What is the best resolution for scanning 35mm negatives

What is the best resolution for scanning 35mm negatives

Post by Jeremy Le » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 01:00:01

I am new to this, just bought a new scanner and experimenting how to scan my
negatives.

I want to scan them to a size of about 1024 pixels width. What is the
optimum resolution to scan at? It appears that anything more than 600 does
not show much improvement.

Appreciate any advice.

What is the best resolution for scanning 35mm negatives

Post by (Pete Cresswell » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 01:36:36

RE/

Quote:>I want to scan them to a size of about 1024 pixels width. What is the
>optimum resolution to scan at? It appears that anything more than 600 does
>not show much improvement.

Depends on what you want to do with the scans.

I scan at 4000 dpi and save as JPEG level 70 because I view them
through ThumbsPlus and like to zoom a lot.

TIFFs, at that rez, however, get really big and take too long to
load...
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

What is the best resolution for scanning 35mm negatives

Post by Stepha » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 02:31:20

Scan them at the highest possible resolution
This way you get the most detail out and create
digital copy of your slide for archival
Then make a copy of that copy for printing at the
size you entend to print and at around 300dpi.
 Don't make the mistake of scanning at a res good
enough for screen:
in ten years from now viewing/printing equipment
will be much better than today
and you'll be happy to have high res copies.
Some people put their slides on VHS tapes because
it looked good on their TV,
Imagine how sorry they are now.

Stephan

message

Quote:> I am new to this, just bought a new scanner and

experimenting how to scan my
Quote:> negatives.

> I want to scan them to a size of about 1024

pixels width. What is the
Quote:> optimum resolution to scan at? It appears that

anything more than 600 does
Quote:> not show much improvement.

> Appreciate any advice.

What is the best resolution for scanning 35mm negatives

Post by UrbanVoyeu » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 02:56:59

Visit www.scantips.com

There is a good explanation of output size and resolution.

www.urbanvoyeur.com

Quote:> I am new to this, just bought a new scanner and experimenting how to scan
my

Post by Chri » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 06:31:44

> message

> > I am new to this, just bought a new scanner and
> > experimenting how to scan my
> > negatives.

> > I want to scan them to a size of about 1024
> > pixels width. What is the
> > optimum resolution to scan at? It appears that
> > anything more than 600 does
> > not show much improvement.

> > Appreciate any advice.

> Scan them at the highest possible resolution
<...>

> Stephan

I'd amend that to read "scan at the highest possible optical resolution"
of your scanner. A scanner with a 600 ppi optical resolution will let
you type in some horrendously large number (like 9,600). The extra 9,000
ppi are coming from the ether ... made up data that doesn't represent
additional detail, just pixels made up through interpolation.

So, find out what the optical resolution of your scanner is, and scan no
higher. Downsample in Photoshop.

--
Chris
I didn1t believe in reincarnation in any of my other lives.

What is the best resolution for scanning 35mm negatives

Post by Stepha » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 06:55:21

Right.

Stephan

in message

tnews.attbi.com...

in
> > message

> > > I am new to this, just bought a new scanner
and
> > > experimenting how to scan my
> > > negatives.

> > > I want to scan them to a size of about 1024
> > > pixels width. What is the
> > > optimum resolution to scan at? It appears
that
> > > anything more than 600 does
> > > not show much improvement.

> > > Appreciate any advice.

> In article

> > Scan them at the highest possible resolution
> <...>

> > Stephan

> I'd amend that to read "scan at the highest

possible optical resolution"
Quote:> of your scanner. A scanner with a 600 ppi

optical resolution will let
Quote:> you type in some horrendously large number (like

9,600). The extra 9,000
Quote:> ppi are coming from the ether ... made up data

that doesn't represent
Quote:> additional detail, just pixels made up through
interpolation.

> So, find out what the optical resolution of your

scanner is, and scan no
Quote:> higher. Downsample in Photoshop.

> --
> Chris
> I didn1t believe in reincarnation in any of my
other lives.
> I don1t see why I should have to believe in it

in this one.

What is the best resolution for scanning 35mm negatives

Post by ceessge » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 03:17:41

My advice would be try out Ed Hamrick`s Vuescan, A first rate scanning prog
and better than the manufacturers for my ScanDual. It downloads very
quickly!

> Visit www.scantips.com

> There is a good explanation of output size and resolution.

> --
> www.urbanvoyeur.com

> > I am new to this, just bought a new scanner and experimenting how to
scan
> my
> > negatives.

> > I want to scan them to a size of about 1024 pixels width. What is the
> > optimum resolution to scan at? It appears that anything more than 600
does
> > not show much improvement.

> > Appreciate any advice.

1. Scanning Resolution for Output to 35mm negatives

I have read lots of articles with reference to scanning resolutions, but
they all seem to refer to outputting to printers.  I wish to have my
manipulated images written back to 35mm negatives, and wonder if anyone
knows of a simple formula for scanned resolution to achieve the optimum
image size (like the oft quoted 2 x lpi for printers)? I wish to make
20" x 16" photographic prints from these negatives. The lab I use said I
was using too high a resolution (2700 dpi), and they reduced this to 450
dpi, however, the images were highly pixelated when printed, and gave
the impression of poor focus. The lab rewrote these at the original
resolution, which were fine, but I feel that the optimum is between the
two, giving a more reasonable file size.  All thoughts welcome.
--
Mike Birbeck

2. Watermark

3. scanning 35mm color negatives

4. glReadPixels clipping?

5. Scanner help/advice?

6. 35mm negative scanning

7. multiple line colors

8. 35mm slide and 35mm negative images?

9. Scan resolution for a 35mm transparency?

10. Scan Resolution To Make Negative

11. 35mmScanner Best way to scan 35mm