Clone Between Layers--How?

Post by Terr » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:27:10

Hi,

I am having problem getting the following to work in Photoshop 6.
I have a RGB image in the background layer and I copy this image
into a new layer.  In the new layer, I blur the image and I want
to use the clone tool to clone part of this blurred image back
to the background layer.  I need to have the blurred image and
the orginal image perfectly registered during the cloning.  I know
in photoshop 4, I could take a snapshot and do the cloning.  But
I cannot figure out how to do this in version 6.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Terry

Clone Between Layers--How?

Post by Don Jolle » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:27:48

Terry,

Photoshop 6 offers a far superior solution than cloning back into an
original layer.  Just apply a layer mask to the blurred layer and then paint
away the undesired area on the layer mask.  You end up with not only perfect
registration, but additional options such as being able to adjust the
opacity of the blur.  You can keep the file in the layered format and make
edits to the blur amount without rebuilding the whole thing (and wondering
what step went where).

Don

Quote:> Hi,

> I am having problem getting the following to work in Photoshop 6.
> I have a RGB image in the background layer and I copy this image
> into a new layer.  In the new layer, I blur the image and I want
> to use the clone tool to clone part of this blurred image back
> to the background layer.  I need to have the blurred image and
> the orginal image perfectly registered during the cloning.  I know
> in photoshop 4, I could take a snapshot and do the cloning.  But
> I cannot figure out how to do this in version 6.

> Thanks in advance for your help,

> Terry

Clone Between Layers--How?

Post by Malcolm C » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:35:16

Totally agree with Terry layer masks are superior - additionally you can "paint"
back areas you have removed !
Malcolm

> Terry,

> Photoshop 6 offers a far superior solution than cloning back into an
> original layer.  Just apply a layer mask to the blurred layer and then paint
> away the undesired area on the layer mask.  You end up with not only perfect
> registration, but additional options such as being able to adjust the
> opacity of the blur.  You can keep the file in the layered format and make
> edits to the blur amount without rebuilding the whole thing (and wondering
> what step went where).

> Don

> > Hi,

> > I am having problem getting the following to work in Photoshop 6.
> > I have a RGB image in the background layer and I copy this image
> > into a new layer.  In the new layer, I blur the image and I want
> > to use the clone tool to clone part of this blurred image back
> > to the background layer.  I need to have the blurred image and
> > the orginal image perfectly registered during the cloning.  I know
> > in photoshop 4, I could take a snapshot and do the cloning.  But
> > I cannot figure out how to do this in version 6.

> > Thanks in advance for your help,

> > Terry

1. Clone between layers..

Will the clone brush clone from one layer to another?  If so how does
it work?  Is there a tutorial available?

Thanks...

Regards,
Ben

http://home.att.net/~bpugsley