3.0.5 Win95 Crashes ALOT

3.0.5 Win95 Crashes ALOT

Post by 'Bobby' A R Gonzal » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00



Whenever I work with and manipulate a layer by moving it,
Photoshop crashes. It's gotten to the point where I
need to save my work everytime I want to move a layer.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, could it be
fixed?

I'm using a P100 w/ 16MB RAM

I think that its ridiculous that the program should
crash by performing a simple operation like this.
Its really making me want to do a cross-platform
upgrade to a Mac (the Macs at school have never crashed
on me).

Thanks in advance.
__
         /||_    _ |_  _  _ _   /~~ _  _ __ _ |  _  ,
        /~||_)|~(_|| )(_|| | ) (__)(_)| )/_(_||_(/_/_)

        http://weber.u.washington.edu/~gonzales

 
 
 

3.0.5 Win95 Crashes ALOT

Post by Mick O'Dwy » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00




Quote:> Whenever I work with and manipulate a layer by moving it,
> Photoshop crashes. It's gotten to the point where I
> need to save my work everytime I want to move a layer.
> Has anyone else had this problem? If so, could it be
> fixed?

> I'm using a P100 w/ 16MB RAM

> I think that its ridiculous that the program should
> crash by performing a simple operation like this.
> Its really making me want to do a cross-platform
> upgrade to a Mac (the Macs at school have never crashed
> on me).

> Thanks in advance.
> __

Bobby,

When you create a new layer you're increasing the file size in direct
proportion to the amount of information you put into the new layer. That
is, if you copy the background layer, for example, and paste it into a new
layer you double the size of your file....an 8MB one layer file becomes a
16Mb two layer file. Aside from doubling your file size you will also have
the last action you made * up your RAM - so if your last action was
to copy 8MB then Photoshop has to remember what you just did - in RAM -
in case you want to "undo" it. What you do when you save is to clear the
*and free up some more RAM.

It dinna matter whether you're using a PC or a Mac - I use a Mac - if you
dinna have enough RAM you're going to have the same problem.

You should have around twice to three times the amount of free RAM as the
file size you're working on; to work comfortably. RAM is really really
silly cheap at the moment, get another 32Mb (around 180) and you'll be
flying.

Also make sure you have plenty of free space on your scratch disks.

Mick.

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/~mikeyod/

 
 
 

3.0.5 Win95 Crashes ALOT

Post by Erik Johnso » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00


Quote:> Also make sure you have plenty of free space on your scratch disks.

Yes, the only times I've ever had photoshop crash was when it ran out
of scratch disk space.

-Erik Johnson

http://phidias.colorado.edu/vgallery.html

 
 
 

3.0.5 Win95 Crashes ALOT

Post by Jeffrey A. Fior » Sun, 11 Aug 1996 04:00:00



> > Also make sure you have plenty of free space on your scratch disks.

> Yes, the only times I've ever had photoshop crash was when it ran out
> of scratch disk space.

> -Erik Johnson

> http://phidias.colorado.edu/vgallery.html

I've been using 3.0.5 for about 6 weeks and I never crashed. One thing
you should be aware of is Photoshop is a memory hog (depends on the size
of image normally my images are 1.5 meg). When I load, it uses 12 meg of
memory. My PC has 40 meg of mem and when working with layers, I
constantly run out of physical memory and start swapping to scratch disk
constantly. With 1 photo loaded and 3 layers my memory usage is usually
at 47 - 50 meg of memory so I'm using 7 - 10 meg of virtual memory
(scratch disk). I do plan to install another 32 meg of memory.
 
 
 

3.0.5 Win95 Crashes ALOT

Post by OilPai » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00


On Sat, 10 Aug 1996 00:22:11 -0400, "Jeffrey A. Fiore"



>> > Also make sure you have plenty of free space on your scratch disks.

>> Yes, the only times I've ever had photoshop crash was when it ran out
>> of scratch disk space.

>> -Erik Johnson

>> http://phidias.colorado.edu/vgallery.html

>I've been using 3.0.5 for about 6 weeks and I never crashed. One thing
>you should be aware of is Photoshop is a memory hog (depends on the size
>of image normally my images are 1.5 meg). When I load, it uses 12 meg of
>memory. My PC has 40 meg of mem and when working with layers, I
>constantly run out of physical memory and start swapping to scratch disk
>constantly. With 1 photo loaded and 3 layers my memory usage is usually
>at 47 - 50 meg of memory so I'm using 7 - 10 meg of virtual memory
>(scratch disk). I do plan to install another 32 meg of memory.

I have 28 meg of memory, with 3.05 and my system has never crashed in
Photoshop. I am using a low resolution say 72 pixels this works fine
and keeps the memory down.

CrAsh

 
 
 

1. LW7b Crashes Alot.

One thing I have always noticed about Lightwave 7... The modeler is very
stable, but the layout crashes ALOT. If i can go 30 minutes without a crash
in layout, I am surprised.

I usually get an error in 'lwtools3.dll' (Faulting application lightwav.exe,
version 0.0.0.0, faulting module lwtools3.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault
address 0x000acc00.)

Very annoying indeed. I use Lightwave 7.b in Windows XP Pro with Geforce 3
(nvidia 23.11) and Athlon 1700XP.

2. FYI: New file browser for Paintshop Pro, Dreamweaver, Frontpage, Flash users

3. Illustrator crashes Win95

4. LOOKING FOR WRITERS/PROGRAMMERS/GRAPHICS ARTISTS/ETC.

5. Illustrator 4.1 crashes WIN95

6. How to make Screen Saver using VB?

7. Dimension & Illustration Crash on Win95

8. high quality vector format

9. Fonts crashing 4.0 on Win95

10. WIN95 crashes

11. win95 crash and burn

12. PShop+Win95+Matrox video+JPG = crash