Help Solve The Mystery

Post by Chris C » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Being that it's a huge application i use a small program called FreeSpace 1.0
> to run it in a compressed state.  Which, by the way, works out really
great for
> me, I don't notice a drain on system performance.

> So what's the problemy you may be thinking?  Well, the problem is not that i
> lost the plugins, because i can reinstall all of them.   The problem is to
> start with, I had
> 245 megabytes of harddrive space left on my system.  Now that the plugins i
> moved have vanished, I still have 245 megs of space left.   That is what
> puzzles me.   The Plugins i had consumed about 75 megs of harddrive space, so
> if they are no longer on my system, where are my 75 megs??

> If i reinstall the plugins again, i will lose 75 more megs.  I can't afford to
> even lose a megabyte of space as i am operating on a 1.01 gigabyte harddrive.

> Can anyone suggest how i can recover my 75 megs of harddrive space?

> Much obliged, and thanking anyone who can help in advance : )

Sounds like the compression program lost something (like a cluster or 2).
The only way you're going to get it back is to run a repair program, or
reformat and re-install.

(there's a reason most professionals do NOT trust disk compression software)

Chris

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by MagikkMo » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello to my FAVORITE NEWS GANG!!!!

I have an unusual problem and if anyone would like to help me out that would be
great.   This is my situation:

I am running the new Adobe PhotoShop 5 on pc.

Being that it's a huge application i use a small program called FreeSpace 1.0
to run it in a compressed state.  Which, by the way, works out really great for
me, I don't notice a drain on system performance.

As with most PhotoShop *s like myself, I have a huge plugin collection.

Inside of the main plugins directory, i made my own folder for all my third
party
plugins.

The other day i installed ULead Web Extensions 1.0 and it did not appear in my
filters menu.   I knew right away what to do.  Being I had used up all filter
sub menus allowed by PhotoShop, I selected about 2 groups of Plugins to move to
a temporary folder on my win95 desktop.

I re-started PhotoShop 5 confident that the new ULead Plguins would be listed,
but they were not.   I thought that was strange, so i went back to my 3rd party
plugins folder and selected all the plugins and moved them to the same
temporary
folder on the desktop.

Please keep in mind, that the plugins folder is also compressed with FreeSpace
and that I moved these plugins in a compressed state.

I re-initialized PhotoShop again and lo and behold, the ULead plugins were
listed.
I tried them out a bit and hated them, as i do most of ULead's products <g> and

went to uninstall them.

After I uninstalled ULead Web Extensions, I went to open the temporary folder i
made on the desktop and it was empty.  All my 3rd party plugins were gone,
every last one.

would you like to know what i lost?  ok, i'll tell you anyway.  I lost all my
Extensis
Plugins, PhotoTools, PhotoFrame, MaskPro, Intellihance,  I lost all my
Andromeda Filters, I had the whole run of them, KPT 2 and 3, Xaos Tools,
Genesis FX, AutoFX, FM Tile Tools, BladePro, EyeCandy 3, AlienSkin, and some
others i can't even remember right now.

Oh don't grieve for me, i was smart enough to know how impportant it is to back
up  your programs, and thank God i did.

So what's the problemy you may be thinking?  Well, the problem is not that i
lost the plugins, because i can reinstall all of them.   The problem is to
start with, I had
245 megabytes of harddrive space left on my system.  Now that the plugins i
moved have vanished, I still have 245 megs of space left.   That is what
puzzles me.   The Plugins i had consumed about 75 megs of harddrive space, so
if they are no longer on my system, where are my 75 megs??

If i reinstall the plugins again, i will lose 75 more megs.  I can't afford to
even lose a megabyte of space as i am operating on a 1.01 gigabyte harddrive.

I run this darn comptuer like a tight ship, knowing where every file is, and
it's purpose so I'm suspecting these plugins are not really removed from the
harddrive and that they're just invisible to windows?  I don't know what else
to think or what else to do.

This happened to me yesterday, so I have since re-booted many times and have
inspected each folder and even did a file search under dos and still cannot
find
these plugins.

Can anyone suggest how i can recover my 75 megs of harddrive space?

Much obliged, and thanking anyone who can help in advance : )

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by ToFoxyFo » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Have you ran Scan Disk yet?
Another thing you might want to run is checkdisk which checks for lost
clusters. If the compression program messed up the files checkdisk might be
able to solve your problem.
Rhonda

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by Mark Durge » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello to my FAVORITE NEWS GANG!!!!

>I have an unusual problem and if anyone would like to help me out that
would be
>great.   This is my situation:

>I am running the new Adobe PhotoShop 5 on pc.

With all the money you spent on plugins, buying a new hard drive should be a
no-brainer. Huge hard drives are so cheap, it just doesn't pay to compress
anymore.

Mark Durgee

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by ReD-DeVi » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

are running win95 or winnt4 with inet explorer 4.0? then go to windows
explorer and look at the very bottom of the drives.folders list on the left
hand side... there and behold should be your missing folder. win95 doesn't
show folders on the desktop itself since the new inet explorer came out but
it does list them in explorer as being there. check it out... i had the same
problem.

Joseph Beharriell
CanadaNorth R. & D.

ICQ: 6849435 - NEW!

"Windows 95 was unable to detect your keyboard.
              Press F1 to retry or F2 to abort"

> [...]

>even lose a megabyte of space as i am operating on a 1.01 gigabyte
harddrive.

>I run this darn comptuer like a tight ship, knowing where every file is,
and
>it's purpose so I'm suspecting these plugins are not really removed from
the
>harddrive and that they're just invisible to windows?  I don't know what
else
>to think or what else to do.

>This happened to me yesterday, so I have since re-booted many times and
have
>inspected each folder and even did a file search under dos and still cannot
>find
>these plugins.

>Can anyone suggest how i can recover my 75 megs of harddrive space?

>Much obliged, and thanking anyone who can help in advance : )

Post by MagikkMo » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Rhonda thanks, i forgot all about doing that !!
i'm gonna do that in a few minutes.

Thanks

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by MagikkMo » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Chris i never had to re-format my harddrive before.

i don't know exactly what that entails, but something tells me
that i'm in real big trouble.

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by MagikkMo » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

No i don't use those Norton Utilities any more.  I had it on my pc for about a
week and just found it to be very annoying.

I wish they were in the recycle bin though

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by MagikkMo » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

the plugins, and even the computer were gifts i had gotten a while back for
graduation. my whole family chipped in to get me started out on graphics with
the pc and stuff like that. so i am very grateful to them.

I really can't afford any new equipment or software right now. i think maybe
life is a little richer for you than it is for me. But i respect your opinion.

Help Solve The Mystery

Post by aardvark » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>are running win95 or winnt4 with inet explorer 4.0? then go to windows
>explorer and look at the very bottom of the drives.folders list on the left
>hand side... there and behold should be your missing folder. win95 doesn't
>show folders on the desktop itself since the new inet explorer came out but
>it does list them in explorer as being there. check it out... i had the
same
>problem.

Active Desktop here, and I can see all of my 13 folders perfectly.

Contents of C:\Windows\Desktop:

17 Folders, 198 Files
approximately 74 MB

-aardvarko

(and yes, my room's messy too :)

1. Need help to solve a mystery - dotted picture

Hello,
         I took a small black & white photograph and did SOMETHING to
it in either photoshop or Windows paint which made it turn out looking
like little dots composing the image.  Unfortunately I cannot remember
how I did it :(   Its something simple as I don't remember taking very
long to do it.

Please help me figure out how I could take that photo and achieve the
same effect.

Could you perhaps try it out and see if you can get a dotted picture as
SHARP as the one I have?  I've tried and tried but to no avail.

Thank in advance to anyone who helps me.

PS: I've tried Filter->Pixelate->Mezzotint but that does not give a
dotted image quite as sharp as the one I mysteriously generated.

2. Can't Move Biped

3. Can you solve a true mystery?

4. PageMakr FAQ update

5. Pavlov mystery solved...

6. 24 Bit Images

7. Help required with mystery library ‘ccvdil.lib’.

8. controlers selection

9. SuperPaint Mystery Help Please!

10. Super Paint Mystery Help!

11. please help: advice needed to solve simple gl programming problem