designing logos to use in word for e-mailing

designing logos to use in word for e-mailing

Post by ginn » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:48:15

I've got a question for anyone who wouldn't mind helping me out. I'm
designing a logo for a small environmental group and they want to
import the logo into word.
I was never taught in my design classes how to create a logo with
text/image that would be importable in good quality in word for
viewing on screen with no background.
I was able to import the logo from Illustrator into Photoshop with no
anti-aliasing, which gave me the bitmapped "edge" and then I went to
Word and imported it and was able to drop the background out so that
there could be a colred background behind it(the client really wants
this). But it is in poor quality and doesn't read well.
What do I do to create something in color, using text and image, with
no background, that looks good in word?
(Resolution is not the issue; my file is 300 dpi). Also Word is able
to use the Graphics Converter, I think it is called, to import the
image.
Does this make any sence? I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks so much.

Post by Fox » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:59:11

> I've got a question for anyone who wouldn't mind helping me out. I'm
> designing a logo for a small environmental group and they want to
> import the logo into word.
> I was never taught in my design classes how to create a logo with
> text/image that would be importable in good quality in word for
> viewing on screen with no background.
> I was able to import the logo from Illustrator into Photoshop with no
> anti-aliasing, which gave me the bitmapped "edge" and then I went to
> Word and imported it and was able to drop the background out so that
> there could be a colred background behind it(the client really wants
> this). But it is in poor quality and doesn't read well.
> What do I do to create something in color, using text and image, with
> no background, that looks good in word?
> (Resolution is not the issue; my file is 300 dpi). Also Word is able
> to use the Graphics Converter, I think it is called, to import the
> image.
> Does this make any sence? I'd appreciate any advice.
> Thanks so much.

Although many people have problems using transparent PNGs (24bit) in
Internet Explorer -- they work GREAT in Word (M$Word 2002 on PC --
Word98 support on Mac is "not as good")... You can do amazing things
with the alpha channel data that can take advantage of the coloration of
the background of the page (takes practice though...).

In Photoshop -- Save for Web .. select PNG 24 bit -- check Transparency.
[if you're working on a Mac/PS6, the save for web view is NOT very
inspiring... just trust that it gets saved better than you see -- you
can always preview in mozilla/firefox]

In Word -- Insert > Picture > From File...

Don't be disconcerted by the appearance of the PNG in Windows Explorer
(in Thumbnail view, the image will look very much like it will in IE) --
that grey region is the transparency -- it will not show in Word.

Fox
************

designing logos to use in word for e-mailing

Post by Gadget » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:08:47

Can Word take a gif with transparency?  If so, then just Save for Web out of
Photoshop with transparency ticked.  If you have gradients or continuous
tone (photos) then use dithering too.  ImageReady might be more suitable as
Save for Web will drop your res to 72DPI, so have your image print size 4x
bigger if you need ~300DPI for printing.

If you can get away without transparency, then just match background colour
to document colour and save as gif for line art or jpg for continuous.

Cheers, Jason  (remove ... to reply)
Video & *: http://www.veryComputer.com/

designing logos to use in word for e-mailing

Post by Taci » Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:18:34

Quote:>What do I do to create something in color, using text and image, with
>no background, that looks good in word?

Word can accept an Illustrator EPS. On the screen, it will have an opaque white
background (due to a technical limitation in the graphics API in Microsoft
Windows), but it will print with no background to a Postscript printer. Note
that it will have an opaque background if printed to a non-PostScript printer!

Another option is to use a transparent PNG, which will place in Word correctly.

Of course, contrary to popular belief, Word is not a page layout program; if
your client finds themselves needing to do things like place transparent images
on a page, they really shouldn't be using Word. It's the wrong tool for the
job.

http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Post by Wald » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 05:36:18

> I've got a question for anyone who wouldn't mind helping me out. I'm
> designing a logo for a small environmental group and they want to
> import the logo into word.
> I was never taught in my design classes how to create a logo with
> text/image that would be importable in good quality in word for
> viewing on screen with no background.
> I was able to import the logo from Illustrator into Photoshop with no
> anti-aliasing, which gave me the bitmapped "edge" and then I went to
> Word and imported it and was able to drop the background out so that
> there could be a colred background behind it(the client really wants
> this). But it is in poor quality and doesn't read well.
> What do I do to create something in color, using text and image, with
> no background, that looks good in word?
> (Resolution is not the issue; my file is 300 dpi). Also Word is able
> to use the Graphics Converter, I think it is called, to import the
> image.
> Does this make any sence? I'd appreciate any advice.
> Thanks so much.

Just want to add to the other replies:

Wrong tool: use Illustrator (or similar) for designing the logo. Save as
EMF and place in Word.

Waldo

1. LOGO Design by LOGO-TOGO

Try http://www.logo-togo.com

Logo Design and Corporate Identity by LOGO-TOGO
Creates full solution Corporate Identity, Flash, Gif, 3D Animated
Logo, Visual, and Mascot.

We deliver your logo inside a MAC or PC fonts (truetype or
postscript).

2. Product info : 3D Browser 4.0.2 - View your 2D images files and your 3D objects

3. JF Graphic Design -logo design

4. VISIT!!!!!!!

5. LW5c (intel/alpha) BUG loading Cavefire

6. CSG Question

7. Quark logos in Word