how to associate an application with Win Explorer Preview?

how to associate an application with Win Explorer Preview?

Post by Greg N » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:11:33

Sorry for asking a windows question here, but since I experience the
problem in conjunction with PS, I hope folks here might know the answer.
Thanks for your patience.

When I right click on an image in Windows (XP) Explorer, I get a popup
that, amongst other options, contains [Open, Edit, Edit with Photoshop,
Preview].

All of these result in calling Photoshop.

Previously, the "Preview" option called the "Windows Picture & Fax
Viewer",  I don't know when this changed and what caused the change. I
tried to fix this through the Tools/FolderOptions/FileType dialog, but
that only affects what action is associated with "Open".

How can I get "Preview" to call "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer"?

Or, more generally speaking, how do I associate applications of choice
for the various Explorer options?

--
Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

noise seems to convey great ideas of power to the ignorant
- James Watt

how to associate an application with Win Explorer Preview?

Post by Dave » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:38:49

Quote:

>How can I get "Preview" to call "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer"?

>Or, more generally speaking, how do I associate applications of choice
>for the various Explorer options?

Good day to you Greg

Open 'My Computor'
Navigate to the photo
Right Click on the Photo
Click on 'Open With'
Click on 'Choose Program'
*Now you check 'Always Use The Selected Program...'
Now you go 'Windows Picture & Fax Viewer'
and 'Okay'

Dave

Post by Greg N » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 04:36:44

> Open 'My Computor'
> Navigate to the photo
> Right Click on the Photo
> Click on 'Open With'
> Click on 'Choose Program'
> *Now you check 'Always Use The Selected Program...'

This is a way to specify the app for the "open" function.

My question was, how to specify the app for the "Preview" function.

--

Post by Kabuk » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 05:15:07

>> Open 'My Computor'
>> Navigate to the photo
>> Right Click on the Photo
>> Click on 'Open With'
>> Click on 'Choose Program'
>> *Now you check 'Always Use The Selected Program...'

> This is a way to specify the app for the "open" function.

> My question was, how to specify the app for the "Preview" function.

> --
> Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
> http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

> noise seems to convey great ideas of power to the ignorant
> - James Watt

slightly more complicated but if you know the exe command line for Pic/Fax
viewer
you can fix it by going to start>control panel>FOLDER options>file types
tab>choose jpg from the list>choose advanced in the box
you can edit the functions in there

however since PIC FAX viewer is only a preview program anyway you can't edit
with it
choosing it for open works like preview anyway

my comp is set to open JPG with PicFax and if I double click JPG it previews
the image
I don't want Photoshop to open every time I click a jpg, takes too long
I have EDIT set to Photoshop

Post by Greg N » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 05:56:06

> you can fix it by going to start>control panel>FOLDER options>file types
> tab>choose jpg from the list>choose advanced in the box
> you can edit the functions in there

Sorry, but that's just another way to set the "open" function, not
"preview".

--

Post by Kabuk » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:12:21

>> you can fix it by going to start>control panel>FOLDER options>file types
>> tab>choose jpg from the list>choose advanced in the box
>> you can edit the functions in there

> Sorry, but that's just another way to set the "open" function, not
> "preview".

> --
> Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
> http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

> noise seems to convey great ideas of power to the ignorant
> - James Watt

the part you are not getting is that VIEWER ==============IMPLIES it does
not EDIT images it only previews them

so OPEN in that program will PREVIEW the image as it can't do anything else

Post by Greg N » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:39:00

> the part you are not getting is that VIEWER ==============IMPLIES it does
> not EDIT images it only previews them

It's not always obvious to everybody involved who's not getting what :) :)

In explorer's file context menu, there is an option "open".
You described how to make "open" invoke the Pic&Fax Viewer.

In [my] explorer's file context menu, there is also an option "preview".
I want to know how to make "preview" invoke the Pic&Fax Viewer.

--

Post by l v » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:05:19

>> the part you are not getting is that VIEWER ==============IMPLIES it
>> does not EDIT images it only previews them

> It's not always obvious to everybody involved who's not getting what :) :)

> In explorer's file context menu, there is an option "open".
> You described how to make "open" invoke the Pic&Fax Viewer.

> In [my] explorer's file context menu, there is also an option "preview".
> I want to know how to make "preview" invoke the Pic&Fax Viewer.

Understand what you are looking for but not sure how to correct.  You
may need to find the proper registery entry to change.

Since "preview" is a default option, It could be as simple as changing
"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With" to
{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936} .   But that is just a guess.

You'd be better off posting to a Microsoft newsgroup vs this
multi-platform application newsgroup.

Until, you find the real answer, you can add your own "My Preview"
option by opening Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File
Types.   Select your extension, click Advanced.  Click New.
Action: My Preview
Application used ..... : rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

--
Len

Post by Greg N » Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:56:17

> You'd be better off posting to a Microsoft newsgroup vs this
> multi-platform application newsgroup.

Yes, obviously. Fair enough. Thanks!

--

Post by Greg N » Fri, 22 Jan 2010 02:01:11

> Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File
> Types.   Select your extension, click Advanced. ...

That was the ticket, thank you.  I got it fixed.

My problem was that I tried to change the file type entry for "JPG".
However, this one is just a clone of file type "JPEG".  Once I got JPEG
fixed, JPG was OK as well.

--

Post by Kabuk » Fri, 22 Jan 2010 03:40:04

>> Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types.   Select your
>> extension, click Advanced. ...

> That was the ticket, thank you.  I got it fixed.

> My problem was that I tried to change the file type entry for "JPG".
> However, this one is just a clone of file type "JPEG".  Once I got JPEG
> fixed, JPG was OK as well.

> --
> Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
> http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

> noise seems to convey great ideas of power to the ignorant
> - James Watt

your welcome

1. Default Associated Application and OPEN WITH window.

I want to let the user open up a file from my program. I have to options for
them. One is to open it from the Default Application that is associated with
the Filename and open is to open it with other applications. If they choose
open with other applications I want it to bring the Windows OPEN WITH dialog
box. How do I do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Farshad Hemmati

2. A reply to some misinformation

3. HOWTO: associate application-specific data with Inventor nodes?

4. Video Overlay in Media Studio 5.2

5. Icon associated with an application

6. Low level graphics library (C) wanted

7. Application's associated icon

8. RESPONDA A ESTA PERGUNTA

9. Graphic file previews in Windows Explorer

10. explorer platform preview

11. Thumnail Preview of Custom File Formats in Explorer ???

12. Print/preview an OpenGL view from an MFC application