Custom Web Page Building

Post by TheBookD » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

<<Perhaps we could
offer some assistance rather than just slamming the page.>>

What is the use in that?  The author said in the original message that he/she
would not be back...
Richard *

http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Lawstca » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Dated: 15 Sep 1998 08:40:57 -0400

>No, don't apologize. Making a site that can only be viewed
>with a certain
>browser is the worst sin there is.
>(wating eagerly for lists of even worse sins, even the
>dreaded horizontal scroll)

1) BLINK

2) Java Script pop-up "Enter your name"

3) Java Script - "You are using 'x' browser, and your
     OS is 'x' "

   David Alan
   comp.graphics.apps.photoshop FAQs
   http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/8144

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Han » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Dated: 15 Sep 1998 08:40:57 -0400

>>No, don't apologize. Making a site that can only be viewed
>>with a certain
>>browser is the worst sin there is.

>>(wating eagerly for lists of even worse sins, even the
>>dreaded horizontal scroll)

1) Huge java applet that takes minutes to initialize only to see it *out
or worse, crash the browser.
2) White text on white background color making it impossible to read until
the dark background image is loaded.  People, please match background color
with background image!!!
3) A scrollable frame that has no business being scrollable.
4) Complex background image.  There's a reason why it's called a
"back"ground and not a "fore"ground.

I'm sure everyone have their favorites too:)

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Kenny A. Chaff » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >Dated: 15 Sep 1998 08:40:57 -0400

> >>No, don't apologize. Making a site that can only be viewed
> >>with a certain
> >>browser is the worst sin there is.

> >>(wating eagerly for lists of even worse sins, even the
> >>dreaded horizontal scroll)

> 1) Huge java applet that takes minutes to initialize only to see it *out
> or worse, crash the browser.
> 2) White text on white background color making it impossible to read until
> the dark background image is loaded.  People, please match background color
> with background image!!!
> 3) A scrollable frame that has no business being scrollable.
> 4) Complex background image.  There's a reason why it's called a
> "back"ground and not a "fore"ground.

> I'm sure everyone have their favorites too:)

Red text on black background.
or dim grey text on any background.

--
KAC
Website Design, Programming, Graphics --> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Rick Nels » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Chaffin) said with great vengeance and fuuurious anger:

>> >Dated: 15 Sep 1998 08:40:57 -0400

>> 1) Huge java applet that takes minutes to initialize only to see it *out
>> or worse, crash the browser.
>> 2) White text on white background color making it impossible to read until
>> the dark background image is loaded.  People, please match background color
>> with background image!!!
>> 3) A scrollable frame that has no business being scrollable.
>> 4) Complex background image.  There's a reason why it's called a
>> "back"ground and not a "fore"ground.

>> I'm sure everyone have their favorites too:)

>Red text on black background.
>or dim grey text on any background.

JPG images saved at a compression of 8-10.

                  --Rick

Haus of Photoshop
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Custom Web Page Building

Post by aardvark » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

|or dim grey text on any background.

Not necessarily. Try around #DDDDDD on stark black, it's pretty easy on the
eyes. Also good for fine print.

--

-aardvarko at geocities dot com

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Don Ell » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:08:59 -0400, "aardvarko"

>|or dim grey text on any background.

>Not necessarily. Try around #DDDDDD on stark black, it's pretty easy on the
>eyes. Also good for fine print.

Also not a websafe colour.

Don

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Han » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:08:59 -0400, "aardvarko"

>>|or dim grey text on any background.

>>Not necessarily. Try around #DDDDDD on stark black, it's pretty easy on
the
>>eyes. Also good for fine print.

>Also not a websafe colour.

What's a websafe color?

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Don Ell » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:08:59 -0400, "aardvarko"

>>>Not necessarily. Try around #DDDDDD on stark black, it's pretty easy on
>the
>>>eyes. Also good for fine print.

>>Also not a websafe colour.

>What's a websafe color?

The short answer is that it's one of 216 colors that don't dither when
displayed on the myriad screens that access your web page, assuming
you're that popular.

If you'll realize that I'm hardly the color expert, I'll give you a
longer answer that will make this information more useful.

Mosaic, Netscape and Internet Explorer use the same 216 colors among
them. The additional 40 colors that make up 256 colors aren't used
because they vary among Macs and PCs.

Spotting a websafe color is simple. Web browsers use hexadecimal
call-outs of 6 characters --- 3 sets of 2 characters. Those
2-characters sets are

00
33
66
99
CC
FF

FFFFFF is white, 000000 is black.

Websafe colors are 003366, CCFFFF, 3399CC, etc.

Non-websafe colors are 003377, CCFF44, 3399DD, etc.

To create and use these colors in Photoshop, you'll need the RGB
equivalents, which aren't rocket science:

00      000     Not bad so far...
33      051     Add 51
66      102     Again
99      153     And again
CC      204     Etc.
FF      255     Finished

The 003300 green on my homepage becomes 000, 051, 000 in Photoshop.

Memorize the conversions for mental exercise or put a Post-It Note
guide on your monitor for convenience.

Don't get too e*d, however; with the exception of my green and
everyone else's black, the colors aren't terribly attractive. Math can
be beautiful, but not in this case, which is why so many people use
tiles.

One comment on photographs: don't remap them to a websafe palette.

Hope this helps.

Don

www.donellis.com

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Janne » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

All you ever wanted to know about the browser safe colour pallete :))
Including a swatch file for Photoshop for those who don't want to do
the math :))

http://www.lynda.com/hex.html

I don't know how I lived without this :))
Well I do but I'm not telling that's for a different group lol.

Regards
Jannett

>On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:08:59 -0400, "aardvarko"

>>|or dim grey text on any background.

>>Not necessarily. Try around #DDDDDD on stark black, it's pretty easy on the
>>eyes. Also good for fine print.

>Also not a websafe colour.

>Don

Custom Web Page Building

Post by Han » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>What's a websafe color?

>The short answer is that it's one of 216 colors that don't dither when
>displayed on the myriad screens that access your web page, assuming
>you're that popular.

Thanks.  I've read about the 216 colors, but I didn't remember that
"websafe" was a term for it.  I guess I didn't care much about it, because
the target audience for my personal website use 16-bit color or higher.  I
guess I should be more careful with the designs of my company's website.

...Han Nguyen
http://www.artwacko.com
Dirty hippies and no good beatniks are welcome as well.
====================

1. Free Custom Web Pages

I am owner of my own web design business at www.raveneye.com.
Currently I am offering my web design services at no cost to idiviuals or
businesses needing web pages. I will construct a website of up to 2 pages
with 3 scanned images free with a one year contract. This will mean we will
maintain your site on our server for one year at 10 dollars per page. So
for example.....We make you a 2 page site, It will cost 20 dollars a month
for a year. We will update it as needed.
Here is my personal homepage:
www.geocities.com/Paris/8254/
Please reply by e-mail.
Thankyou
Donna Smith

2. Doh!

3. Custom Web Pages and Graphics

4. USING OPACITY MAPPED OBJ'S WITH GLOW???

5. How learn web page building?

6. Newbie: 3D axis spacing?

7. PI6 Tutorial: Building a Web Page

8. Jurassic Park anyone?