RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by Edward M. Bau » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am putting together a full color brochure using a number of digitized
photographic images.  I am experiencing a change in the screen
appearance of the document depending on whether the placed images are in
RGB or CMYK format.

I am using a Mac 8500 with system 8.1.

I've worked on the images in Photoshop (4) in RGB mode.  When I batch
change them to CMYK mode before placing them in the document, their
appearance doesn't change on the screen.  When I place them in Pagemaker
6.5, however, the CMYK images lose their realism and color subtlety and
appear almost flourescent.  But when I place RGB images in the Pagemaker
document, they appear fine.

What is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Ed in Dallas

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by Chris C » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

PageMaker doesn't use the same algorithms for displaying CMYK color as
Photoshop  -- so the on screen preview won't be as accurate, but should
print correctly.

Chris

In article

Quote:> I am putting together a full color brochure using a number of digitized
> photographic images.  I am experiencing a change in the screen
> appearance of the document depending on whether the placed images are in
> RGB or CMYK format.

> I am using a Mac 8500 with system 8.1.

> I've worked on the images in Photoshop (4) in RGB mode.  When I batch
> change them to CMYK mode before placing them in the document, their
> appearance doesn't change on the screen.  When I place them in Pagemaker
> 6.5, however, the CMYK images lose their realism and color subtlety and
> appear almost flourescent.  But when I place RGB images in the Pagemaker
> document, they appear fine.

> What is happening?

> Thanks in advance!

> Ed in Dallas

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by Colin Wilso » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

It seems to be a general screen display problem with CMYK images in
Pagemaker, and is common to both Macs and PCs.

I batch convert all my files to CMYK at the very end of the job, immediately
before sending them to a filmhouse or printer. This saves space (since CMYK
images are 33% larger) and avoids this screen display problem.

Ignore the Pagemaker screen display and go by Photoshop (providing your
PS4.0 is reasonably calibrated).

Cheers
Colin Wilson
Publishing Innovations

t>...

Quote:>I am putting together a full color brochure using a number of digitized
>photographic images.  I am experiencing a change in the screen
>appearance of the document depending on whether the placed images are in
>RGB or CMYK format.

>I am using a Mac 8500 with system 8.1.

>I've worked on the images in Photoshop (4) in RGB mode.  When I batch
>change them to CMYK mode before placing them in the document, their
>appearance doesn't change on the screen.  When I place them in Pagemaker
>6.5, however, the CMYK images lose their realism and color subtlety and
>appear almost flourescent.  But when I place RGB images in the Pagemaker
>document, they appear fine.

>What is happening?

>Thanks in advance!

>Ed in Dallas

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by Copper9 » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

if you intend on printing this thing, go with the CMYK. The RGB images will not
seperate. In fact, they'll most likely just crash and*off your pre-press
house!

just a thought

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by Brian Taylo » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

The images may look strange when swapped to CMYK. Im not sure why, but I
experience the same. But when printed out as seperations for 4 colour
process printing they print fine.

t>...

Quote:>I am putting together a full color brochure using a number of digitized
>photographic images.  I am experiencing a change in the screen
>appearance of the document depending on whether the placed images are in
>RGB or CMYK format.

>I am using a Mac 8500 with system 8.1.

>I've worked on the images in Photoshop (4) in RGB mode.  When I batch
>change them to CMYK mode before placing them in the document, their
>appearance doesn't change on the screen.  When I place them in Pagemaker
>6.5, however, the CMYK images lose their realism and color subtlety and
>appear almost flourescent.  But when I place RGB images in the Pagemaker
>document, they appear fine.

>What is happening?

>Thanks in advance!

>Ed in Dallas

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by Fran » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Brian Taylor wrote>...

Quote:>The images may look strange when swapped to CMYK. Im not sure
why, but I
>experience the same. But when printed out as seperations for 4
colour
>process printing they print fine.

It has to do with adjusting the Display filters, in
co-operation with the graphics board one uses and the monitor
itself. A monitor display's only RGB, so if the 'on-line'
conversion isn't set properly, it looks like a mess sometimes.
Sometimes with the graphic board there is documentation
available how to do this.
I have this problem in Photoshop. Converting from RGB to CMYK
gives a lot of red in the pictures, also on separated films. So
I must edit each picture separately and don't have a
straight-forward solution for it. Some other photo's convert
nicely. This inconsistency I cannot explain.

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by William Eva » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:03:09 -0500, "Edward M. Baum"

>I am putting together a full color brochure using a number of digitized
>photographic images.  I am experiencing a change in the screen
>appearance of the document depending on whether the placed images are in
>RGB or CMYK format.

>I am using a Mac 8500 with system 8.1.

>I've worked on the images in Photoshop (4) in RGB mode.  When I batch
>change them to CMYK mode before placing them in the document, their
>appearance doesn't change on the screen.  When I place them in Pagemaker
>6.5, however, the CMYK images lose their realism and color subtlety and
>appear almost flourescent.  But when I place RGB images in the Pagemaker
>document, they appear fine.

>What is happening?

>Thanks in advance!

>Ed in Dallas

The RGB display correct because they are RGB and looked right on your
monitor in the application they were created. CMYK images in PS are
displayed on screen by Photoshop as RGB representation of the file.
This RGB screen image is created internaly by PS by running the CMYK
back through the color conversion (CMYK-RGB) before sending it to
screen. (sort of a CMYK preview in reverse)

Be sure PM's color management is turned on and that you have selected
the  correct profiles. When set up right it does a good job of
displaying most CMYK images. Be sure to set your inks to the proper
profile also.

With the proper profiles and color management on, if you then export
to PDF you will be able to see a quite accurate soft proof of your PM
file.  Great for finding problems before sending out for films.

For pages larger than 8.5 x11, select a postcript driver, set the
driver to 100% and Auto Tile, print the file to disk and then run
through Distiller at Print Quality. This PDF file can then be printed
on a lower end color inkjet with supprisingly accurate results. (this
process can create a extremely large Postscript file so be sure to
have plenty of spare space on your drive)

jay evans
hayman studio inc

"Who is John Gault?"

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by The Gee » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

There are a lot of things to consider when you are preparing to send your
work to a prepress department. The most important thing is, do you trust the
colorhouse you are sending your work to? As far as using PageMaker, and the
colors appearing differant, the other gentleman was correct in telling you
that the algorythm was differant, and it will display differantly. Most
RIP's won't handle RGB images, so you will have to convert them to CMYK the
format we always use is a 5 part DCS file. Just remember to send the high
res along with the pointer file. Cooper925 was right in saying that sending
RGB files might*of the prepress department... I have spent hours
troubleshooting a document only to find that it was an RGB file crashing the
Rips. Good luck.

>if you intend on printing this thing, go with the CMYK. The RGB images will
not
>seperate. In fact, they'll most likely just crash and*off your
pre-press
>house!

>just a thought

RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

Post by Bo Hanse » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Dear fellow PageMaker friends

I really think this thread is making a big problem out of something which is
not a problem at all. I can in no way agree with you, Ralf Hasse, when you
write: "..what unfortunately makes PageMaker unusable for on-screen-design
purposes. I'm working with it and I like most of it, but that's almost
ridiculous for a market-leader in desktop-publishing".

William Evans has got the point when he writes: "Be sure PM's color
management is turned on and that you have selected
the  correct profiles... etc.".

The correct set up and use of PM's color management will give you a splendid
color preview also when working with CMYK images. Look in your manual and
help files to see how it's done. It might take some time to set up (and
experimenting if some of your devices - scanner, screen, printer etc. - are
not on the list. See if you can download their profiles or find
compatibles), but once it's done you will get correct previews.

Try it - you'll like it.

Best regards
Bo Hansen

Oh, forgot to say that this is true for Windows PC's. Don't know a thing
about Mac - but probably it's no different?

Post by Powell Hargra » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I have a question on CMYK images that's partially-related to this thread - I
>have many images to scan, first to put on the web and later to print on an
>inkjet printer.  I'm wondering if it's fine to scan the images in RGB format,
>then later convert to CMYK in photoshop, or if they need to be scanned twice -
>once in RGB for the web, then again in CMYK format for printing.

Most inkjet printers want to fed RGB images.

  Powell Hargrave             Digital Camera photo page at:
 Remove NOSPAM to reply.   http://www.mala.bc.ca/~nag/photos.htm

1. RGB and CMYK images in Pagemaker

I am putting together a full color brochure using a number of digitized
photographic images.  I am experiencing a change in the screen
appearance of the document depending on whether the placed images are in
RGB or CMYK format.

I am using a Mac 8500 with system 8.1.

I've worked on the images in Photoshop (4) in RGB mode.  When I batch
change them to CMYK mode before placing them in the document, their
appearance doesn't change on the screen.  When I place them in Pagemaker
6.5, however, the CMYK images lose their realism and color subtlety and
appear almost flourescent.  But when I place RGB images in the Pagemaker
document, they appear fine.

What is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Ed in Dallas

2. Invitation to serious animators.

3. Multichannel image to CMYK image (or RGB)

4. Inspire 3D

5. help rgb->cmyk, ycc->cmyk, TIFF

6. Giving LW files to customers

7. HSB to CMYK or RGB to CMYK formula

8. Looking for suggestions on how to set up the lighting to make a daylight scene look more real.

9. help rgb->cmyk, ycc->cmyk, TIFF

10. could neone help me in getting Tiff Images RGB,CMYK color formats with associated/unassociated alpha