Mac PS 4.0.1 and OS8/HFS+

Post by Ryan Kawailani Ozaw » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Help!  I checked Adobe's support database and ran the latest updaters, and
I'm still stuck.

I just switched to HFS+, Macintosh's "Extended File Format."  Every other
piece of software (so far) seems to be working fine, but suddenly
Photoshop 4.0.1 isn't working.

Specifically what happens is, although I can load in three files from a
TWAIN device (a digital camera), the minute I attempt _any_ process --
even cropping down to postage-stamp size -- the "scratch disk" (my hard
disk) suddenly fills up.  And I mean _suddenly_.  Like 300MB free to 23k,
as soon as I attempt to edit the image.

Does anyone know if there's a fix for this, a setting somewhere I should
change, anything?  Suddenly my favorite piece of software is totally
nonfunctional!

--
Ryan Kawailani Ozawa                         _          aka Prophet Zarquon

Mac PS 4.0.1 and OS8/HFS+

Post by Chris C » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Help!  I checked Adobe's support database and ran the latest updaters, and
> I'm still stuck.

> I just switched to HFS+, Macintosh's "Extended File Format."  Every other
> piece of software (so far) seems to be working fine, but suddenly
> Photoshop 4.0.1 isn't working.

> Specifically what happens is, although I can load in three files from a
> TWAIN device (a digital camera), the minute I attempt _any_ process --
> even cropping down to postage-stamp size -- the "scratch disk" (my hard
> disk) suddenly fills up.  And I mean _suddenly_.  Like 300MB free to 23k,
> as soon as I attempt to edit the image.

> Does anyone know if there's a fix for this, a setting somewhere I should
> change, anything?  Suddenly my favorite piece of software is totally
> nonfunctional!

There's no fix because nobody else has seen this -- Photoshop 4 (and 5)
works perfectly with HFS+.
Best guesses are a bad format or bad cables (or some whacked extension).

Chris

Mac PS 4.0.1 and OS8/HFS+

Post by Ryan Oza » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

:> There's no fix because nobody else has seen this -- Photoshop 4 (and 5)
:> works perfectly with HFS+.
:> Best guesses are a bad format or bad cables (or some whacked extension).

Aloha e Chris,

Thanks for replying!  I figured out that it's _specifically_ the "crop to
fixed size" option.  I can do a normal crop, just not that one.

I figured it wasn't HFS+ after I set the scratch disk to a
regularly-formatted Zip disk and the same thing happened.  Any other work
quietly ate up a few hundred K, but once I tried to crop-to-size, every MB
of space is sucked up in a flash.

I don't suppose _this_ sounds familiar?  I have little doubt it's working
just as it should, and I just have something set wrong, but...

--

Post by David Herma » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Help!  I checked Adobe's support database and ran the latest updaters, and
> I'm still stuck.

> I just switched to HFS+, Macintosh's "Extended File Format."  Every other
> piece of software (so far) seems to be working fine, but suddenly
> Photoshop 4.0.1 isn't working.

> Specifically what happens is, although I can load in three files from a
> TWAIN device (a digital camera), the minute I attempt _any_ process --
> even cropping down to postage-stamp size -- the "scratch disk" (my hard
> disk) suddenly fills up.  And I mean _suddenly_.  Like 300MB free to 23k,
> as soon as I attempt to edit the image.

> Does anyone know if there's a fix for this, a setting somewhere I should
> change, anything?  Suddenly my favorite piece of software is totally
> nonfunctional!

Ryan,

Photoshop does just fine with Mac OS 8.1 and HFS+ formatted
drives....I've got a Mac at work running that config and it's been
flawless; most of Adobe's Photoshop Tech Support staff is also running
that configuration; and we just don't hear about problems with that
combination.  There's something funky about your system.

Keep in mind that you're using another piece of software here: the
camera's TWAIN file(s).  Have you checked with the manufacturer of the
camera to see if the TWAIN files you've got are compatible with Mac OS
8.1, Photoshop, and HFS+ formatted drives?  Thisnis probably the best
place to focus your efforts.

When you do speak with them, listen carefully to how they answer your
question (hint: don't ask general questions like "is this compatible?"
or "is there a problems with this combination?"....a better way to ask
is "have you (camera manufacturer) seen it work there yourself, with
this exact combination (version of the scanner files, Mac OS, Photoshop
and HFS+).

Remember, even if the problems only occur after you've successfully
pulled the images into Photoshop, the problem may be caused by something
funky that the camera software did during its operation (that is, it may
have messed up your Mac's memory management or something else *).
The big question is, if you leave the camera software alone and just use
Photoshop for a while, does it run fine?  If it does, then Photoshop
itself is almost certainly OK.

Hope that helps.

David Herman
Adobe Systems Inc.

Mac PS 4.0.1 and OS8/HFS+

Post by Chris C » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> :> There's no fix because nobody else has seen this -- Photoshop 4 (and 5)
> :> works perfectly with HFS+.
> :> Best guesses are a bad format or bad cables (or some whacked extension).

> Aloha e Chris,

> Thanks for replying!  I figured out that it's _specifically_ the "crop to
> fixed size" option.  I can do a normal crop, just not that one.

> I figured it wasn't HFS+ after I set the scratch disk to a
> regularly-formatted Zip disk and the same thing happened.  Any other work
> quietly ate up a few hundred K, but once I tried to crop-to-size, every MB
> of space is sucked up in a flash.

> I don't suppose _this_ sounds familiar?  I have little doubt it's working
> just as it should, and I just have something set wrong, but...

Sounds like you just have an incredibly large size (dpi) set for that
fixed crop -- have you checked that?

Chris

Mac PS 4.0.1 and OS8/HFS+

Post by Thomas Siverts » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> When you do speak with them, listen carefully to how they answer your
> question (hint: don't ask general questions like "is this compatible?"
> or "is there a problems with this combination?"....a better way to ask
> is "have you (camera manufacturer) seen it work there yourself, with
> this exact combination (version of the scanner files, Mac OS, Photoshop
> and HFS+).

Is this how tech-support calls to Adobe should be made? <VBG>

Cheers, Thomas Sivertsen
--

Capitalism is the systematic annihilation of reason