How do I find a complementary color

Post by Bob Creed » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
that yellow background.

What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to find
good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense of
color?

Thanks.
Bob

How do I find a complementary color

Post by Omidius Re » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

One of the biggest problems encountered on the web is the misuse of color.
I would recommend leaving photoshop for the help, and go straight to your
local community college or bookstore in search of color theory courses or
text.  I would also recommend picking up a color set (pantone) and start
practicing.  Cover the material in the collor theory class and begin to find
completments of colors found in print journals, on the web and so on.
Slowly you will become more adept at choosing the perfect matches of colors.
For example, try identifying colors in product lines, such as cars, or
furniture (ethan allan country), these all have a set scheme for color and
are often complementary.  Create projects for yourself and then slowly move
this to the computer, many artists have difficulty making the transition
from the real life to the screen, so try some web-browsing of sites as well.

Hope this helps.
Omidius Rexus

Quote:> I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
> with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
> shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
> that yellow background.

> What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to
find
> good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense
of
> color?

> Thanks.
> Bob

How do I find a complementary color

Post by Ramona Pruit » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Bob,

You might want to check out the following site:
http://www.colormatters.com/entercolormatters.html

The Color & Design section may help you out with learning some basic color
theory.

-Ramona

> I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
> with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
> shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
> that yellow background.

> What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to find
> good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense of
> color?

> Thanks.
> Bob

How do I find a complementary color

Post by J. A. M » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

tweaked a mouse's tail to post:

Quote:>I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
>with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
>shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
>that yellow background.

>What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to find
>good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense of
>color?

>Thanks.
>Bob

Technically, a complimentary color is 180 degrees in phase from the
current color. The color pallette will let you numerically select
this.

If you want suggestions of color groupings and you have Powerpoint -
open up their color scheme panel. It'll show you many color schemes.

How do I find a complementary color

Post by Keith Clar » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Or just go to your local art store and pick up a "Color Wheel"  for $2.

Keith

> tweaked a mouse's tail to post:

> >I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
> >with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
> >shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
> >that yellow background.

> >What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to find
> >good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense of
> >color?

> >Thanks.
> >Bob

> Technically, a complimentary color is 180 degrees in phase from the
> current color. The color pallette will let you numerically select
> this.

> If you want suggestions of color groupings and you have Powerpoint -
> open up their color scheme panel. It'll show you many color schemes.

How do I find a complementary color

Post by Bob Creed » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions.

Bob

> I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
> with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
> shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
> that yellow background.

> What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to find
> good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense of
> color?

> Thanks.
> Bob

Computing & Communications Services,
University of Guelph,
Guelph, Ontario, Canada

How do I find a complementary color

Post by Mary Bollinge » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Bob
What a ?! I could write a book on this for you! Very simply you are working in
RGB.
Since I can't write a book or do a demo get a book on color regarding light.
Pigment colors and
light colors are different and have different compliments. Get light.

Once you learn what complements are, ( the color that will grey the other
color), then
use the eyedropper tool with the info palette to find what the composition of a
color is: R:120 G:22: B:55.
This would tell you that the color is mainly red. So you would create a color
numerically using RGB to
create the compliment. OK. Also try learning about color itself. For starters
read some of the
books written by Joseph Albers, known as the father of color.
Hope this will lead you in the right direction.

If you have a fax# I can email you the light color wheel.
M.

> I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
> with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
> shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
> that yellow background.

> What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to find
> good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense of
> color?

> Thanks.
> Bob

  mmwbollinger.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Tom Nels » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
> > with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
> > shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
> > that yellow background.

If you want to find the complement of a color (i.e. the color halfway
around the color wheel), go to the Adobe color picker and choose a Hue
setting that's 180 degrees from the one you've got.

If by "complementary" you mean "looks good together" then you'll have to
learn about color theory. But the Hue setting will let you select those
colors accurately.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
--
My ISP does not have an "X" in its name

How do I find a complementary color

Post by Mary Bollinge » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Bob

Did you  figure out the math to this yet?? If not I will tell you.

M.

> I have a lot of trouble knowing what is a good complementary color to use
> with an existing color.  For instance, say I have a background that's a
> shade of yellow and I want to create text of a color that goes well with
> that yellow background.

> What techniques can be used in Photoshop (or with any other product) to find
> good matching colors for someone like me who doesn't have an inate sense of
> color?

> Thanks.
> Bob

  mmwbollinger.vcf
< 1K Download

1. convert to complementary colors?

Is there any way to convert an image to its complementary colors.  I tried
using the CMYK mode and inverting the C, M, and Y colors leaving the K
alone but the whites seem to get to dark.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

2. REAL 3D

3. complementary colors, how to derive?

4. Rendering Package - Pixcon 1.05

5. It's done, done, done!

6. hsepovb1.zip-script program for POVray - hsepovb1.zip (14/29)

7. True complementary italics

8. gold color ..

9. complementary italics

10. True complementary italics

11. Where to get inexpensive color printing done?

12. Antialiasing - Ever done it on a color LCD?

13. Best way of doing four passes color correction on an image