Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Moses Elia » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

When you use a paintbrush you add colors to an image, blues, greens,
browns, etc.

Just wondering if there is a reverse paintbrush where you can remove
blues, greens, browns etc., in exactly the reverse way in which you
would apply paint.  I need this feature for photo restoration.

I suppose this could come in the form of a plug-in.

Any ideas appreciated?

Moses

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Ross » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

To "paint" a color-correction, I would make an Adjustment Layer using
Curves, Selective Color, etc., then Fill it with black. By painting on
the Adjustment Layer with white, at varying opacities, you can
manually determine where colors are changed and by how much.

You can also paint color changes by using Blending modes. Hue and
Color being the most obvious.

Ross

Quote:

>When you use a paintbrush you add colors to an image, blues, greens,
>browns, etc.

>Just wondering if there is a reverse paintbrush where you can remove
>blues, greens, browns etc., in exactly the reverse way in which you
>would apply paint.  I need this feature for photo restoration.

>I suppose this could come in the form of a plug-in.

>Any ideas appreciated?

>Moses

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Moses Elia » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

That was a good idea.
Thanks.

Moses

> To "paint" a color-correction, I would make an Adjustment Layer using
> Curves, Selective Color, etc., then Fill it with black. By painting on
> the Adjustment Layer with white, at varying opacities, you can
> manually determine where colors are changed and by how much.

> You can also paint color changes by using Blending modes. Hue and
> Color being the most obvious.

> Ross

> >When you use a paintbrush you add colors to an image, blues, greens,
> >browns, etc.

> >Just wondering if there is a reverse paintbrush where you can remove
> >blues, greens, browns etc., in exactly the reverse way in which you
> >would apply paint.  I need this feature for photo restoration.

> >I suppose this could come in the form of a plug-in.

> >Any ideas appreciated?

> >Moses

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Jack A. Zucke » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Why not use the dodge tool ?

Jack A. Zucker

Web   : http://www.jackzucker.com

> To "paint" a color-correction, I would make an Adjustment Layer using
> Curves, Selective Color, etc., then Fill it with black. By painting on
> the Adjustment Layer with white, at varying opacities, you can
> manually determine where colors are changed and by how much.

> You can also paint color changes by using Blending modes. Hue and
> Color being the most obvious.

> Ross

> >When you use a paintbrush you add colors to an image, blues, greens,
> >browns, etc.

> >Just wondering if there is a reverse paintbrush where you can remove
> >blues, greens, browns etc., in exactly the reverse way in which you
> >would apply paint.  I need this feature for photo restoration.

> >I suppose this could come in the form of a plug-in.

> >Any ideas appreciated?

> >Moses

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Ross » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Why not use the dodge tool ?

>--

For what?

Ross

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Jack A. Zucke » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> For what?

> Ross

For what *WHAT* ?

Jaz

--
Jack A. Zucker

Web   : http://www.jackzucker.com

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Ross » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> For what?

>> Ross

>For what *WHAT* ?

>Jaz

I hope these are being archived. :)

The original question was about painting a color-correction. Since the
Dodge tool doesn't adjust colors, I was wondering if you knew
something about the tool I'm unaware of.

Ross

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Jack A. Zucke » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> The original question was about painting a color-correction. Since the
> Dodge tool doesn't adjust colors, I was wondering if you knew
> something about the tool I'm unaware of.

> Ross

Fair enough. I've used the dodge tool to reduce colors plenty of times. I
may have missed the original context but for example, my digital camera is
extremely sensitive to reds so ears, under the eyes, nose, etc., come out
looking like the subject's been on a drinking binge. Previously, I was
painstakingly selecting the offending sections through color range, magic
wand, quick-masks, etc. Then I would go into hue-saturation, reduce the red
saturation by 20 points, increase the brightness by 10, then do a 10% fill
using a less pink flesh tone. I showed this technique to a buddy who
promptly grabbed the mouse from me, selected the dodge tool with a 20%
exposure, an impressionist brush and accomplished the same deal in about 5
seconds! Of course, this won't work for every situation but for many
situations it works great!

Jaz

--
Jack A. Zucker

Web   : http://www.jackzucker.com

Post by Keith Clar » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >> For what?

> >> Ross

> >For what *WHAT* ?

> >Jaz

> I hope these are being archived. :)

> The original question was about painting a color-correction. Since the
> Dodge tool doesn't adjust colors, I was wondering if you knew
> something about the tool I'm unaware of.

> Ross

I suppose you could use a couple of things that were suggested.

OR, you could use the HISTORY BRUSH.

For instance if you want to remove blue, save a snapshot of the original
image to the history palette, then use the saturation command to remove
ALL blue. Save the results of the saturation command to a second
snapshot.

Now select your original snapshot. Click the history brush tool, and
select the second snapshot as the one to use the brush with. Choose a
VERY LIGHT setting for the history brush, and just start painting.
Everywhere you paint will have blue, and only blue, removed.

Use the same procedure/technique to brush away red, yellow, green, etc.
Time consuming? Yeah, but any hand retouching is.

This is intentionally vague because I'm not paid to write how-to
articles for usenet. ;> See your manual or the help file for more
explicit info on using the history palette.

Be sure to use a pressure sensitive tablet so you don't end up giving
yourself a royal case of carpal tunnel.

Hope it helps,

Keith

PS I'd love to hear a better way if anyone has one...

Reverse Painting/Stripping Paint

Post by Ross » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

The Dodge tool lightens (increases exposure). It maintains the hue of
the colors it affects, and usually desaturates them. If that's the
effect you need, great. It won't change hues, or remove a color cast,
and you can't restrict it to a particular color without a precise
selection.

Actually, your answer may be more what the original poster was asking
for.

Ross

Quote:

>> The original question was about painting a color-correction. Since the
>> Dodge tool doesn't adjust colors, I was wondering if you knew
>> something about the tool I'm unaware of.

>> Ross

>Fair enough. I've used the dodge tool to reduce colors plenty of times. I
>may have missed the original context but for example, my digital camera is
>extremely sensitive to reds so ears, under the eyes, nose, etc., come out
>looking like the subject's been on a drinking binge. Previously, I was
>painstakingly selecting the offending sections through color range, magic
>wand, quick-masks, etc. Then I would go into hue-saturation, reduce the red
>saturation by 20 points, increase the brightness by 10, then do a 10% fill
>using a less pink flesh tone. I showed this technique to a buddy who
>promptly grabbed the mouse from me, selected the dodge tool with a 20%
>exposure, an impressionist brush and accomplished the same deal in about 5
>seconds! Of course, this won't work for every situation but for many
>situations it works great!

>Jaz

1. Paint Shop Pro Paint Brush Strength

I have recently come across a tutorial page on the web that gave
examples of doing digital landscape paintings using Paint Shop Pro 3.X.
In the tutorial, the author refers to pushing color with the paint brush
strength set to a specific number.  All my attempts in Paint Shop Pro
4.X to find any reference to Paint Brush Strength have failed.  Can some
one explain it to me and explain how to get the same affect with 4.X.

Tnank in advance.

Rick Borton

2. Please help POOR COLLEGE STUDENT from NJ get SUMMER JOB (in graphic design or anything)!

3. Using deep paint 3d to paint a box with mapping coordinates

5. Paint Shop Pro 2000 _ Brushes & Painting

6. ColorSync 2.0

7. Deep Paint / Satori paint???

8. Porche Boxter or Luxury Cruise Earn $$$ In Days This Works!!!

9. 4d Paint Rembrant vs. Mesh Paint

10. Texture Painting \ 3D Painting which route?

11. Deep Paint 3D paint on Lightwave LWO objects!

12. Paint in tpaintbox makes parent re-paint... Flicker

13. Paintings using Acrylic Spray paint