GIF plug-ins/transparent GIF's

Post by Charlie Wo » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Well, here goes. In reference to a small squabble going on about whether
or not to use a do-it-all-for-you transparent GIF plug-in (such as
PhotGIF, or others).

IMHO, plug-ins may be great time savers, but they do tend to remove users
from what is going on. When it comes to design and the web, people should
be tuned in to what they are creating. We all know how many cruddy-looking
web pages are out there. It doesn't take long to learn the hows and whys
of Photoshop's features, and in doing so, one takes command of the
knowledge necessary to design top quality work, in areas other than those
addressed by someone's plug-in.

As easy as it is to plug in a drop shadow filter,for example, one could
learn how to do it manually (it doesn't take too much longer than
selecting the filter and waiting for the apply time, anyway). And then
further learn how to modify it with colors, effect filters and some of the
layering commands to acheive results far beyond that of the basic plug-in.

Adobe's GIF89a plug-in, however, is a necessary feature for Photoshop to
create transparency and, indeed, export the file as a GIF with secial
palettes and interlacing, etc. Included is full instruction on its use.
And with it, users can know what the process is to making transparent
GIF's, instead of relegating it to a plug-in that does the job for you,
behind the scenes (against your will? Eeyyooo!)

flame on!

--
Charlie Wood

Frank Dog Design - Graphic Design & Consulting
Portland, OR

Post by Travis Ant » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Well, here goes. In reference to a small squabble going on about whether
> or not to use a do-it-all-for-you transparent GIF plug-in (such as
> PhotGIF, or others).

Hmmm, why do I feel I've been baited? What others? What the hell do you
mean do-it-all-for-you? You mean let-you-do-it-all. It's a great tool,
but I think there would be a bigger comotion if we actually had come up
with a computer program that thought for itself and did all your work
for you while you proped your feet up like George Jetson.

Quote:> IMHO, plug-ins may be great time savers, but they do tend to remove users
> from what is going on. When it comes to design and the web, people should
> be tuned in to what they are creating. We all know how many cruddy-looking
> web pages are out there. It doesn't take long to learn the hows and whys
> of Photoshop's features, and in doing so, one takes command of the
> knowledge necessary to design top quality work, in areas other than those
> addressed by someone's plug-in.

The very reason that plug-ins are so popular, and for that matter why
Photoshop is so popular is they let you get more done in less time so
you can make more money and have more time left over when you are done.

I agree it's very nice to really understand at a deep intrinsic level
what you are doing, but it is an accademic argument that, well, has
little place in the 'real world'. I wish it did and think that every
one should be required to learn the complete file structure of the GIF
format and the principal and practical implimentation of LZW
compression before being allowed to use any plug-in that removes one
from those mundane and complicated aspects of saving a GIF file to disk
after your creative work is done.

However, since no one in their right bloomin' mind wants to do that
certain plug-ins as are the subject of the flame-bait exist to help.

It is somewhat more than ludacrous to suggest that the idea of a more
capable tool for the task at hand, i.e. PhotoGIF, somehow removes from
the creative purity of design or is responsible for all the ugly web
pages that exist.

In case no one told you it's an after-the-fact, with respect to the
creative process, production tool to convert to the required format
with a little more ease of use and a lot more control than other
available options.

Or did you confuse it with Kia's Power Tools?

Quote:> As easy as it is to plug in a drop shadow filter,for example, one could
> learn how to do it manually (it doesn't take too much longer than
> selecting the filter and waiting for the apply time, anyway). And then
> further learn how to modify it with colors, effect filters and some of the
> layering commands to acheive results far beyond that of the basic plug-in.

Yep, you confused it - or should I say intentionaly misconstrued it -
with Kia's power Tools.

Quote:> Adobe's GIF89a plug-in, however, is a necessary feature for Photoshop to
> create transparency and, indeed, export the file as a GIF with secial
> palettes and interlacing, etc. Included is full instruction on its use.
> And with it, users can know what the process is to making transparent
> GIF's, instead of relegating it to a plug-in that does the job for you,
> behind the scenes (against your will? Eeyyooo!)

Ehh? In the words of Gordon Ganno, "Did you do too many *?" (For
future refrence that is the stuff proper flames are made of.)

PhotoGIF is an invaluable tool for web graphics production that far
surpases the capability and functionality already available in
Photoshop and contrary to what you suggest allows much more direct
control over the process of creating GIF images as well as GIF
animation that attainable using the GIF89a Export plug-in.

Although, not strictly nesscary to save a plain vanila GIF file from
Photoshop just as Photoshop is not even remotely required to perform
image editing, which can be done with tools as primitive as a
hexadecimal file editor if one has sufficient *ic inclanation
resulting from unspeakable childhood traumas long represed, is a tool
well worth the modest cost for those who spend any measurable amount of
time producing GIF images for the web.

As I like to say, you can drive a nail with a rock, but a good hammer
just works so much better even if you have to pay $20 bucks at the
hardware store. I know of no carpenters who still drive nails with
rocks. They know the value of a good tool and also the real cost of a
poor tool. Thy also know that no tool 'does the job for you'. They can
only make your job easier, more profitable, and the quality of your
work better.

P.S. PhotoGIF doesn't do anything 'behind the sceens' in mysterious
voodooistic manner. Like all software it can only do exactly what you
tell it to. If it did something against your will it's your own damn
fault for not reading the documentation and knowing what your will was.
PhotoGIF also has full instructions on it's use.

Quote:> flame on!

FYI: Work on your form and have an argument that is either less
ridiculous or more ridiculous next time. That'll work better to get
everyone going than just the mediocher, psuedo-logical bullshit. For a
good flame you want to provoke a deeply felt emotional responce and
well, you, just didn't. Go ahead, don't be shy, take a low blow -
critisize my spelling. God knows, it bad enough. :)

Quote:> --
> Charlie Wood

> Frank Dog Design - Graphic Design & Consulting
> Portland, OR

PhotoGIF 2.1 - 1996 MacUser Eddy Award Finalist, Best New Production
Tool
http://www.veryComputer.com/

ProJPEG 2.1 - Never guess again what your JPEGs will look like or how
big
they will be with ProJPEG's live quality and compression preview.
http://www.veryComputer.com/

The PlugPage - Find every Mac and Windows Photoshop plugin available
for
download on the net. http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Announce: GIF-video without plug-ins

Anyone using Netscape 2.0 can now see and produce cross-platform inline
video on the web without plug-ins. Demo's at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~polder/

Smart Dubbing  is a software utility which enables small videoclips to
be played on a web page as they download. In contrast to AVI or
QuickTime movies, they show their content as they load. What you see is
what you get. That's better than a QuickTime plug-in which let you stare
at a blank screen while downloading a movie. Smart Dubbing uses existing
animated GIF-technology, to show inline movies.

Macintosh demo available.

2. Fast 2-D Clipping for Sorted Rect.

3. Transparent GIF's/JPG's

4. Whant c t can gnuplot do?

5. Third-Party GIF plug-ins?

6. 3D Polygon clipping

7. Making a Gif 'transparent'?

8. vertices of a polyhedron

9. additional layouts for gif-x plug-ins