you smart ppl with desktop publishing
experiences. I am trying to understand the process behind publishing
pictures/images on the internet for e-commerce web sites. I am a
technical consultant on a project to create an online retail store,
but have no experience in desktop publishing, imaging or professional
photography.

The question is this. What is the process of acquiring and publishing
the prictures of items on the internet. The pictures that we will be
acquiring are from catalogs and hence have different backgrounds. I
see that, professional  retail sites have just the main pictures with
white backgrounds that look really professional and clean and clear
with very good image quality. So the question is, how are they doing
it ? Do they have a seperate process where they are taking individual
high quality pictures and then putting them on the internet, or are
they scanning and processing them using professional software like
photoshop ?

The concern that I have is that if we have to put 100s of items on the
online store, and all images are scanned from catalog and then
manipulated to get the background color out or changed to white,
(either using wand or Lasso, or any other tool if I missed it), then
it seems to be a very cumbersome process. Am I on the wrong track here
?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

tnx..

addi

so how do the pros do it

Post by Taci » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:34:52

Quote:>The concern that I have is that if we have to put 100s of items on the
>online store, and all images are scanned from catalog and then
>manipulated to get the background color out or changed to white,
>(either using wand or Lasso, or any other tool if I missed it), then
>it seems to be a very cumbersome process. Am I on the wrong track here
>?

If you are starting form a catalog, you are already starting with low-quality
images.

All printing presses in teh world can not print shades of color. Printing
presses simulate shades of color by breaking pictures up into dots of varying
sizes (or varying distribution in teh case of stochastic screening). Look at
your catalog with a powerful magnifying glass. See the dots? Your scanner will
see those dots too.

So scanning anything that has already been printed on a printer or a press
gives you inferior quality.

Professionals make high-quality Web images because they start from a
photograph, negative, or transparency, not from a printed catalog.

Ideally the image will be photographed on a white background. If not, then the
best bet is to use the Pen tool or the lasso (or other techniques) to make the
background white. Yes, it is a lot of work. Yes, professionals do all that
work.

--
"Quand la morale triomphe, il se passe des choses tres vilaines."
Literature. Art. Photography. Forums. Shareware. Kink. Sex.