Help with Spam

Post by Christine Hazlet » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Since I began checking out newsgroups, I have begun to receive a lot of spam
mail....how do I set up my account, etc, so that I will not receive this
junk, some is obscence!!  I have noticed that some people I have tried to
reply to have "remove No-spam" from my address people and couldn't send them
email because I didn't follow their instructions...how did they set this up?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

http://chrishaz.ez2.net/

Help with Spam

Post by SG » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Just add some extra letters into your email address (News>Options>Server)
so that it doesn't function as it is. It doesn't really matter what you
add. For example I've added 'dot' after my name and my ISP. You can
generally make it obvious what you remove or include a line 'Remove 'dots'
to reply' in your signature.

Help with Spam

Post by Joe Cilinceo » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You are using Outlook Express according to the message properties. If you
will go to http://home.gzinc.com/newdawn  and go to the tips page. I have a
method that will kill 95% of what you get without messing with you email
address. It uses the inbox assistant and that is all. If after you look at
it and have any question feel free to email me.

--

Joe Cilinceon

:Since I began checking out newsgroups, I have begun to receive a lot of
spam
:mail....how do I set up my account, etc, so that I will not receive this
:junk, some is obscence!!  I have noticed that some people I have tried to
:reply to have "remove No-spam" from my address people and couldn't send
them
:email because I didn't follow their instructions...how did they set this
up?
:Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
:

:http://chrishaz.ez2.net/
:
:
:

Help with Spam

Post by Diane Wils » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[Posted to comp.graphics.apps.photoshop with copy to the author.]

Quote:> Since I began checking out newsgroups, I have begun to receive a lot of spam
> mail....how do I set up my account, etc, so that I will not receive this
> junk, some is obscence!!  I have noticed that some people I have tried to
> reply to have "remove No-spam" from my address people and couldn't send them
> email because I didn't follow their instructions...how did they set this up?
> Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Rather than mess with your email address, the best thing to do is to set
your mail reader to filter your incoming email.  The basics are to filter
mail from mailing lists first, directing that either to "in" or a dedicated
mailbox, as you want.  Next, filter anything that has your email address
in either the "to" or "cc" field; these are generally for you personally
and can go in your in box.  Anything else is probably spam; filter it to
a spam mailbox which you can check once in a while for anything that
shouldn't have been filtered.
--
Diane Wilson                          | Marriage is really tough because

http://www.lava.net/~dewilson/        | and lawyers.
http://www.acm.org/chapters/trichi/   |                  --Richard Pryor

1. help with spam mail

 Hi James,

I had the same problem I soon as I posted messges in newsgroups.

The solution is to set a fake email address in the preferences settings of
your newsgroup reader ex: add 3 dashes at the end of your email address.

Next, create a signature saying that to get your real email address, you
must remove the trailling dashes.

I should solve the problem for future postings.

Guy Barrette
Montreal VB User Group www.login.net/gvbm
(Remove the trailing --- to get my real email address)

James Stevenson wrote in article ...

2. Help !

3. PS6 online help and the Adobe Studio spam trap

4. OBB Trees.

5. Cheap, Cheap banners/logos..Not a spam.

6. Large Format Printing

7. Women's Magazine - SPAM!!!!!

8. Any opinions about handheld scanners??

9. DownLoad Express: Grab Graphics from the Web (Ad but not Spam)

10. spam post, ignore!

11. How to stop SPAM