What is a "Troll"

Post by Mike C » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:11:53

This is from the "Official FAQ".

What is a Troll?

Answer:

A troll is a person in a newsgroup that tries to make trouble, or
is just annoying.

When you read their messages it seems like they think they are
above everyone
else. They call others silly or stupid just because others don't
agree with their way
of thinking.

They reply to messages with stuff like, read the manual, hire
someone to teach
you or do it for you or other stuff like that. They almost never
help people.

One of the known and more annoying trolls in the 2 photoshop
groups is Mike C.

He almost always answers a question with "Hire an artist to teach
you or do it
for you." and if you don't agree with the way he looks at things
he calls you silly.

He is rather annoying as most people in the newsgroups would
agree but there
is nothing we can do about it except filter his name. That is the
one good thing
about him, he uses the same name.

--
Mike C.

* Logo Design
* DHTML & GIF Animation
* Custom Graphics for YOUR Site!

Stop by and see if my skills and talents are up to your standards.

Site at:  http://www.artistmike.com
NEW SITE at: http://www.mikeslogoland.com/

What is a "Troll"

Post by Ross » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just went and read this "official" FAQ. It tries to explain what a
troll is. Is it an accurate definition? I don't think so, but who
cares? The FAQ, even if it had some magical powers, does not threaten
anyone who wants to be a troll.

The reference to "Mike C." is gratuitous, and the work of an amateur.
I think anyone "supporting" this FAQ should be a little embarrassed by
that. If you want even a prayer that an ISP will take this FAQ
seriously, you'd better start on another draft.

BTW, are people supporting each version of this FAQ, or once you
"officially" support it, your name becomes permanent?

Ross

Quote:

Post by Thomas Rohric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I just went and read this "official" FAQ. It tries to explain what a
>troll is. Is it an accurate definition? I don't think so, but who
>cares? The FAQ, even if it had some magical powers, does not threaten
>anyone who wants to be a troll.

I've always found "The Subtle Art of Trolling" at
http://www.altairiv.demon.co.uk/troll/trollfaq.html
to be a good starting point to identify troll-like behaviour. More than that,
it sheds some light on the psychology of the troll.

--
   Thomas Rohricht - CO2 Creative
  forward-thinking graphics and design

What is a "Troll"

Post by Nick Juli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On a tall mountain top in the middle of a great battle a little

>I just went and read this "official" FAQ. It tries to explain what a
>troll is. Is it an accurate definition? I don't think so, but who
>cares? The FAQ, even if it had some magical powers, does not threaten
>anyone who wants to be a troll.

>The reference to "Mike C." is gratuitous, and the work of an amateur.
>I think anyone "supporting" this FAQ should be a little embarrassed by
>that. If you want even a prayer that an ISP will take this FAQ
>seriously, you'd better start on another draft.

Thank you this is the type of feedback that I need, telling me what
should and should be in there.  I haven't got a clue, this is my first
time making one.  I'm do in the best I can.

Quote:

>BTW, are people supporting each version of this FAQ, or once you
>"officially" support it, your name becomes permanent?

Currently there is not remove button but there will be.  I will not
force anyone to be part of the FAQ if they don't feel its is something
that they don't like.

>Ross

>>This is from the "Official FAQ".

>>What is a Troll?

>>Answer:

>>A troll is a person in a newsgroup that tries to make trouble, or
>>is just annoying.

>>When you read their messages it seems like they think they are
>>above everyone
>>else. They call others silly or stupid just because others don't
>>agree with their way
>>of thinking.

>>They reply to messages with stuff like, read the manual, hire
>>someone to teach
>>you or do it for you or other stuff like that. They almost never
>>help people.

>>One of the known and more annoying trolls in the 2 photoshop
>>groups is Mike C.

>>He almost always answers a question with "Hire an artist to teach
>>you or do it
>>for you." and if you don't agree with the way he looks at things
>>he calls you silly.

>>He is rather annoying as most people in the newsgroups would
>>agree but there
>>is nothing we can do about it except filter his name. That is the
>>one good thing
>>about him, he uses the same name.

What is a "Troll"

Post by Nick Juli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On a tall mountain top in the middle of a great battle a little

>>I just went and read this "official" FAQ. It tries to explain what a
>>troll is. Is it an accurate definition? I don't think so, but who
>>cares? The FAQ, even if it had some magical powers, does not threaten
>>anyone who wants to be a troll.

>I've always found "The Subtle Art of Trolling" at
>http://www.altairiv.demon.co.uk/troll/trollfaq.html
>to be a good starting point to identify troll-like behaviour. More than that,
>it sheds some light on the psychology of the troll.

Thank you, i'll see about putting this link in the FAQ.

What is a "Troll"

Post by Mike C » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I've always found "The Subtle Art of Trolling" at
> >http://www.altairiv.demon.co.uk/troll/trollfaq.html
> >to be a good starting point to identify troll-like behaviour.

> Thank you, i'll see about putting this link in the FAQ.

I chuckle at you again Gwarsy...

You are so silly.

:^) ?

--
Mike C.

* Logo Design
* DHTML & GIF Animation
* Custom Graphics for YOUR Site!

Stop by and see if my skills and talents are up to your standards.

Site at:  http://www.artistmike.com
NEW SITE at: http://www.mikeslogoland.com/

1. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

Does anyone have a problem using PhotoShop 3.  I have alien skin filters
and Kai's Power Tools and yet if I use the spheroid designer in Kai's Power
Tools and then try to add a drop shadow to it using alien skin, PhotoShop
crashes.  Has anyone got a solution to this problem.  It's really bugging
me (pun not intentional).

Yours Pete

2. Hiearchical transformations

3. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

4. How do I have mouse messages 'pass through' a small bitmap to be intercepted by the component underneath

5. Dss Satellite "HU"&"H"card programming click link

6. Free Image from Corbis Images Royalty-Free!

7. ***WHICH IS BEST CAPTURE"SNAPPY""AIGOTCHA"?***

8. HELP - "mli"/"mat"

9. "Fur"/"hair" texture

10. popen("gnuplot", "w")

11. Q: Am I a "POSUER" or "PROFESSIONAL"?

12. wortarten von "manche", "mehrere" und "wenn"