Need help with pen tool.

Post by bp726 » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:15:39

Photoshop Windows CS4

I have a map of the United States.  I want to make a point in Los Angeles
and another point in NYC and connect them with a curved line.  I figured out
how to do it with the pen tool (I think).  But when I'm done I want to
change the width and color of the curved line I just created.  I cannot
figure out how to do it.  Actually, I used to know how to do it, but I
forgot and can't figure it out anymore.  Old age in a *...but better
than the alternative.  Help please.

Bill

Need help with pen tool.

Post by Kabuk » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:22:27

Quote:> Photoshop Windows CS4

> I have a map of the United States.  I want to make a point in Los Angeles
> and another point in NYC and connect them with a curved line.  I figured
> out
> how to do it with the pen tool (I think).  But when I'm done I want to
> change the width and color of the curved line I just created.  I cannot
> figure out how to do it.  Actually, I used to know how to do it, but I
> forgot and can't figure it out anymore.  Old age in a *...but better
> than the alternative.  Help please.

> Bill

when you draw with pen tool use the PATH option not the filled line (in bar
at top)
then you can use stroke path to make any brush stroke the line
set the brush point you like size texture etc
the hit the little circle that says stroke path

(see PATH palette on bottom)

Need help with pen tool.

Post by bp726 » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:13:27

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help.  I called Adobe yesterday and
after waiting on hold for 62 minutes got cut off.  I phoned back and waited
another 65 minutes for a guy from India to tell me it would cost $ to answer
my question.  So much for support on an expensive piece of software.

Anyway, here's what I did.

I select the "pen tool" on the left and the "Paths" icon options bar at top.
I draw the curved line I want
Then I right click the line and select "stroke path".  That brings up a box
named "Stroke Path".  From there I select "pencil".
The line is now in the proper color, but nowhere in any of the steps do I
see anything to indicate a way to change the width of the stroke.

What am I doing wrong.
Thanks in advance, I hope you can understnd what I'm trying to demonstrate.

I don't know where in the world you are...but if you wind up in Southern
California I owe you a beer.

Bill

Quote:> Photoshop Windows CS4

> I have a map of the United States.  I want to make a point in Los Angeles
> and another point in NYC and connect them with a curved line.  I figured
> out
> how to do it with the pen tool (I think).  But when I'm done I want to
> change the width and color of the curved line I just created.  I cannot
> figure out how to do it.  Actually, I used to know how to do it, but I
> forgot and can't figure it out anymore.  Old age in a *...but better
> than the alternative.  Help please.

> Bill

Need help with pen tool.

Post by Andrew Morto » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:19:49

> Anyway, here's what I did.

> I select the "pen tool" on the left and the "Paths" icon options bar
> at top. I draw the curved line I want
> Then I right click the line and select "stroke path".  That brings up
> a box named "Stroke Path".  From there I select "pencil".
> The line is now in the proper color, but nowhere in any of the steps
> do I see anything to indicate a way to change the width of the stroke.

Change the pencil settings before doing "stroke path".

Andrew

Need help with pen tool.

Post by Kabuk » Fri, 22 Jan 2010 03:43:42

>> Anyway, here's what I did.

>> I select the "pen tool" on the left and the "Paths" icon options bar
>> at top. I draw the curved line I want
>> Then I right click the line and select "stroke path".  That brings up
>> a box named "Stroke Path".  From there I select "pencil".
>> The line is now in the proper color, but nowhere in any of the steps
>> do I see anything to indicate a way to change the width of the stroke.

> Change the pencil settings before doing "stroke path".

> Andrew

^ what he said
or use the brush palette
create the thickness, color and other options before you hit stroke path

Need help with pen tool.

Post by bp726 » Fri, 22 Jan 2010 05:20:01

Thank you both....now I get it.

>> Anyway, here's what I did.

>> I select the "pen tool" on the left and the "Paths" icon options bar
>> at top. I draw the curved line I want
>> Then I right click the line and select "stroke path".  That brings up
>> a box named "Stroke Path".  From there I select "pencil".
>> The line is now in the proper color, but nowhere in any of the steps
>> do I see anything to indicate a way to change the width of the stroke.

> Change the pencil settings before doing "stroke path".

> Andrew

1. Tips on using the Pen tool needed!

Hi all.
The pen tool keyboard shortcuts in PS 5.0 appear to be somewhat
different than that of 4.0. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at
drawing with the pen tool the first time around and end up doing a
fair bit of editing of the path. If someone could share with me the
easiest way they've found to edit paths I would greatly appreciate it.
Also how do  you tell when moving a direction line is going to change
both sides of the anchor point? I normally will get one side the way I
like it and then when I try to do the other side both sides move and
messes up the curve I just made. Ctrl-Z and try again but it's
frustrating and takes forever. Thanks for your help!!
mike

2. PSP5 Problems with Attachments!

3. Pen Tool help

4. Converting APS6.0 brushes into APS5.5/5.0

5. freeform pen tool help

6. Powerbook recommendations needed

7. Help with using pen tool???

8. is CDR8 & PP8 OK under WinXP?

9. Help! Paths and pen tools

10. Help: Pen tool and points

11. need HELP to select software for new Wacom Pen and artZII Tablet

12. need help using Kurta Pen and Tablet...

13. Intuos Pen help needed