art techniques for eliminating banding

Post by Dawid Michalczy » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:00:35

Hi,

I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding. The most
common ones are adding noise and rendering at higher bit depths for
gradients etc. What else do you recommend? I'm interested in general
ideas not specific instructions. Thanks.

Dawid Michalczyk
--
_DMEW_  Abstract art
http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/abstract/abstract_gallery_1.html

art techniques for eliminating banding

Post by Alan Smithe » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 23:24:24

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding. The most
> common ones are adding noise and rendering at higher bit depths for
> gradients etc. What else do you recommend? I'm interested in general ideas
> not specific instructions. Thanks.

> Dawid Michalczyk
> --
> _DMEW_  Abstract art
> http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/abstract/abstract_gallery_1.html

What type of banding you mean.

Do you mean colour banding?
http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/Colour_banding_example01.png

Or high ISO banding (on the left/middle)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickmayon/2921459634/

I am assuming you mean colour banding.  I have heard of the technique you
mentioned, but can't for the life of me remember where.  From memory this
was a technique used by Ben Willmore.

art techniques for eliminating banding

Post by ronvi.. » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 23:45:42

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding.
> Dawid Michalczyk
> --
> _DMEW_ ?Abstract arthttp://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/abstract/abstract_gallery_1.html

Are the bands more in the reflections or from the surfaces? Some
things you might try.
Increase the brightness of the colors and decrease the brightness of
the scene.
Decrease the contrast of the bump map or change its height in the
renderer try using a high pass filter on it.
Choose colors that are closer together.
Try lighting with a different environment map.
Blur your reflection map.
Increase the number of anti-aliasing samples.

art techniques for eliminating banding

Post by CL8' » Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:45:59

Hi Dawid - I've never experienced banding in any print jobs, and I use
gradients all the time. I have heard of doing the gradients in
Photoshop though, then taking them into InDesign as an image.

---
CL8'N.

art techniques for eliminating banding

Post by John » Sun, 21 Dec 2008 00:10:30

Quote:> I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding.
> Dawid Michalczyk

I'm fairly sure you mean banding on the print - it is caused by the
printer. First do the necessary drill of cleaning and calibrating the
head, however rarely works to cure banding, so your next question might
be whether you should get a new and better printer or contract the
printing out.

Post by Dawid Michalczy » Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:22:13

> Hi,

> I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding. The most
> common ones are adding noise and rendering at higher bit depths for
> gradients etc. What else do you recommend? I'm interested in general
> ideas not specific instructions. Thanks.

To be more specific I'm talking about color banding (not bending) of
colors on screen (not in print). Here is a description of what banding
is with an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

Color banding can often be a problem even with 32bit rendering. As I
wrote, I'm interested in the less common techniques used to eliminate it.

Dawid Michalczyk
--

Post by John » Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:12:04

>> Hi,

>> I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding. The
>> most common ones are adding noise and rendering at higher bit depths
>> for gradients etc. What else do you recommend? I'm interested in
>> general ideas not specific instructions. Thanks.

> To be more specific I'm talking about color banding (not bending) of
> colors on screen (not in print). Here is a description of what banding
> is with an example:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

I've not experienced it myself in the past several years.

Post by stegg » Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:49:52

John J schreef:

>>> Hi,

>>> I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding. The
>>> most common ones are adding noise and rendering at higher bit depths
>>> for gradients etc. What else do you recommend? I'm interested in
>>> general ideas not specific instructions. Thanks.

>> To be more specific I'm talking about color banding (not bending) of
>> colors on screen (not in print). Here is a description of what banding
>> is with an example:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

> I've not experienced it myself in the past several years.

Loads of years, it seems it has more to do with screen-quality...and
that is a very hard thing to overcome.

Post by mike » Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:00:56

> > Hi,

> > I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding. The most
> > common ones are adding noise and rendering at higher bit depths for
> > gradients etc. What else do you recommend? I'm interested in general
> > ideas not specific instructions. Thanks.

> To be more specific I'm talking about color banding (not bending) of
> colors on screen (not in print). Here is a description of what banding
> is with an example:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

> Color banding can often be a problem even with 32bit rendering. As I
> wrote, I'm interested in the less common techniques used to eliminate it.

> Dawid Michalczyk

I had a similar problem with an Illustrator image a couple of years ago,
where I had a series of blends and gradients between two fairly similar
golours. It looked OK on the screen but banded horribly when I printed
from Illustrator. Solved the problem by exporting a fairly high
resolution bitmap image and then printing that (was OK as a one-off
solution, but wouldn't want to do it every time). The problem was only
apparent when the end colours of the blend/gradient were _fairly_
similar in hue, saturation and/or value.

Mike

Post by Alan Smithe » Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:05:33

>> Hi,

>> I'm looking for different techniques used to eliminate banding. The most
>> common ones are adding noise and rendering at higher bit depths for
>> gradients etc. What else do you recommend? I'm interested in general
>> ideas not specific instructions. Thanks.
> To be more specific I'm talking about color banding (not bending) of
> colors on screen (not in print). Here is a description of what banding is
> with an example:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

> Color banding can often be a problem even with 32bit rendering. As I
> wrote, I'm interested in the less common techniques used to eliminate it.

Obviously, the higher bit depth of the original file, the more shades you
have and therefore less chance of posterisation when editing.

It's not something I have had a problem with myself, but as others have
suggested that it could be your monitor or printer, I would look at the
histogram.  What does the histogram look like (Note;  If there's a warning
triangle in the upper right of the histogram, click this first to refresh
the histogram more accurately)?  Can you see gaps indicating posterisation?

As mentioned, I have heard of adding noise to reduce posterisation.  Ben
Wilmore has another technique in his book, which involves using the magic
wand tool, modify border and gausian blur.  Never tried it myself though.

1. Eliminating Gradient Banding

Hello, I'm currently attempting to draw a horizontal gradient bar.  When
it's viewed on 24-bit color, it looks beautiful.  Unfortunately, on anything
less than that (like 16-bit color), you can see a banding effect (where each
color becomes distinct from the previous color).

I'd like to be able to get rid of this banding effect, but I don't what the
algorithms are.  I understand that it may require some dithering, but I've
never done this before.  Does anyone have an example I could look at on how
to do this?

Thanks!

2. Full Page Drawing on Printer Canvas

3. Rubber Banding Technique (XOR)

4. Is there any way to take a bitmapped image (TIFF, JPG, PSD) into Lightwave, and use it to make points....?

5. ART art ART art ART ART ART ART ART WEB SITE

6. Another NG for AS?

7. Memory Vs CPU - The Best Compromise?

8. Line Art Technique

9. Waterolor technique and digital art galleries

10. New Art Gallery - Tehan's Art Gallery (Digital Art and Movies)