Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

Post by J. R. Carpenter Jr » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello group,

I need to converse with someone knowledgeable in both Mac and PC graphics. I
work on a Mac in FreeHnad and PhotoShop, and am fairly good in FH but still
learning PS. When I try to convert or export my graphics for the PC users on
campus, they don't turn out well. I need to know which format to use, what
problems with PC hardware/software there might be, etc.

Thanks,
Rick Carpenter

Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

Post by Jay Eva » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 07 Jul 1998 13:28:02 -0600, "J. R. Carpenter Jr."

>Hello group,

>I need to converse with someone knowledgeable in both Mac and PC graphics. I
>work on a Mac in FreeHnad and PhotoShop, and am fairly good in FH but still
>learning PS. When I try to convert or export my graphics for the PC users on
>campus, they don't turn out well. I need to know which format to use, what
>problems with PC hardware/software there might be, etc.

>Thanks,
>Rick Carpenter

Please expand on your "don't turn out well". Doctors need more than "I
don't feel good"

"Who is John Gault"

Post by Mark Durge » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

|Hello group,
|
|I need to converse with someone knowledgeable in both Mac and PC graphics.
|work on a Mac in FreeHand and Photoshop, and am fairly good in FH but still
|learning PS. When I try to convert or export my graphics for the PC users
on
|campus, they don't turn out well. I need to know which format to use, what
|problems with PC hardware/software there might be, etc.

If the PC users have Photoshop and Freehand, then you don't need to export.
Just make sure you save to a PC disk.

If they don't have those programs, then they can export to TIF which is very
common for raster images. For the Freehand stuff you can export as AI or
CDR. (you can try other formats but those would be my first picks)

You really need to give a bit more info here.

Mark Durgee

Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

Post by J. R. Carpenter Jr » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>You really need to give a bit more info here.

OK, more details. I create tif's or eps's for my Mac use. I run a Mac
6100/66 with sys 7.5.3, FreeHand 7.02, PhotoShop 4.01, PageMaker 6.52. The
PC users run 95 or NT, and I'm not sure what versions of various apps they
use, but a lot try to import or place the images in WordPerfect or Word
files.

Sometimes the very same images are ragged as if bitmapped in grays when
printed from a PC when nice and sharp and black when printed from my Mac.
Sometimes the images are ragged as if bitmapped but black when printed from
a PC. Sometimes they get a white bounding box behind a PC image on screen.
That very same image when placed in a Mac document has a transparent
background. One PC user reports that an image prints well only when resized
to particular sizes.

I am able to send either raw files or tif/eps images off to a separator and
receive the proper set of negs. I want to know if there is something on the
PC side (user/software/hardware?) that I need to take into consideration
when saving/saving as or exporting. I have an HP LaserJet 4MV printer, the
PC users just have "office" printers, though some are quite good.

Thanks,
Rick

Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

Post by W TR » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>I am able to send either raw files or tif/eps images off to a separator and
>receive the proper set of negs. I want to know if there is something on the
>PC side (user/software/hardware?) that I need to take into consideration
>when saving/saving as or exporting. I have an HP LaserJet 4MV printer, the
>PC users just have "office" printers, though some are quite good.

***
Most of your problem is probably that you are using a Postscript printer
(LJ 4MV) and the PC folks are using "office" printers (non-Postscript).
Your TIFFs from Photoshop should work ok, though. Just remember to:

1. Save them as PC file types (check the PC box when you "Save as...)
2. Keep the file names in the 8.3 format (filename.tif) <-- note the "tif".
3. Save the files on a PC formated disk.

BTW: Always save your raster (bit map) files from Photoshop as
TIFFs. Some PC office apps (word processors, etc.) don't like Mac
EPSs for bit maps (actually bit mapped EPSs are non-standard. TIFF
is definitely the cross-platform standard for raster graphics & EPS
is the standard for vector graphics.)

I use files created on Macs all the time, but I'm a professional and have
the software and experience to understand the little quirks between
Macs & PCs. Actually... the only files that I have consistant trouble
with are Corel files created on PCs!!! Go figure :-)

Warren
Warren Tryk Design
Olympia, Washington

///
Remember: Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do ;-)
\\\

Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

Post by Jay Eva » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I agree with Warren on most points expect as noted below.

NEVER!! NEVER!! give the average PC user an EPS file. If they print at
all it will be the 72DPI preview. 99% of PC user have nonpostscript
printers. The white area you see is because most windows programs are
not able to handle a screen preview for an EPS properly(transparent
area goes white or black) Vector art for PC (for office printing) must
be converted to a WMF (Windows MetaFile) to remain in vector format
and keep transparent areas transparent.

Quote:>***
>Most of your problem is probably that you are using a Postscript printer
>(LJ 4MV) and the PC folks are using "office" printers (non-Postscript).
>Your TIFFs from Photoshop should work ok, though. Just remember to:

>1. Save them as PC file types (check the PC box when you "Save as...)

Never found this to be much of a problem, PC or Mac. My understanding
is this is only for compatability with some older (MSDOS) type
programs.

Quote:>2. Keep the file names in the 8.3 format (filename.tif) <-- note the "tif".
>3. Save the files on a PC formated disk.

>BTW: Always save your raster (bit map) files from Photoshop as
>TIFFs. Some PC office apps (word processors, etc.) don't like Mac
>EPSs for bit maps (actually bit mapped EPSs are non-standard. TIFF
>is definitely the cross-platform standard for raster graphics & EPS
>is the standard for vector graphics.)

>I use files created on Macs all the time, but I'm a professional and have
>the software and experience to understand the little quirks between
>Macs & PCs. Actually... the only files that I have consistant trouble
>with are Corel files created on PCs!!! Go figure :-)

>Warren
>Warren Tryk Design

Older Corel is a pain but newer versions do allow you save with a WMF
preview which solves some of the "Office PC" problems.

"Who is John Gault"

Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

Post by Mark Durge » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>PC users run 95 or NT, and I'm not sure what versions of various apps they
>use, but a lot try to import or place the images in WordPerfect or Word
>files.

That explains it all. Stay away from EPS files. TIF files should be OK. If
your Freehand Mac has WMF export you may want to use that for the vector
art. This will be much friendlier for the 'PC office' crowd.

Mark Durgee

1. Need Mac to PC graphics advice

Hello group,

I need to converse with someone knowledgeable in both Mac and PC graphics. I
work on a Mac in FreeHnad and PhotoShop, and am fairly good in FH but still
learning PS. When I try to convert or export my graphics for the PC users on
campus, they don't turn out well. I need to know which format to use, what
problems with PC hardware/software there might be, etc.

Thanks,
Rick Carpenter

2. Gnuplot or supermongo

3. Expert Mac advice needed.

4. Graphics libraries and intersection connection?

5. Company's possible migration from Mac to PC-Need Advice

6. jpeg LLM DCT constants

7. Mac user about to bail out- need PC advice

8. Need advice on leasing Mac for graphics work

9. Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

10. NEED ADVICE -- Which MAC for Graphics Design Student

11. Need expert advice.

12. Need expert advice on VCR choice!