Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Perry Dilla » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Bryce 4 has been released. The Internet EYE Magazine has the first
exclusive review with pictures never before seen online! Just follow
the reviews link!

http://the-internet-eye.com

Perry Dillard
Associate Editor
The Internet EYE Magazine

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Ian Fir » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Bryce 4 has been released. The Internet EYE Magazine has the first
> exclusive review with pictures never before seen online! Just follow
> the reviews link!

You call that a review ?

The brochure I got in the mail last week from MetaCreations had twice as
much info as that shallow page you call a review.

Please quit spamming these groups with your lousy ads.

--
Regards,
Ian Firth    -    ian at divsoft dot com

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by SDNYg » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

i'll have to second Ian's opinion on this.       a lame review by a lame
"e-mag".

this is exactly  what  i'd expect from a company that got it's graphics  by
running a "contest" here in the newsgroup............no surprise at all.

>You call that a review ?

>The brochure I got in the mail last week from MetaCreations had twice as
>much info as that shallow page you call a review.

>Please quit spamming these groups with your lousy ads.

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by The Internet EYE Magazi » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Since when were you elected to moderate  these USENET news groups? The
Internet EYE is not selling anything so in reality it is not SPAM but
an informative service provided. So grow up and get a real job.

>> Bryce 4 has been released. The Internet EYE Magazine has the first
>> exclusive review with pictures never before seen online! Just follow
>> the reviews link!

>You call that a review ?

>The brochure I got in the mail last week from MetaCreations had twice as
>much info as that shallow page you call a review.

>Please quit spamming these groups with your lousy ads.

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by The Internet EYE Magazi » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I do not usually answer post to persons that do not make valid
comments or constructive comments to the magazine in order to make it
better. So here is a response that you may or may not have desired.
-===========================
I saw you post in regards to our posting practices in USENET. For one
we aren't selling a product so in reality we aren't Spamming. Second
you seem to be the only one concerned with our posting practices. If
you want to moderate a News Group I suggest that you form your own and
rule it as you see fit. (BTW ALT. newsgroups are not moderated)

Second you remarked about the information in the review, a review is
someone's written opinion and that is all. You have the right to
disagree with it. Wouldn't be more productive and likely to produce
the desired results if you made a legitimate suggestion to the
magazine or writer rather than blindly bash them?

Third if you do not like the review have you ever considered writing
yourself? It seems that you think you can do a better job on reviews.
So I challenge you. Write reviews for the EYE, and let the public
decide......... Let's see how you like being in the hot seat.

regards,

The Editor

=============================

So we at the EYE are challenging you to do a better job...... Can you?

>> Bryce 4 has been released. The Internet EYE Magazine has the first
>> exclusive review with pictures never before seen online! Just follow
>> the reviews link!

>You call that a review ?

>The brochure I got in the mail last week from MetaCreations had twice as
>much info as that shallow page you call a review.

>Please quit spamming these groups with your lousy ads.

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Ann » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The Internet EYE Magazine wrote

Quote:>For one
>we aren't selling a product so in reality we aren't Spamming.

Incorrect.  You haven't posted the same message enough times for it to be
"spamming" ... but content has nothing to do with it.

" The term "spam," as used on this newsgroup, means "the same article
     (or essentially the same article) posted an unacceptably high
     number of times to one or more newsgroups." CONTENT IS IRRELEVANT.
     'Spam' doesn't mean "ads" ... "

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/net-abuse-faq/part...
tml

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by The Internet EYE Magazi » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I only see one message here and it was cross posted to one other
group. get a life lady.

>The Internet EYE Magazine wrote

>>For one
>>we aren't selling a product so in reality we aren't Spamming.

>Incorrect.  You haven't posted the same message enough times for it to be
>"spamming" ... but content has nothing to do with it.

>" The term "spam," as used on this newsgroup, means "the same article
>     (or essentially the same article) posted an unacceptably high
>     number of times to one or more newsgroups." CONTENT IS IRRELEVANT.
>     'Spam' doesn't mean "ads" ... "

>http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/net-abuse-faq/part...
>tml

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Mike Christ » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> So we at the EYE are challenging you to do a better job...... Can you?

This is EYE magazine trying to get more people to do free stuff for their
mag.  Don't fall for it.

--
                                Mike Christy
                               Graphic Artist

                                     *

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Darkho » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Third if you do not like the review have you ever considered writing
> yourself? It seems that you think you can do a better job on reviews.
> So I challenge you. Write reviews for the EYE, and let the public
> decide......... Let's see how you like being in the hot seat.

A reviewer is in no hot seat. Any comment at all can be made, short of
libel, without any risk whatsoever. A reviewer doesn't even have to have
expertise, although publications may require it. Roger Ebert said once
that his qualification to review movies was simply that he's a member of
the audience who happened to get a job saying what he thought of them.

In any case, this is a side issue. I have to agree with others who are
calling your post spam -- it may be less annoying than an outright sales
pitch, but it qualifies for the term. The proper ng for this is
alt.graphics.bryce, and perhaps other 3D-centered ng's whose names I
don't recall at the moment.

Yers,
John

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Perry Dilla » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What in the world are you talking about?  If you want to contribute to
the EYE do so.  We aren't trying to get more "free stuff".  We're just
trying to organize resources for people to use.  If you have a
contribution, make it, if you don't then don't.  Everyone at the EYE
is volunteering their time and energy so I really see no logic in your
comment.  Now if we were a profitable organization making money then I
could understand your post about "free stuff".  But since we aren't,
your post makes no sense.

Perry Dillard
Associate Editor
The Internet EYE Magazine

Post by Tom Thom » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>=Third if you do not like the review have you ever considered writing
>=yourself?
>Odd thing for a "reviewer" to say. I suppose if you say something negative
>about a product, you immediately produce a better product yourself?

Good point, but probably moot in this case since it appears that the
"reviews" on this site don't include many negatives about the
software.  Looking at a half-dozen or so of the "reviews" shows all
software to be rated "Outstanding", "Excellent" or "Great."  It's hard
to find a negative comment anywhere.

Since a major focus of this site is selling software I suppose it
would be counterproductive for them to actually say anything negative
about the products.
------------------------------
Tom

Unsolicited adverti*ts cheerfully ignored.

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Perry Dilla » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Where do you see that selling software is a "major" focus of this
site?  Clearly it is not.  Have you personally used the products that
have been reviewed and found them to be less than great or
outstanding?  If I review a product that doesn't live up to its claims
or my expectations, I can guarantee you that I will write about it in
a review.  Again, a review is merely someone's opinion about the
software.  One person may think a particular product is great while
another thinks it fails miserably.  If the tool gets the job done for
you then you would consider it great.  If not, you would naturally
give it low marks.  I can understand criticism for a review that is
lacking information, but the reviewer's opinion of the software is
just that, an opinion.  You are free to agree or disagree, however
your opinion is no more and no less valuable than the reviewer's.

Perry Dillard
Associate Editor
The Internet EYE Magazine

Post by Dwight Williams » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I do not usually answer post to persons that do not make valid
>comments or constructive comments to the magazine in order to make it
>better. So here is a response that you may or may not have desired.
>-===========================
>I saw you post in regards to our posting practices in USENET. For one
>we aren't selling a product so in reality we aren't Spamming. Second
>you seem to be the only one concerned with our posting practices.

He's not. I agree with him, but didn't bother to say anything at first
since he correctly covered it. Someone at the Internet EYE Magazine
needs to open their eyes and find a more productive way to respond to
potential users rather than this combative style that has been chosen.

Internet EYE Magazine exclusive review on Bryce4

Post by Tom Thom » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Where do you see that selling software is a "major" focus of this
>site?  Clearly it is not.

Clearly?  Well, let's see ... the "Stores" link is listed prominently
among the top-level links, divided into six separate merchandising
areas, and you advertise that soon you'll be selling hardware as well
as software.  Looks like a pretty major focus to me, particularly for
somone who keeps implying that this is a non-profit, "labor of love"
project.  Don't forget that early in this thread the "Internet Eye"
said that the newsgroup post wasn't SPAM because you weren't selling
anything.

--- snip ---

Quote:> Again, a review is merely someone's opinion about the
>software.  One person may think a particular product is great while
>another thinks it fails miserably.

That's your impression of a review -- merely an opinion; good or not
good, one person's opinion.  I believe a truly useful, in-depth review
is more than just touting how wonderful (or not) any given product may
be.  A good review focuses on the specific strengths and weaknesses of
the product and its features and allows the reader to weigh the
importance of each of those to arrive at his/her own conclusions.
Discussing the weaknesses of a product in the context of an overall
review doesn't necessarily mean that the overall product is bad.  On
the other hand, reviews that appear to ignore all  negatives in the
context of a site that both reviews and sells software is somewhat
suspect.

------------------------------

Post by Stan The Ma » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>If I review a product that doesn't live up to its claims
>or my expectations, I can guarantee you that I will write about it in
>a review.  Again, a review is merely someone's opinion about the
>software.  One person may think a particular product is great while
>another thinks it fails miserably.  If the tool gets the job done for
>you then you would consider it great.  If not, you would naturally
>give it low marks.  I can understand criticism for a review that is
>lacking information, but the reviewer's opinion of the software is
>just that, an opinion.  You are free to agree or disagree, however
>your opinion is no more and no less valuable than the reviewer's.

>Perry Dillard
>Associate Editor
>The Internet EYE Magazine

The so-called Bryce 4 'review' wasn't a review at all. It merely listed
a handful of features together with a couple of screen grabs. I didn't
see any subjective assessment or opinion or anything to suggest that
the author of the piece had even used the software -- or knows how to
use it -- or knows enough to compare its functionality with other 3D
programs.

In short, this 'review' was an advertising puff for MetaCreations and
provides no benefit of insight to the reader. The fact that the article
was instantly linked from the MetaCreations web site suggests that it
was a cosy setup, probably along the lines of "You send us the software
and we'll publish a complimentary list of the features which you can
link to from your site".

Where, in this apology for a review, is their any insight into the
supposedly faster rendering engine in Bryce 4? Where is there a report
of the different file types that can now be imported/exported? In fact,
where is there a single shaft of wisdom to prove that the 'reviewer'
has actually used the product? Where is the justification for the
all-too-liberally awarded 5 stars?

This kind of garbage gives journalism a bad name -- and since a few
magazines in the UK have seen fit to commission articles from me, I
think it's an insult to the profession.

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. If you pay nothing, you get
freeloaders. Internet Eye is clearly a concept which isn't working.

Stan

--
Stan The Man
+++* Under This Macintosh+++