adobe 3.05 windows 95 and memory

Post by WEHJ » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I am using adobe Photoshop 3.05 under windows95. I have 16mb ram in my computer but
> photoshop tells me that only 8 mb can be used. does anyone know where the other 8 mb
> are.

> Frans

I suspect that the other 8 meg are being used by Win95 and system
stuff.  You may be able to squeeze out a little more by shutting down
any other programs you don't need, and if you do need other programs,
start them AFTER you start PS to optimize the amount of ram available to
PS with these other programs running.

Hope this helps.

Winston

adobe 3.05 windows 95 and memory

windows is using them!

Post by Chris Marya » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I am using adobe Photoshop 3.05 under windows95. I have 16mb ram in my computer but
> photoshop tells me that only 8 mb can be used. does anyone know where the other 8 mb
> are.

> Frans

Windows is using the other 8 megs, on my system it takes 10 megs, but I
have 32 megs total.

If you are serious about photoshop get more ram, a 16 meg simm costs
about $135
canadian.
--

                Chris Maryan

                http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/3600

Post by Hotblac » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > I am using adobe Photoshop 3.05 under
> > windows95. I have 16mb ram in my computer but
> > photoshop tells me that only 8 mb can be used.

> I suspect that the other 8 meg are being used by Win95 and system
> stuff.

Oddly enough, my Windoze NT (28 Meg system RAM) Photoshop reports
20 Meg usable.  I've hacked the pref file and set the "physical
memory" figure, but it *still* reports 20 Meg in Photoshop when
I fire it up.

That NT AND 95 both use up the same amount of memory is highly
suspicious, and unbelievable.  I figure it's a Photoshop "thing".
Call it a feature, what the hell.

Quote:> You may be able to squeeze out a little more by shutting down
> any other programs you don't need,

Nope.

Quote:> and if you do need other programs, start them AFTER you start PS to
> optimize the amount of ram available to PS with these other programs
> running.

Good advice, this.

Hotblack

1. Windows 95 and PS 3.05

I just found this group a few days ago.  I hope this hasn't been answered
a thousand times already....

I'm contemplating installing Windows 95.  I have a Pentium 75, 16 meg
memory, Diamond Stealth w/2 megs VRAM (PCI), and have the upgrade from
Adobe to ver. 3.05 (amazing, if you buy the software and register, they
send it to you...don't have to ask for serial numbers in news groups!).
What problems can I expect from Photosytler with the above configration?
Any tricks or work-arounds I need to know about?

Help is appreciated!

Thanks,
John

2. Windows Metafile & Clipboard

3. KPT 3.0 and PS 3.05 on NT/95

4. glsetup

5. out of memory while running 3d24 under windows '95

6. Color Hardcopy at SIGGRAPH, and other stuff

7. Problem with Virtual Memory in OpenGL for Windows NT/95

8. pdl and RH 6??

9. VB 5.0 application uses excessive GDI Memory under Windows 95

10. Adobe Illustrator 7.0 (Windows 95) Looking for 2nd market books