Dual Moniters

Post by mike » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Actually the release date for W2k is Feb 17th, it's already been
released to manufacturers. There is however already a patch for it due
to a couple of security holes. One pretty major one.
Doesn't answer your question though, sorry.
This is from Matrox's website, maybe it will help?

How do I enable dual head under NT4 using the G400 DH card?
Answer:
- In the Matrox Display properties (4.1x drivers), go to the
performance tab and check the last "check-box" which should read "Use
Secondary Controller as Windows Monitor" (for newer drivers you will
find a Dual Head tab where you will need to select Multi Display).
Both monitors will need to be plugged in for this to work.

- Then go to the Settings tab and select the two monitors? icon on the
left-hand column. You should be able to move the slider for the
resolution in order to get a virtual desktop value such as 2048x768
(which is actually 1024x768 X2). NT will only allow you to use a
virtual desktop and not 2 different resolutions for both screens. If
you apply these settings, both monitors should light up. Please note
that dragging the resolution slider will show you an image at the top
of how the monitors are configured.

It took all of about 2 minutes to find. Hope it helps.
mike

Quote:>Hi group.
>I'm attempting to get a dual pentium3 workstation to work with two moniters.
>I have a Matrox G400 dual head 32Mb card. I am now told that this cannot be
>done with Windows NT4 although I have heard reports to the contrary. In fact
>someone in this group discussed the matter some months ago before I became
>interested in trying the same thing.
>Can some bright spark who has successfully made two moniters work with a
>dual head card and NT4 contact me please?.
>I bought the second moniter on the strength of the reports that it would
>work. I don't want to migrate to Win2K straight up to achieve that goal, as
>Microsoft are already talking about Service Pack 1 being ready in
>June......before the actual OS is officially released?....
>China

Dual Moniters

Post by china_k » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi group.
I'm attempting to get a dual pentium3 workstation to work with two moniters.
I have a Matrox G400 dual head 32Mb card. I am now told that this cannot be
done with Windows NT4 although I have heard reports to the contrary. In fact
someone in this group discussed the matter some months ago before I became
interested in trying the same thing.
Can some bright spark who has successfully made two moniters work with a
dual head card and NT4 contact me please?.
I bought the second moniter on the strength of the reports that it would
work. I don't want to migrate to Win2K straight up to achieve that goal, as
Microsoft are already talking about Service Pack 1 being ready in
June......before the actual OS is officially released?....
China

Dual Moniters

Post by Alex D. G » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

2 monitors are not gonna work on NT the way you want. They can both display
the same thing, but not like W98. If you are using Photoshop mostly, you can
move to W98 coz Photoshop has built in dual cpu support.

--
______________________

Alex D. G.
http://www.alexdg.com

Quote:> Hi group.
> I'm attempting to get a dual pentium3 workstation to work with two
moniters.
> I have a Matrox G400 dual head 32Mb card. I am now told that this cannot
be
> done with Windows NT4 although I have heard reports to the contrary. In
fact
> someone in this group discussed the matter some months ago before I became
> interested in trying the same thing.
> Can some bright spark who has successfully made two moniters work with a
> dual head card and NT4 contact me please?.
> I bought the second moniter on the strength of the reports that it would
> work. I don't want to migrate to Win2K straight up to achieve that goal,
as
> Microsoft are already talking about Service Pack 1 being ready in
> June......before the actual OS is officially released?....
> China

Dual Moniters

Post by china_k » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Alex. Unfortunately Win98 doesn't support dual processors or hard
drive spanning that Win NT4 does. It's OK from what I hear as an OS, but for
me it would be a backward step.
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
China

Dual Moniters

Post by china_k » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Aah Mike.... don't be too * me. You just used logical, clear and
lateral thinking...and I didn't.
Thanks for your trouble.
China

Dual Moniters

Post by mike » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

No problem. I've had lots of experience looking up stuff I don't
understand, LOL.
Did it work though?
mike

Quote:>Aah Mike.... don't be too * me. You just used logical, clear and
>lateral thinking...and I didn't.
>Thanks for your trouble.
>China

Dual Moniters

Post by Al » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

you could buy one of appians cards, they'll run two monitors from a single
card with all the functions you'll ever need. They are just about to launch
a permedia 3 based version

Al Dean