Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Post by Josh Umste » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Problem:  Can't get decent color matching between monitor and printer.
Prints are generally too dark, not enough yellow, too much red and
magenta, esp. in flesh tones.  Greens are darker in general, and
sometimes bluish.

Factors:  The printer is older, and not listed in printer profiles of
PS4.  I've tried setting up Printing Inks manually with marginal and
inconsistent results. I'm using win95, and recently tried using
Colorific Color Matching software to help in solution of this problem.
I've been reading everything I can, but still need some help short of
purchasing better hardware.

Steps I've Taken:  Installed colorific, which seemed to do a good job
calibrating my monitor and windows 95 ICM.  Updated Diamond Stealth 64
driver to Win95.  Obtained updated version of Epson Driver and compared
that to the driver within Win95.  So far the Win 95 driver seems to work
a little better.  I understand that this method of color matching works
better in RGB mode with PS's internal KPCMS disabled.  In the Separation
Tables I've tried building the separation profile with KPCMS, but I'm
not sure which input/output options to select since my printer isn't
listed as an option.  I've also tried calibrating the Printing Inks
setup manually and converting to CMYK for printing, but that's pretty
darn frustrating.  That's why I went with colorific.

for me.  I know I need a newer printer and better video card, but until
then, can someone help me.  I've found previous posts to this group very
informative.

Thank You

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Post by Chris C » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

First -- the Epson Inkjets want RGB data, not CMYK.  So, keep your image
in RGB, don't convert to CMYK.  This gets you a lot of improvement.

Chris

> --------------7FD380A06D3F3E5E613D1ED5

> Problem:  Can't get decent color matching between monitor and printer.
> Prints are generally too dark, not enough yellow, too much red and
> magenta, esp. in flesh tones.  Greens are darker in general, and
> sometimes bluish.

> Factors:  The printer is older, and not listed in printer profiles of
> PS4.  I've tried setting up Printing Inks manually with marginal and
> inconsistent results. I'm using win95, and recently tried using
> Colorific Color Matching software to help in solution of this problem.
> I've been reading everything I can, but still need some help short of
> purchasing better hardware.

> Steps I've Taken:  Installed colorific, which seemed to do a good job
> calibrating my monitor and windows 95 ICM.  Updated Diamond Stealth 64
> driver to Win95.  Obtained updated version of Epson Driver and compared
> that to the driver within Win95.  So far the Win 95 driver seems to work
> a little better.  I understand that this method of color matching works
> better in RGB mode with PS's internal KPCMS disabled.  In the Separation
> Tables I've tried building the separation profile with KPCMS, but I'm
> not sure which input/output options to select since my printer isn't
> listed as an option.  I've also tried calibrating the Printing Inks
> setup manually and converting to CMYK for printing, but that's pretty
> darn frustrating.  That's why I went with colorific.

> for me.  I know I need a newer printer and better video card, but until
> then, can someone help me.  I've found previous posts to this group very
> informative.

> Thank You

> --------------7FD380A06D3F3E5E613D1ED5

> begin:          vcard
> fn:             Josh  Umsted
> n:              Umsted;Josh

> note:           http://www.invsn.com/jumsted
> x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
> x-mozilla-html: TRUE
> version:        2.1
> end:            vcard

> --------------7FD380A06D3F3E5E613D1ED5--

Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Post by Sven Koerbe » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Josh,

in addition to what Chris has suggested, check your system's gamma. Work
through Timo Autikari's brilliant site about it. Before I knew what was
going on, my printer used to give me a hard time printing everything
much too dark, even in RGB mode.

The reason was that I had configured Photoshop for gamma 1.8 without
thinking about it, but my DJ 690C's driver expected gamma 2.5 input.
Thus, the pictures were much too dark. In addition to that, you can
download and print calibration sheets that enable you to set up a dot
gain compensation curve. It's some hours of work, but it has well paid
off for me.

Hope this helps,

Sven

Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Post by jums.. » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Thanks, Chris,
Just to clarify, when printing an RGB, I should print as CMYK, right?
Now, assuming my monitor is calibrated correctly using Colorific and
that data is entered into Photoshop's monitor setup, how should I
handle the separation tables and printing inks setup problem?

>First -- the Epson Inkjets want RGB data, not CMYK.  So, keep your image
>in RGB, don't convert to CMYK.  This gets you a lot of improvement.

>Chris

>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>> --------------7FD380A06D3F3E5E613D1ED5

>> Problem:  Can't get decent color matching between monitor and printer.
>> Prints are generally too dark, not enough yellow, too much red and
>> magenta, esp. in flesh tones.  Greens are darker in general, and
>> sometimes bluish.

>> Factors:  The printer is older, and not listed in printer profiles of
>> PS4.  I've tried setting up Printing Inks manually with marginal and
>> inconsistent results. I'm using win95, and recently tried using
>> Colorific Color Matching software to help in solution of this problem.
>> I've been reading everything I can, but still need some help short of
>> purchasing better hardware.

>> Steps I've Taken:  Installed colorific, which seemed to do a good job
>> calibrating my monitor and windows 95 ICM.  Updated Diamond Stealth 64
>> driver to Win95.  Obtained updated version of Epson Driver and compared
>> that to the driver within Win95.  So far the Win 95 driver seems to work
>> a little better.  I understand that this method of color matching works
>> better in RGB mode with PS's internal KPCMS disabled.  In the Separation
>> Tables I've tried building the separation profile with KPCMS, but I'm
>> not sure which input/output options to select since my printer isn't
>> listed as an option.  I've also tried calibrating the Printing Inks
>> setup manually and converting to CMYK for printing, but that's pretty
>> darn frustrating.  That's why I went with colorific.

>> for me.  I know I need a newer printer and better video card, but until
>> then, can someone help me.  I've found previous posts to this group very
>> informative.

>> Thank You

>> --------------7FD380A06D3F3E5E613D1ED5

>> begin:          vcard
>> fn:             Josh  Umsted
>> n:              Umsted;Josh

>> note:           http://www.invsn.com/jumsted
>> x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
>> x-mozilla-html: TRUE
>> version:        2.1
>> end:            vcard

>> --------------7FD380A06D3F3E5E613D1ED5--

Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Post by jums.. » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Sven,

problem.  I got my first good print in over 2 years on this system!
(isn't that sad...all that paper and ink...)
I recommend Colorific to any Win95 user.  Their URL is
www.colorific.com if you're interested.

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:02:01 +0200, "Sven Koerber"

>Josh,

>in addition to what Chris has suggested, check your system's gamma. Work
>through Timo Autikari's brilliant site about it. Before I knew what was
>going on, my printer used to give me a hard time printing everything
>much too dark, even in RGB mode.

>The reason was that I had configured Photoshop for gamma 1.8 without
>thinking about it, but my DJ 690C's driver expected gamma 2.5 input.
>Thus, the pictures were much too dark. In addition to that, you can
>download and print calibration sheets that enable you to set up a dot
>gain compensation curve. It's some hours of work, but it has well paid
>off for me.

>Hope this helps,

>Sven

Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Post by David W. Swage » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

And the solution from Colorific was?

I'm having a similar problem printing from Photoshop to the Epson
Stylus Photo.  When printing using ICM everything is way to dark
compared to the monitor, but in Photo or Photo Enhance mode color is
pretty decent.

>Sven,

>problem.  I got my first good print in over 2 years on this system!
>(isn't that sad...all that paper and ink...)
>I recommend Colorific to any Win95 user.  Their URL is
>www.colorific.com if you're interested.

Color Matching, PS and Epson Stylus Color ESC/P2 720DPI

Post by Walt Farre » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Can you provide the URL for Timo's site, please?

        Thanks,
        Walt

--

Post by Timo Autioka » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Can you provide the URL for Timo's site, please?

Hi, it is http://www.clinet.fi/~timothy/calibration/index.htm
BTW: I have upped a new version of the monitor calibration image. Comments would
be very welcome. The blackpoint is now more accurate and gray balance is easy to
do.

Timo Autiokari

1. FS: Epson Stylus Pro XL (13x19 720dpi color), Supplies

For Sale:

Complete high-end, large-format printing system with hard-to-find
supplies.

Epson Stylus Pro XL (max size 13x19, Tabloid size, super A3/B, and
everything below). Compatible with Mac or PC.

720 DPI Color (24 bits per pixel)

Incredible output. Photorealistic quality.

Used only a few times. Costs $1500+ new. Make offer.

Also available:

3 color, 3 black ink cartridges.
100 sheets 13x19 high-gloss Epson paper
100 sheets 13x19 720dpi Epson paper
100 sheets 11x17 high-gloss Epson paper
100 sheets 11x17 720dpi Epson paper
200 sheets 8.5x11 high-gloss Epson paper
500 sheets 8.5x11 720dpi Epson paper

Total value of supplies is $469 from Epson.

Selling price negotiable. Reply via email only.

Geoff

2. colorspace-faq -- FAQ about Colour and Gamma

3. BMRT.org gallery

4. fahrenheit 1280 drivers

5. Q: Color matching one a Epson Stylus

6. idea's

7. PS 4 with Epson Stylus Color

8. Printer calibration in PS: Epson Stylus Color II

9. Q: Color calibration for Epson Stylus Color?

10. Help: Color correction for Epson Stylus color

11. Epson Stylus Color vs. Pro Color