Tiff><PSD changing - any degradation ?

Post by frank » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:45:39

is there any image degradation changing to and from Tiff  & PSD formats ?

I have found and started using Polaroid's free Dust & Scratches (Plug-in &
stand alone) filter/app -  but it only uses Tiff and I'm in the habit of
working with .PSD files - so if I save a copy to Tiff , do the filter work
and then save it to overwrite the .psd is there any degradation ?

thanks
Frank

Tiff><PSD changing - any degradation ?

Post by Eric Gil » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:51:34

Quote:> is there any image degradation changing to and from Tiff  & PSD
> formats ?

> I have found and started using Polaroid's free Dust & Scratches
> (Plug-in & stand alone) filter/app -  but it only uses Tiff and I'm in
> the habit of working with .PSD files - so if I save a copy to Tiff ,
> do the filter work and then save it to overwrite the .psd is there any
> degradation ?

Not if you use no or lossless compression in the Tiff, no. If there is a
real difference between the two after the last two versions of PS, I
haven't found them.

Tiff><PSD changing - any degradation ?

Post by Taci » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:01:27

Quote:>so if I save a copy to Tiff , do the filter work
>and then save it to overwrite the .psd is there any degradation ?

No. TIFF and Photoshop formats are both lossless.

--
"Quand la morale triomphe, il se passe des choses tres vilaines."
Literature. Art. Photography. Forums. Shareware. Kink. Sex.

Tiff><PSD changing - any degradation ?

Post by Ronald Kelle » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:19:33

Hello Tacit,

Quote:> TIFF and Photoshop formats are both lossless.

Provided you don't use JPEG compression on the TIFF format.

Greetings from Belgium,

Ronald  -  Remove 123 when replying by email

Post by jer » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:04:12

>> so if I save a copy to Tiff , do the filter work
>> and then save it to overwrite the .psd is there any degradation ?

> No. TIFF and Photoshop formats are both lossless.

I've probably seen this addressed before, but is there any utility that will
convert .jpgs to .tiffs in a batch?

--
jan

"There's only one person who hugs the mothers and the widows, the wives
and the kids upon the death of their loved one. Others hug but having
committed the troops, I've got an additional responsibility to hug and
that's me and I know what it's like." - Pres. GW Bush, Washington,
D.C., Dec. 11, 2002

Tiff><PSD changing - any degradation ?

Post by Taci » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:10:44

Quote:>I've probably seen this addressed before, but is there any utility that
>will convert .jpgs to .tiffs in a batch?

Photoshop willl do it. On the Mac, graphicConverter will as well; on the PC, I
believe ACDSee has this functionality also.

Converting a JPEG to a TIFF will not restore the lost quality. That's the whole
point with lossy compression like JPEG--the information that is lost is gone
forever.

--

Post by jer » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:56:22

>> I've probably seen this addressed before, but is there any utility
>> that
>> will convert .jpgs to .tiffs in a batch?

> Photoshop willl do it. On the Mac, graphicConverter will as well; on
> the PC, I believe ACDSee has this functionality also.

> Converting a JPEG to a TIFF will not restore the lost quality. That's
> the whole point with lossy compression like JPEG--the information
> that is lost is gone forever.

And I don't mind the loss from one initial conversion (I suffer it anyway,
given that my camera shoots in .jpg). I was just hoping to save time by
converting them all at once, instead of opening one by one and "saving as."

--
jan

"There's only one person who hugs the mothers and the widows, the wives
and the kids upon the death of their loved one. Others hug but having
committed the troops, I've got an additional responsibility to hug and
that's me and I know what it's like." - Pres. GW Bush, Washington,
D.C., Dec. 11, 2002

Tiff><PSD changing - any degradation ?

Post by edjh » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:52:37

Make an action and Batch it under Automate. All the info you need is in
the manual or Help.

--
Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html

Post by jer » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:52:48

> Make an action and Batch it under Automate. All the info you need is
> in
> the manual or Help.

THANK YOU!!!!!

--
jan

"There's only one person who hugs the mothers and the widows, the wives
and the kids upon the death of their loved one. Others hug but having
committed the troops, I've got an additional responsibility to hug and
that's me and I know what it's like." - Pres. GW Bush, Washington,
D.C., Dec. 11, 2002

Tiff><PSD changing - any degradation ?

Post by Lex vd Oudeweeterin » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:05:49

If you have windows, You can try IrfanView as well.
It's free and you can easily rename them as well in batch.
I prefer it over AcdSee

--
Lex van de Oudeweetering - illustrator BNO
Koning Nobelpad 7 - 3813 KJ  Amersfoort

Find examples of my work at:
http://home.planet.nl/~lex-illustrator
Easier to remember is: ( But you get a .tk pop-up)
http://www.lex-illustrator.tk

Find me and other  dutch illustrators at:
http://www.dutch-illustration.com

Post by jer » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:28:18

> If you have windows, You can try IrfanView as well.
> It's free and you can easily rename them as well in batch.
> I prefer it over AcdSee

Hey, thanks. In fact I *do* have IrfanView, and as I recall I got it a year
ago when I needed to convert .tiffs to .jpgs :) I never ended up having to
use it but I'll give it another look now.