Help - w/ Font creation - newbie question

Help - w/ Font creation - newbie question

Post by David Potosk » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I was wondering how one can make fonts w/ Photoshop, or even if it
is possible.  I know that you are supposed to be able to do it with the
Corel Suite, so I thought you should be able to do it with Photoshop.

If someone has an answer or could direct me to a FAQ, I would appreciate
it.

To email me, remove SPAMFOILER from my email.

Many thanks in advance.

Help - w/ Font creation - newbie question

Post by Spamo » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:12:38 -0400, David Potosky

>Hi, I was wondering how one can make fonts w/ Photoshop, or even if it
>is possible.  I know that you are supposed to be able to do it with the
>Corel Suite, so I thought you should be able to do it with Photoshop.

>If someone has an answer or could direct me to a FAQ, I would appreciate
>it.

>To email me, remove SPAMFOILER from my email.

>Many thanks in advance.

I don't know how to make fonts myself, but since they are vector based
and photoshop is raster based.  I would have to say, no, you cannot
create fonts in photoshop.  You could do a websearch on fonts and find
a page where someone creates fonts and ask them what's the best way.
Sorry, but that's really all I know about that.

                        --Rick

Photoshop FAQ tutorials and other debris at
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/2237/

"He had alot to say.
 He had alot of nothing to say.
 We'll miss him."

                -Tool
                "Eulogy"

Post by Georges Ross » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:12:38 -0400,

Quote:>Hi, I was wondering how one can make fonts w/ Photoshop, or even if it
>is possible.  I know that you are supposed to be able to do it with the
>Corel Suite, so I thought you should be able to do it with Photoshop.

You can't make vectorial fonts (such as True Type or PS) with
Phtoshop. And the Corel suite is not very well suited for it either.

If you want to make TrueType or PStype 1 font, better to use a
dedicated software such as Fontographer.

--
Georges Rosset - Geneva/Switzerland

http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~rossetge

Help - w/ Font creation - newbie question

Post by Georges Ross » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:12:38 -0400,

Quote:>Hi, I was wondering how one can make fonts w/ Photoshop, or even if it
>is possible.  I know that you are supposed to be able to do it with the
>Corel Suite, so I thought you should be able to do it with Photoshop.

You can't make vectorial fonts (such as True Type or PS) with
Phtoshop. And the Corel suite is not very well suited for it either.

If you want to make TrueType or PStype 1 font, better to use a
dedicated software such as Fontographer.

--
Georges Rosset - Geneva/Switzerland

http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~rossetge

1. Help - w/ Font creation - newbie question

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:12:38 -0400, David Potosky

It can be done in the Corel Graphics suite because Corel Draw (one of
the three major programs included in the suite) is a vector
application.  Photoshop, which is a raster (bitmap) application, is
not designed for this sort of task.  You might check into the new
version of Illustrator, Adobe's draw program, and see if it can handle
font creation.  One would hope so, but from what I've heard from those
who've tried it, Illustrator 7 doesn't even *begin* to equate with the
latest Corel Draw.

Shoshanna Moser

2. NetSketch available at download.com

3. Creation of screen fonts help

4. looping animations

5. Newbie question - wiggle fonts

6. Mesa dos.

7. stupid newbie question-font style

8. PS to GIF converter?

9. Newbie Question about font

10. Newbie needs help with Font Jaggies 2

11. Newbie looking for help on fonts.

12. newbie q: sprite creation

13. Illustration/Font Creation/Web Design